19-Man Squad: Vs Salford

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
The booze hound

Re: 19-Man Squad: Vs Salford

Post by The booze hound »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:There is no evidence they know what they are doing.
I guess that the qualifications they hold could be classed as evidence that they do know what they are doing.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Where is the evidence to suggest they don’t know what they are doing apart from an anonymous poster on a fans website?[/quote]

It really is simple. We pick up injuries at a horrendous rate and have extremely long recovery times. Over a long period. We went into our FIRST game FIVE players down, 2 players were taken off with injuries during the game, and 1 has a heavily strapped. The results are all the evidence anyone could need.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Exiled, from our previous conversation, I can see that you are a fair-minded person and genuinely believe what you are saying. Your idea that Wigan medical staff must be doing something wrong since we have had more injuries IS actually valid, but only sometimes. Let me try to explain.

If 12 people rolled an unbiased dice 120 times each, then probability theory says the EXPECTATION is that they will avarage 20 rolls of a 6 for each person. However, one of them may only get, say, 3 sixes, and another may get 15. Also, the average may not be 20, that's just the expected average.

Now, if you repeat this experiment 1000 times, it gets more and more certain that the average number of sixes will APPROACH 20. So the expectation is correct IN THE LONG RUN.

If you substitute the 12 Super League teams for these dice-rollers, and injuries for scoring a six, the principle still holds. In other words, you're right to say that, all things being equal, Wigan should suffer an average number of injuries.

But...this is in the long run. There are always likely to be fluctuations along the way. 3,4 or 5 seasons is not enough to apply this principle of expectation.

Now in athletics, it has been noted over a long period that the more finely-tuned an athlete becomes, the more susceptible they can be to certain types of injury. And maybe it could be argued that Wigan's training regime is over-tuning players to some extent. I'm not sure there'd be enough evidence to prove this, but it becomes more likely for each year we have a worse than average injury record.

As things stand, I'd say that TBW's theory (that it's just luck) is the most likely answer.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

JUKESAYS wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Exiled Wiganer wrote:There is no evidence they know what they are doing.
By the only relevant measures they are woefully inadequate in terms of building resilience and bringing people back to fitness. It really bugs me because it can be fixed and makes or breaks our seasons.
Plus, we pay a lot of money to watch the first team play first team games.
Where is the evidence to suggest they don’t know what they are doing apart from an anonymous poster on a fans website?

Correct
Does anyone care to note that wigan did actually change several of their backroom medical/physio/conditioning staff early and mid way through last year?
I did mention the staff changes late into the season last year. When fans start questioning the likes of Dr Chris Brookes and Mark Bitcom then I worry. They are two of the most respected men in their positions anywhere.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

JUKESAYS wrote:Does anyone care to note that wigan did actually change several of their backroom medical/physio/conditioning staff early and mid way through last year?
Whatever your viewpoint on our injuries. THIS says everything you want/need to know.

I mean, why sack or replace anyone if they were doing an "excellent" job in the first place???
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

wall_of_voodoo wrote:
JUKESAYS wrote:Does anyone care to note that wigan did actually change several of their backroom medical/physio/conditioning staff early and mid way through last year?
Whatever your viewpoint on our injuries. THIS says everything you want/need to know.

I mean, why sack or replace anyone if they were doing an "excellent" job in the first place???
Unless they move to other jobs off their own backs of course, but I do take your point.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
No straw damn us wrote:
JUKESAYS wrote: Exactly. I wonder why Chris Brookes was appointed as the England doctor?

Correct
Does anyone care to note that wigan did actually change several of their backroom medical/physio/conditioning staff early and mid way through last year?
I did mention the staff changes late into the season last year. When fans start questioning the likes of Dr Chris Brookes and Mark Bitcom then I worry. They are two of the most respected men in their positions anywhere.
Exactly. I wonder why Chris Brookes was appointed as the England doctor?

Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

No straw damn us wrote: I did mention the staff changes late into the season last year. When fans start questioning the likes of Dr Chris Brookes and Mark Bitcom then I worry. They are two of the most respected men in their positions anywhere.
Exactly. I wonder why Chris Brookes was appointed as the England doctor?
Because he was cheap??
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Where is the evidence to suggest they don’t know what they are doing apart from an anonymous poster on a fans website?

Exiled Wiganer wrote: It really is simple. We pick up injuries at a horrendous rate and have extremely long recovery times. Over a long period. We went into our FIRST game FIVE players down, 2 players were taken off with injuries during the game, and 1 has a heavily strapped. The results are all the evidence anyone could need.
We have had a lot of injuries recently but again the majority have been during games and trauma injuries and unless our medical team made the tackle I cannot see how they are to blame for that one!

I didn't realise that our medical team was responsible for Bateman's finger injury, was it during a 'thumb war' during pre season?

I don't think that our medical team are responsible for Lockers age, again his injuries are down to a long, overworked career!

Budgie got a bang on the hip during a pre season game, did anybody see Dr Chris Brookes run on the pitch and smash him?

Manfredi, serious knee injury from a terrible tackle, maybe his return was too quick and the medical team could be questioned about that or maybe the initial injury is that bad he might never recover or he was just very unlucky again?

Wells again broken bone in the foot, Bitcon must have dropped a dumbbell on it!

2 players were taken off injured DURING THE GAME, that's RL my friend!!

1 player was heavily strapped, I suggest you watch more RL games, you will see it doesn't just apply to our players!!

The evidence you give is flawed, sorry!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
endoman

Post by endoman »

Spoke today with a strength and conditioning coach for a pro RL side. Also a university lecturer on the subject. Only way to prevent injury is never to play or train. Wigan staff v well qualified and doing things the correct way. Stuff happens.....