Budgie

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Joe Burgess to Souths

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Apparently till the end of the season before he hooks back up with us
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
jao711

Budgie to Souths

Post by jao711 »

Joe Burgess has joined the Rabbitohs for the rest of the NRL season.
josie andrews

Re: Joe Burgess to Souths

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:Apparently till the end of the season before he hooks back up with us
This has already been alluded to, twice, in the Budgie thread on Web Warriors

Moved & merged
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Budgie to Souths

Post by josie andrews »

jao711 wrote:Joe Burgess has joined the Rabbitohs for the rest of the NRL season.
Moved & merged, to the "Budgie" thread as it has already been alluded to several times now
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Budgie

Post by Mike »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:Perhaps some would have been happy for him to go to another club!
Who has said that?
Whelley did. Perhaps he would have been happy for him to go to another club?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Whelley Warrior wrote:Where are all the comments that it is wrong to re-sign former Academy players ?
Who has ever said that?

If what you are alluding to is IL's so called policy of letting players go before their contract is up if they want so they will come back that doesn't apply here. Budgie was out of contract and sorted his own move to Oz out without Wigan's blessing.

I do think when IL re-signed Mossop and Joel T it was to prove a point that this so called policy works regardless of whether there were not better players available or if we actually needed these players back. Virtually tieing the clubs hands to re-sign players who go to Oz is a bad idea IMO. I'd rather the club decide on signings on merit. In Budgie's case I am sure they have but as I said he wasn't one given the special treatment of being allowed to leave early in his contract in the first place.
JUKESAYS

Post by JUKESAYS »

DaveO wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:Where are all the comments that it is wrong to re-sign former Academy players ?
Who has ever said that?

If what you are alluding to is IL's so called policy of letting players go before their contract is up if they want so they will come back that doesn't apply here. Budgie was out of contract and sorted his own move to Oz out without Wigan's blessing.

I do think when IL re-signed Mossop and Joel T it was to prove a point that this so called policy works regardless of whether there were not better players available or if we actually needed these players back. Virtually tieing the clubs hands to re-sign players who go to Oz is a bad idea IMO. I'd rather the club decide on signings on merit. In Budgie's case I am sure they have but as I said he wasn't one given the special treatment of being allowed to leave early in his contract in the first place.
What about Sam T? Or are you just mentioning Mossop & Joel as you think that will back your argument up better - It either applies to all 3 or it doesn't?

And "Implying" as you usually do that the club sign these players back to "prove a Point" is ridiculous & " prove a point that this so called policy works regardless of whether there were not better players available or if we actually needed these players back." and then saying "Virtually tieing the clubs hands to re-sign players who go to Oz is a bad idea IMO" when the club are nowhere near having their hands tied is just pure speculation.

What "Evidence" do you have that this was just to "Prove a point"?
Why were Wigan's hands tied to bring Joel/Mossop AND SAM TOMKINS back etc.
What evidence that it was anything other than a RL Decision?

My understanding is the club Protect themselves with the contracts they give players and the club know they will be compensated if the player (And you can dress this up anyway you want) decides he'd like to leave for NRL/RU.
Now I've seen your previous arguments regarding honouring contracts and I get what your saying - Just sign 3 years if 3 years is what they're going to stay etc. - However I think that may be an over simplistic view of the situation and I do believe that Wigan giving the player the security of the longer deal, whilst not chaining the player to the club and in return Wigan get a fee and most importantly said player leaves on good terms seems to be working.

We get first dibs when they come back (We aren't "Tied" to resigning them)and (Moving slightly off topic here) the fact that a lot of them seem to want to come back doesn't stack up with the other conspiracy theorists who claim SW runs some kind of Prison/Torture camp that the players want to leave like they would wants us to believe.

No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

JS.
You and I both know how much trouble Wigan went to to look after Budgie and his family from the day he left so that IF and/or WHEN he left Aus they would be in the best position to get him back playing for Wigan. The club (as a whole) must be doing something right to attract them back.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

I personally think they want them back because they feel they are good players, not because IL gets to prove a point!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

What planet are some people on? Ian Lenegan is a proven successful businessman, why would he just bring two players back to prove a point? It's absolute nonsense. I'm glad that the perpetrators of this cr@p never got near any business that I was involved in.