Kevin Sinfield nominated for Sports Personality of the Year 2015

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
jao 711

Re: Kevin Sinfield nominated for Sports Personality of the Year 2015

Post by jao 711 »

Whelley Warrior wrote:The fact that he did better than more well known names like the tax dodger Louis Hamilton is good enough for me.
If rugby league players were earning Hamilton's money believe me they would be looking for ways to pay less tax.Just like we all do , on a smaller scale of course.
old hooker

Re: Sinfield

Post by old hooker »

sheepsteeth wrote:I'm made up he didn't win.

In fact i was greatly disappointed he even got nominated.

and me
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

jao 711 wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:The fact that he did better than more well known names like the tax dodger Louis Hamilton is good enough for me.
If rugby league players were earning Hamilton's money believe me they would be looking for ways to pay less tax.Just like we all do , on a smaller scale of course.
So your justifying all forms of tax evasion and illegal claimants on the DSS?

After all Hamilton got educated here on our taxes used our services and health care paid by us so are you justifying him not paying?
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

josie andrews wrote: :lol: Don't you mean Jessica Ennis-Hill??
Spellchecker not good Josie.
That's my excuse. ????????
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

I think what is interesting whether or not you think Sinfield should have been there or not is the power of social media and electronic voting.

Who, outside of Leeds would have bothered to cut a slip of paper out of a newspaper and post it in for Sinfield? (That is what you had to to do in the olden days!).

Who would have been prompting the wider RL community to vote for him were the Internet not around for that to happen? And how would they have done it?

Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

The fact that over 200,000 thousand people voted for him and he came second to a more well known national sporting figure and well ahead of another more well known national figure speaks volumes for the supporters of our game and a kick in the teeth for those who say that is a overated player just because he plays for Leeds.

How many would be saying it if he had been a member of their club's squad?

As someone who saw him stand out in a schoolboys county game at Central Park, just prior to signing for Leeds, I said to my mate, 'that lad will will go far' and I have been proved right.

A great captain and popular respected club man as shown by the atitude of his fellow Leeds players.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Whelley Warrior wrote:The fact that over 200,000 thousand people voted for him and he came second to a more well known national sporting figure and well ahead of another more well known national figure speaks volumes for the supporters of our game and a kick in the teeth for those who say that is a overated player just because he plays for Leeds.

As someone who saw him stand out in a schoolboys county game at Central Park, just prior to signing for Leeds, I said to my mate, 'that lad will will go far' and I have been proved right.

A great captain and popular respected club man as shown by the atitude of his fellow Leeds players.
yet i bet 2 thirds of people that voted only voted for Rugby League and not for Kevin Sinfield the person
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Glad for the sport/Sinfield but SPOTY is a sham like the majority of such award. The winner was not the best candidate whilst many of the other award were similarly poor choices.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

medlocke wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:The fact that over 200,000 thousand people voted for him and he came second to a more well known national sporting figure and well ahead of another more well known national figure speaks volumes for the supporters of our game and a kick in the teeth for those who say that is a overated player just because he plays for Leeds.

yet i bet 2 thirds of people that voted only voted for Rugby League and not for Kevin Sinfield the person
Maybe so but does not hide the fact he was the leader of a side that won the lot last season and that deserves some recognition and if we won the treble and SOL was not in SPOTY you would be the first to complain.

Its rather nice that the RL community can do this just shows how popular the game actually is.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

thegimble wrote:
medlocke wrote:

Maybe so but does not hide the fact he was the leader of a side that won the lot last season and that deserves some recognition and if we won the treble and SOL was not in SPOTY you would be the first to complain.

Its rather nice that the RL community can do this just shows how popular the game actually is.
more like gifted :wink: