Wane not interested in NRL players

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
TV Warrior

Re: Wane not interested in NRL players

Post by TV Warrior »

Shaun Wane is either being disingenuous and trying to put a bit of spin on things when addressing the subject or is being worryingly zealous with regards to having a team of locals.

I'm not from Wigan so don't feel the pride a lot of you may feel at seeing a team full of Wiganers pulling on the shirt & though I do like seeing the youth products it is not the Wigan I recall. There has to be a place for quality additions from down under. This doesn't have to be an Inglis or a Thurston or the modern day equivalents of Inga, Renouf or the like. A Pat Richards, a George Carmont, a Vialiki(okay not a Vialiki), would be welcome additions to a squad of home grown and SL sourced players.

Not only would it be good on the paddock it would be good off of it. Foreign sportsmen can bring different outlooks and practices which youngsters,experienced pros and even coaches, can learn from.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

The fact remains that our game cannot no longer attracts star players from Union or players at their peak from the NRL as they are now on more money than our game can provide.

Why do you think that all clubs in the Super League now have more home produced players in their squads and there are less players from Union and the NRL than in the great days of the past. Surplus players going to the smaller clubs at the end of each season due to them not having Academies like the bigger clubs.

Unless our game attracts bigger television deals, bigger sponsorships etc which would allow a massive increase in the Salary Cap, we will continue to struggle.

The game has also got to face up to the fact that we now have too many clubs along the M62 corridor now with the lack of finance and the number of people watching it.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

DaveO wrote:
morley pie eater wrote: I would think Wane knows as well as we all do that signing players of the calibre of Greg Inglis etc is very unlikely or impossible.

The question then becomes "What should he say to the press?" If he admits the above, the message to Wigan players is "We'll have to stick with you second rate players, though we'd obviously prefer better Aussies if we could afford them."

Now a good coach would surely use the opportunity to boost player morale and say "I don't need the likes of Greg Inglis, I'm happy with what I've got."

Just a thought . . .
So he thinks his players are all thick then?

Everyone knows what the salary cap is in the NRL and here, including the players.

Our players will know we can't sign Greg Inglis just like the fans so I think the idea Wane is engaged in some subtle moral boosting bit of mind games is reading far too much into this.

If we get the marquee rule I think ruling out NRL players is stupid.

Also even without it sometimes you get lucky. For example if a Pat Richards walked up and did as he did and basically wanted the opportunity his skills afford him to sample life here, we would be idiotic to knock such a player back.
Afraid I'm thick too then, Dave, cos I'd rather hear my boss say I'm doing a good job and he's not looking to replace me, than hear him going on about how much better somebody else is.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

morley pie eater wrote:
DaveO wrote:
morley pie eater wrote: I would think Wane knows as well as we all do that signing players of the calibre of Greg Inglis etc is very unlikely or impossible.

The question then becomes "What should he say to the press?" If he admits the above, the message to Wigan players is "We'll have to stick with you second rate players, though we'd obviously prefer better Aussies if we could afford them."

Now a good coach would surely use the opportunity to boost player morale and say "I don't need the likes of Greg Inglis, I'm happy with what I've got."

Just a thought . . .

Everyone knows what the salary cap is in the NRL and here, including the players.

Our players will know we can't sign Greg Inglis just like the fans so I think the idea Wane is engaged in some subtle moral boosting bit of mind games is reading far too much into this.

Also even without it sometimes you get lucky. For example if a Pat Richards walked up and did as he did and basically wanted the opportunity his skills afford him to sample life here, we would be idiotic to knock such a player back.
Afraid I'm thick too then, Dave, cos I'd rather hear my boss say I'm doing a good job and he's not looking to replace me, than hear him going on about how much better somebody else is.
It's about motivation not intelligence!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Well as Mr Wane likes to remind us about the great 80's and 90's. That era was built on knowing you could be replaced and indeed some would be replaced as the team became better and better, more successful. The legends would even suggest players to sign. Lest MPE forgets this is sport not normal business economics / working practices.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

cpwigan wrote:Well as Mr Wane likes to remind us about the great 80's and 90's. That era was built on knowing you could be replaced and indeed some would be replaced as the team became better and better, more successful. The legends would even suggest players to sign. Lest MPE forgets this is sport not normal business economics / working practices.
With all due respect, cp, your response shows one of the problems with this forum: I state a reasonable pov, but it can't be accepted as such by some. Instead it is disected, analysed, and battered to death.

I read the posts regularly but post occasionally because the whole process becomes so tiresome.

OK then, if you want to extend it ad infinitum - What exactly does "not normal business economics" mean??? That me saying I'd be motivated more by a boss who appreciated/valued me than one who publicly states he'd rather have "someone better" doesn't work cos "this is sport". Hands up all who agree with cp . . . what, just one? :lol:
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

morley pie eater wrote:
DaveO wrote:

Just a thought . . .

Some are just spoiling for an argument and a chance to knock Wane.

If he'd said he'd be keen to sign an NRL player(s) the same people would be in uproar saying he's not managing the current players properly and how it'd affect morale.

As a coach he has to answer questions when he's being interviewed. He does a decent job of it most of the time, but still there are Wigan fans who are waiting to pounce on anything he says that they can complain about.

Also, if he actually is on the look-out for any NRL players, then he'd be right to keep it under his hat for now as well.
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

morley pie eater wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Well as Mr Wane likes to remind us about the great 80's and 90's. That era was built on knowing you could be replaced and indeed some would be replaced as the team became better and better, more successful. The legends would even suggest players to sign. Lest MPE forgets this is sport not normal business economics / working practices.
With all due respect, cp, your response shows one of the problems with this forum: I state a reasonable pov, but it can't be accepted as such by some. Instead it is disected, analysed, and battered to death.

I read the posts regularly but post occasionally because the whole process becomes so tiresome.

OK then, if you want to extend it ad infinitum - What exactly does "not normal business economics" mean??? That me saying I'd be motivated more by a boss who appreciated/valued me than one who publicly states he'd rather have "someone better" doesn't work cos "this is sport". Hands up all who agree with cp . . . what, just one? :lol:
:omg: So as long as you agree with MPE then everything is fine otherwise he personalises his response and complains :roll: Come on old boy, your son understood how to debate, you :conf:

So you think employment in sport is exactly the same as other businesses?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

yokozuna wrote:
morley pie eater wrote:
DaveO wrote: So he thinks his players are all thick then?

Some are just spoiling for an argument and a chance to knock Wane.

If he'd said he'd be keen to sign an NRL player(s) the same people would be in uproar saying he's not managing the current players properly and how it'd affect morale.

As a coach he has to answer questions when he's being interviewed. He does a decent job of it most of the time, but still there are Wigan fans who are waiting to pounce on anything he says that they can complain about.

Also, if he actually is on the look-out for any NRL players, then he'd be right to keep it under his hat for now as well.
Not really, he would do better to stop courting the media as it is not his forte. What do you think?
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

I don't think he's actively courting the media so much as simply responding to questions in post match press conferences and other duties he's obliged to take part in.

He's not perfect at this side of his job,but he's not the worst either. I think Wigan fans will be more critical of him than most - as other fans will be more critical of their team's coach and what they say.
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.