Wane without a whole team!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
No straw damn us

Re: Wane without a whole team!!

Post by No straw damn us »

moto748 wrote:I'm sure Wigan players' boots are no different to any other league player. But we've heard the same arguments in football; that the now commonplace meta-tarsal injuries didn't seem to happen 'back in the day' when boots were of much sturdier construction. Is the increased risk of injury the price we pay for a more skillful, faster game? maybe.
There were certainly players slipping on Friday, that's how Gelling injured himself and Burgess slipped in the second half.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

No straw damn us wrote:
moto748 wrote:I'm sure Wigan players' boots are no different to any other league player. But we've heard the same arguments in football; that the now commonplace meta-tarsal injuries didn't seem to happen 'back in the day' when boots were of much sturdier construction. Is the increased risk of injury the price we pay for a more skillful, faster game? maybe.
There were certainly players slipping on Friday, that's how Gelling injured himself and Burgess slipped in the second half.
So it's the choice of footwear and not the training now?
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
moto748

Post by moto748 »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote: So it's the choice of footwear and not the training now?
Well, if it is, it's not a Wigan-specific matter.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

moto748 wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote: So it's the choice of footwear and not the training now?
Well, if it is, it's not a Wigan-specific matter.
Exactly!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I don't know. I am suggesting that the club needs to be truly scientific in its approach to a problem affecting us over a long period of time. I would look into everything I mentioned above - and get independent experts not the insiders looking into so far:
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

double post - I see that John Winder is hosting a fitness seminar on Monday - maybe someone should ask him about preventing injuries...
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:Bad luck, pure and simple, just look at the injuries that the players have picked up, how many are directly linked to training or trauma during a game situation?
Over training can lead to damage to joints muscle etc. Not broken legs or jaw etc. How many are out with lower leg issues. Ligament, cartilage etc. Resting is very important.

Lucky might have something to do with some but injuries we have had since 2013 that is bigger than that.
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:I am sure that Dr Chris Brookes will be carrying out his own review, I would place my trust in him.
Dr Brookes has been carrying out a review in conjunction with the RFL to assess injuries across the whole of the RL.
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Feeling depressed when your team have just had a 50 point shallacking, and over half the squad are out injured?

Cheer yourself up by reading this thread!

Despite valiant efforts by 3 or 4 posters to bring a few facts into play, the widely accepted view seems to be:
"I'm not an expert/don't know anything about injuries ... BUT there MUST BE SOMETHING causing this glut of injuries. Over-training, attritional forwards, Easter, backs too involved, style of boots" ... take your pick.

Any more offers? C'mon Meds, we need you: Alien body-snatchers? Fumes from the Duggie causing muscle wastage? Sabotage of food by a chef on McManus's payroll?

I'm not an expert but it MUST BE one of these...
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

morley pie eater wrote:Feeling depressed when your team have just had a 50 point shallacking, and over half the squad are out injured?

Cheer yourself up by reading this thread!

Despite valiant efforts by 3 or 4 posters to bring a few facts into play, the widely accepted view seems to be:
"I'm not an expert/don't know anything about injuries ... BUT there MUST BE SOMETHING causing this glut of injuries. Over-training, attritional forwards, Easter, backs too involved, style of boots" ... take your pick.

Any more offers? C'mon Meds, we need you: Alien body-snatchers? Fumes from the Duggie causing muscle wastage? Sabotage of food by a chef on McManus's payroll?

I'm not an expert but it MUST BE one of these...
Voodoo