Wigan v Saints

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Wigan v Saints

Post by josie andrews »

old hooker wrote:Once again the forum has sunk to a low level by a poster insulting another several times, probably because they have had one too many and can hide behind a keyboard, disgraceful behaviour.
Who are you speaking about?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Bilko wrote:
keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote:I am bloody staggered at some of the moaning comments about how we played last night. We hammered a in form Stains that where boasting best winning run in SL. Beating the sh*te in itself is something that makes every Wigan fans season. So to bloody well moan how this was achieved takes the biscuit. :( :angry:
The result was all that mattered last night, given our form into the game. I hope the reaction though is more looking how we still need to improve on that performance rather than pipe and slippers. Saints won't play that poorly again and we gifted them far too many chances that we were fortunate not to be exposed for. It was pretty much an opposite replay of last month when it was us that looked clueless in attack.
They will with that threequarter line, which is all they will have for their Hull game!
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

FPN's tackle was outstanding!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

God wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:FPN's tackle was outstanding!!
Said in another post I cannot recollect any player stopping Roby from that distance out of dummy half.
My reaction was FFS, when Roby crashed towards the line, then up stepped Big Frank!! Am I right in thinking he is actually more renowned for his defence than attack?
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

I didn't expect I was going to say this today.....Well done to all the team and that includes SW. He got the tactics spot on...

You can win games and be ENTERTAINING.

cumbria_warrior

Post by cumbria_warrior »

Why did wane not interview at end of game last night?
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

superleague wrote:I can't be arsed getting into an argument over A GAME, imo I can't knock the effort and commitment, but going forward with ball in hand we are poor, predictable, I just find it very frustrating watching us as the team as much more potential than what it's showing.
Gelling's second try wasn't predictable SL, even Tomkins at the screen with Wells mentioned that he'd realised sintelins centre jumps the line, so he run a line to attract the player which led to a perfect flat pass from Batty to Gells that no sintelins player could predict.
It's tries like that which we need to produce more of, to be less predictable, I'm just not convinced it's Wane realising situations like this to do much more about it.
SJ

Post by SJ »

josie andrews wrote:
old hooker wrote:Once again the forum has sunk to a low level by a poster insulting another several times, probably because they have had one too many and can hide behind a keyboard, disgraceful behaviour.
Who are you speaking about?

I think O. H. Means CP's comments about Morley's post which were in my opinion well within the protocols of this forum. However CP's comments were very insulting, unpleasant and totally uncalled for. I can only think CP experienced a syphcotic episode from possibly too much alcohol or worse. It seems to me to be a complete aberration on his part. I respect him so I hope he is ok. Perhaps a sabbatical will be in his best interests. I am really concerned for his welfare.
The Yonner

Post by The Yonner »

I agree there doesn't need to be all this hysteria over what ought to be a reasonable debate over whether last night's performance is the cup half full or half empty.

Personally, I was encouraged by the effort and intensity on display. It appears that everybody is committed to the cause, and that by itself goes a long way.

However, if the brain farting centre is our only potent attacking weapon, that concerns me for our prospects in the play-offs and next year.

Williams was once again very poor on attack, and Gildart's performance suggests he doesn't have the scope for improvement that we hoped for this time last year.

Cup is half empty for me!
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Here are my thoughts...

1) the defence was fabulous. Individually and collectively, the technique, the determination and the fitness shown bode well for the future;

2) the discipline was superb, exactly what we needed. We ignored all of their usual tricks, particularly in the tackle and concentrated throughout. At last, the penny seems to have dropped that we are a better team than Saints;

3) the attack was plenty good enough. 3 of the tries would have been scored against any defence, and the disallowed Sarg try would have been given most weeks. Taking them in turn, both of Gelling's first half tries were well finished, but superbly executed. Adjusting our lines so that they were looking at Sam rather than what we did was great coaching. The last try owed more to thinking on our feet, but the combination of Sam, Tautai and George was fantastic.

It is worth bearing in mind that both our 2 rivals will be going toe to toe at Wembley. If Cas hold on for the win, then a top 2 finish looks probable. We will almost certainly just need to beat one of Wire and FC away and both will be suffering from post Wembley hang overs. Traditionally, the form of Wembley finalists dips for about 3 weeks, and the 2 finalists have to play each other, so a home semi looks likely to me.

At that point, with the defence and determination we have, we will be in with a very good shout of glory. There is life in the season yet...