Cas v Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: Cas v Wigan

Post by fozzieskem »

Powell is for my money the best British coach at the moment,yes he's missable no doubt about that but who cares at the end of the day unless you're having him round for a party.

Fine coach.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Why would any fan want a coach back who left us the first chance he got, Madges rugby was pure boredom, please don't bring him back Mr Lenagan, you've done enough damage bringing former players back, NEW blood is needed with NEW ideas :exc:
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Wandering Warrior wrote:We've got rid of two better centres than the two senior centres we've got now. Purely my opinion of course.
Gelling is far too inconsistent, an enigma in attack and a disaster in defence on any given occasion, but hey, he's a work in progress project?
Sarginson has been fits and starts while he's been with us and I do hope he's not offered an open door back should it go belly up in Oz.
We made him an offer to stay so perhaps the door is still open!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote: Tierney is a good back up player for the Full Back and Wing positions, so I think it is unfair to include him when he is not a regular member of the team.

And how does anyone know that Maguire would still have been as successful if he had stayed.

If his tenure at South Sidney is anything to go by, the answer could be no success.

Like Wigan, first season successful, but since, they have done nothing with speculation that his job could be under threat.
We don't know whether Madge would have continued to be successful, although he did replicate his success over here by winning the toughest comp in the game. He also grabbed two sleeping giants with the scruf of the neck and propelled them to champion teams. How do you know that he wouldn't have continued to be a great success at Wigan? Is what your seeing at Wigan acceptable? If we end up empty handed for a third season in a row should we just accept it and carry on as normal? What changes do you propose? Do you find us entertaining? What do you think needs to happen to reverse the trend of reducing crowds? By the way, what did you think of our performance on Friday?
'Replicated his success over here over here by winning the toughest comp in the game' sounds like you are not in merry old England.

'Only propelled both clubs by the scruff of the neck in his first season'. Was he showing the same success in the second season at Wigan and also since the first season at South Sydney. In both cases No!

In his first season at Wigan, he had a first team squad which included the likes of Gleeson, Carmont, Richards, Tomkins, Leiluai, Fielden, Riddell, Hoffman, O'Loughlin, Mclloroum, Deakin etc, so hardly surprising he was successful with players like them. What is now wrong is that we have to much emphisis on Academy and not enough class players from elsewhere here and down under.

Instead of being so quick as usual in having a swipe at me, I have said elsewhere that the present level is not acceptable and that perhaps the time has come for a change of Coach. As for the performance on Friday, I cannot pass comment until I have seen a recording of the game as I did not go to Castleford due to another interest of mine.

Oh, and Powell is not the answer as some seem to think. If there is one thing we don't need, it is a Winging Yorkie!
Who is the answer then? I'm not taking a swipe at you I am asking for you to come up with a solution to the poor rugby we play and poor results that have occurred over the past three non-fruitful seasons. Which players would you get rid of and who would you sign?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Never say never! Lowe / Monie were both they will never come here at their point in their coaching careers. Bellamy has been at Melbourne for a LONG time, too long despite a great 2016 season Who knows he mat think done it in the NRL why not try a different challenge before I am too old (IIRC he is 56).
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Wandering Warrior wrote:We've got rid of two better centres than the two senior centres we've got now. Purely my opinion of course.
Gelling is far too inconsistent, an enigma in attack and a disaster in defence on any given occasion, but hey, he's a work in progress project?
Sarginson has been fits and starts while he's been with us and I do hope he's not offered an open door back should it go belly up in Oz.
We made him an offer to stay so perhaps the door is still open!
Well now he has gone he must be the first to not be given an "open ended" chance for a return should things not work out.

Simply not good enough to be offered that opportunity and maybe, just maybe, might make other players think twice before walking away from the club with the grass is greener attitude
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Brad Fittler :thum:
JUKESAYS

Post by JUKESAYS »

A bit cryptic I know but cheers Josie! :thum:
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote: We don't know whether Madge would have continued to be successful, although he did replicate his success over here by winning the toughest comp in the game. He also grabbed two sleeping giants with the scruf of the neck and propelled them to champion teams. How do you know that he wouldn't have continued to be a great success at Wigan? Is what your seeing at Wigan acceptable? If we end up empty handed for a third season in a row should we just accept it and carry on as normal? What changes do you propose? Do you find us entertaining? What do you think needs to happen to reverse the trend of reducing crowds? By the way, what did you think of our performance on Friday?
'Replicated his success over here over here by winning the toughest comp in the game' sounds like you are not in merry old England.

'Only propelled both clubs by the scruff of the neck in his first season'. Was he showing the same success in the second season at Wigan and also since the first season at South Sydney. In both cases No!

In his first season at Wigan, he had a first team squad which included the likes of Gleeson, Carmont, Richards, Tomkins, Leiluai, Fielden, Riddell, Hoffman, O'Loughlin, Mclloroum, Deakin etc, so hardly surprising he was successful with players like them. What is now wrong is that we have to much emphisis on Academy and not enough class players from elsewhere here and down under.

Instead of being so quick as usual in having a swipe at me, I have said elsewhere that the present level is not acceptable and that perhaps the time has come for a change of Coach. As for the performance on Friday, I cannot pass comment until I have seen a recording of the game as I did not go to Castleford due to another interest of mine.

Oh, and Powell is not the answer as some seem to think. If there is one thing we don't need, it is a Winging Yorkie!
Who is the answer then? I'm not taking a swipe at you I am asking for you to come up with a solution to the poor rugby we play and poor results that have occurred over the past three non-fruitful seasons. Which players would you get rid of and who would you sign?
Its not a question about me saying which individual player should stay and who should go, but a question of looking at the players that Maguire had when he was Coach compared with the present standard of the squad in general.

In my opinion, there is now too much emphasis on young players from the Academy and not enough emphasis on signing better and more top class experienced players from other clubs in our game or from clubs down

We are going into games with as many as ten players on average signed from the Academy while at the same time, some of our experienced players are not as good as certain other clubs and also not the standard that supporters have been use too in past seasons as shown for example, the squad we had only five years or so ago when Maguire was Coach.

For the reasons stated, I have reached the conclusion that Wane has taken the present squad as far as he or indeed anyone is capable of taking it and perhaps the time has come for a change of Coach. Perhaps one from down under like we had in the great days of Lowe and Monie.

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Seems a bit of a coincidence but Joe Cobb has been dropped down 2 divisions this week????
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan