Wigan v Wire game thread

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
old hooker

Re: Wigan v Wire game thread

Post by old hooker »

southportcdm wrote:Woods is only 20 and in his first season with the first team. The chances are that he'll struggle physically and mentally if he plays too many games back to back. Being a regular is different than playing a few games/part games here and there. George is a far better player at this point and will go straight back into the starting team when he's fit.
If you are good enough you are old enough, I could name so many players who held a regular place down at 20 years old its too many to mention.There have been many playing international RL at that age and younger.As for Williams being a far better player I just cant see it at all.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

fozzieskem wrote:
medlocke wrote:
southportcdm wrote:Woods is only 20 and in his first season with the first team. The chances are that he'll struggle physically and mentally if he plays too many games back to back. Being a regular is different than playing a few games/part games here and there. George is a far better player at this point and will go straight back into the starting team when he's fit.
Your right, look at the harm it did to Edwards and Faz, As for George your joking right?
Woods had a great game and hasn't let anyone down at all, me I'd keep him playing for as long as possible even when Williams returns he deserved his shot give him a run, even to the end of the season whenever that may be, and choose between Powell and Williams to partner him.
I don't see how Woods had a great game. Yes he kicked the winning drop goal, but his passing was so slow and predictable, and was very fortunate Lineham didn't get that interception. He also got caught out for the first Wire try. He does have a decent kicking game but the rest of his game isn't ready for regular fist team rugby particularly his running game. If I were Wigan I would look to build him up physically and eventually play him as a ball playing #13.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I suppose we'll all know a lot more about Josh's potential/ability after the next few games. If he continues to progress I'm sure we'll all be really pleased but for every player that 'cements their place' at 20 years of age there are far more who don't and it's easy to forget them. For now it's great to another good youngster moving through the ranks but let's not expect too much from him.
BriH

Post by BriH »

Chris Hill and the Hammer.

Did I see it right?

Gabe on the deck; Hill elbowing him in the face; trying to stand on his face and ended up 'raking' his face just underneath his eye?
I've never been a fan of Benny Westwood but compared to Hill, he is saintly.
Chris Hill knew exactly what he was doing. When he stood up to play the ball, he was standing over Gabe triumphant. Nasty piece of work.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

BriH wrote:Chris Hill and the Hammer.

Did I see it right?

Gabe on the deck; Hill elbowing him in the face; trying to stand on his face and ended up 'raking' his face just underneath his eye?
I've never been a fan of Benny Westwood but compared to Hill, he is saintly.
Chris Hill knew exactly what he was doing. When he stood up to play the ball, he was standing over Gabe triumphant. Nasty piece of work.
so you obviously missed the build up to wigans drop goal?.....hill did exactly the same to gildart....it looked painful but oli just got up and played the ball quick, for obvious reasons
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
moto748

Post by moto748 »

A couple of thoughts just watching the game back:

Hamlin was good, but Paisley was even better than I thought at the time. A fine all-round effort.

The usual one that the ref seemed to have a much better game than you thought he did. :roll: I still think he was soft on Wire's persistent 10m incursions, but he got most of the big decisions right, and if anything we probably got the right side of a few calls.

I also thought Hamlin showed a bit of the Aussie grit that we don't always see in SL with the way he didn't react to the treatment he got.

Sam Tomkins kept his temper and played very well.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Have to agree about Kendall he did have a good game,as most of them do when you watch it back,but yes again young Paisley looks the part too.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

moto748 wrote:
He nearly lost us the game
moto748

Post by moto748 »

fozzieskem wrote:Have to agree about Kendall he did have a good game,as most of them do when you watch it back, but yes again young Paisley looks the part too.
Another nice moment for Paisley was the incident where we got the pen for a dangerous tackle, and there was a bit of handbags. Paisley was the recipient of that tackle, but he hung onto the ball, and eventually got up and stood there quietly, ball in hand, looking nice and calm and cool.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

medlocke wrote:
moto748 wrote:
He nearly lost us the game
Oh, behave! Where? I'm no Tomkins fan-boy, but he was solid in defence and good in attack.