Re: Wollongong Game.

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:I thought Joel was far better than we have seen for a long time.
On Sarg, having seen him from a teenager, what you get is fitness, drive, elusiveness and decent defence. His handling lets him down, but overall he will contribute. He will work harder than anyone for the cause and I think will have far better games. But his best position, as we learnt in 2016, is full back. He offers much more there. Did we even take Higginson? If so, give him a run there next week. Get a centre playing centre.
Having re-watched the game, we were actually even better and slicker than I thought first time round. Some of the “butchered” tries could well have been cut off by Hull (who are a very good side). Some room for improvement of course, but masses to like.
no
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Top 3 positives for me were

1) Marshall - the boy has lightning in his heels and the fact he played was a good call from wane

2) flower - looked back towards what we’d know he can play like a really good sign

3) the attack on the whole looks a lot better this year

Top 3 concerns

1) sarge - he must be keeping a better player out the team I can’t believe he is anything like the best we have surely

2) Powell - i still feel he isnt needed unless there are injuries he just doesn’t offer enough of anything

3) plan a - we started off last years I’ll fated season in much the same style iirc however I still have a concern we only have a plan a. Hull were completely busted yet we stalled against them once they worked out a few of our plays. We never adjusted to their plight and we still don’t seem to be playing what should infront of us enough

Overall though it’s been a good start to the season we look fit and lively
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
Wintergreen wrote:Positive overall.

Joel wasn't as bad as he normally is. He's still should be nowhere near the team though.

Sarge is average, but hey, we knew that. At best he should be a utility bench player.

Sam looked sharper than I have seen him for a while. Whilst he probably will never be the player he was (his speed has gone), if he is 75% of that player he will be a very good asset.

George looked unplayable at times, but then went missing. A talent yes, but needs to find consistency.

Flower looked good as did Clubb

Gildart had an unusually rubbish day. He is class though.

Overall a positive.

He was the best player on the pitch by a country mile, how consistent do you want him to be? He as been outstanding in the first two games, maybe we are watching different games!
Hey don't get me wrong I rate George very highly.

I do think he often drifts in and out of matches though. If he could fix this, he would move to the next level imo.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Just pleased we got the two points. The only real downside was the way we let Hull get back level when we should have killed the game off. I'm guessing the humidity was so intense that we had to pace ourselves. Only one team in it for most of the second half.
No one had a really bad game - some problems with discipline and penalties from the usual suspects (Isa, mostly, I'm afraid) and Hull were better at understanding how the match was being refereed but Clubb & Flower were particularly impressive.
Let's hope we get away with no injuries from next Saturday's irrelevant match.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

A good win at 24-10.
It was overall a good performance with some who could improve.
Waney said that, thankfully, we came out of it without any injuries unlike Hull.
Watching the tv it is hard to understand the degree of humidity when there is a grassy bank and the ocean behind. The only telling sign that I noticed was how both defences found it difficult moving up.

It surprised me that Marshall was selected over Burgess but a good decision. A bit of luck and he could have had a couple more.
Some really attractive rugby being played now with the lead being taken by the forwards making the hard yards.

Let's hope it can continue throughout the season.
If so then we are going to be watching a very good team.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

Southern Softy wrote: and Hull were better at understanding how the match was being refereed
That's exactly right.

Hull were releasing the ball late in the tackle count as soon as we put a hand near it. People always say clamp the ball so they can't release it, but as soon as its dropped the commentators say yes he clearly touched the ball, penalty.

The ref needs to start saying, pick it up and play it. I thought Hicks was a penalty machine but he was worse yesterday, resulting in a stop start game.

old hooker

Post by old hooker »

I am a Gildart fan but he bombed 2 trys for Marshy in the first half.Sarge was Sarge plenty effort but little accomplished.I thought the forwards were good but for me Sam ran the show and was my mom.
jao711

Post by jao711 »

Fan4Fifty wrote:I think the criticisms of Gildart and JT are over the top. Gildart did what he's supposed to do for the 2 tries that set up the win - give his winger the ball in space for one and backed up on the inside to engage defenders for the other. Yes, he should probably have given Marshall the ball on at least one other occasion but centres won't always get those right. He will only get better.
As for JT he put in a full shift to help handle a big Hull pack, made some strong tackles, created space for Sarginson that a better centre would have exploited and made a great effort fairly late in the game to get back to help Sam after Kelly's clean break. Yes a pass to Farrell in attack was put down but where were his runners when he was clearly looking for an offload? Thought it was a solid performance all round from JT and the rest of the forwards. Flower and Clubb were both excellent.
. Agreed.
jao711

Post by jao711 »

Wintergreen wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
Wintergreen wrote:Positive overall.

Joel wasn't as bad as he normally is. He's still should be nowhere near the team though.

Sarge is average, but hey, we knew that. At best he should be a utility bench player.

Sam looked sharper than I have seen him for a while. Whilst he probably will never be the player he was (his speed has gone), if he is 75% of that player he will be a very good asset.

George looked unplayable at times, but then went missing. A talent yes, but needs to find consistency.

Flower looked good as did Clubb

Gildart had an unusually rubbish day. He is class though.

Overall a positive.

He was the best player on the pitch by a country mile, how consistent do you want him to be? He as been outstanding in the first two games, maybe we are watching different games!
Hey don't get me wrong I rate George very highly.

I do think he often drifts in and out of matches though. If he could fix this, he would move to the next level imo.
. I clearly remember how the wonderful Brett Kenny would,when we weren’t getting anywhere,stand back and watch for a while.When he saw what the opposition were doing he invariably came up with a play that would create a gap.We never accused him of drifting in and out of the game.
jao711

Post by jao711 »

Barney841 wrote:I’m still not convinced with rotation of halves and full back. Sam looks a better organiser and kicker Powell, he doesn’t take the line on enough anymore as he has lost a step of pace. Escare would be better as full back and joining the line.
Leuluai should be doing 80mins, think rotating the hooker isn’t the best idea.
Joel did ok but can’t see what he’s got that Hamlin hasn’t. Sarginson gives you the work, never had the best rugby brain and is an ok player. Still believe there’s batter centre that sarginson out there
. Looking forward to seeing Hamlin, but until then we don’t know what he’s got.