Wigan sign Ian Thornley 30 years old from Leigh

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Dan2266

Re: Wigan sign Ian Thornley 30 years old from Leigh

Post by Dan2266 »

Thornley > Hankinson but neither are Ideal, but we cant write him off before he plays.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 9:47 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:42 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:35 pm I can swallow the idea of either Thornley or Gelling (prefer Gelling personally) to replace Hankinson.

If anyone at the club thinks that because they are previous players, the right side of 6ft or are in the same league as Gildart......we are going to have problems!

Saints = Naiqama
Leeds = Hurrell
Salford = Watkins
Hull = Griffin (prick)

I could go on, are any of the above of less quality than or less inspiring than Thornley or Gelling? I don't think so!
Watkins looks to be slowly getting back to his best but I wouldn’t have any of that list tbh
I agree with you Fozzie. Hurrell is a turnstile, Naiqama is no great shakes and I doubt that Saints will retain him and Griffin in my opinion flatters to deceive. The one guy I would have is Sarge.
I agree with you over Sarge,not the beat but it’s an area (centres)the game is struggling for at present,quite what the sky love in with Hurrell is all about is beyond me,every time o ask myself “what are they seeing?”
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:19 am
Caboosegg wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:40 am Small difference but he's not 30 until September.

His wigan time for me wasn't successful due to his competition for places

2012 - Carmont and Goulding
2013 - Hughes and Goulding
2014 - Thornley and Goulding
2015 - Sarge and Gelling

Interestingly his games vs try ratio is better than Gildarts (I am aware that isn't a full picture)

I hope people dont give up there season tickets on the back of one signing, clubs are expecting a down turn in attendance due to stopping the habit during lockdown, people giving up support over a signing would then mean further cost cutting as the incomes goes down.

Inspiring signings can only happen if the income exists.
Hughes had never played centre in his life when he got the 4 shirt. If Thornley, who had played centre his whole life, couldn't displace Hughes then thats a problem.
I just went off the rl stats page, I'm not for or against this signing enough to argue.

I'm just sick of the constant negativity of any signing made before they have stepped on the pitch.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I’m just sick of the negativity about anything & everything if I’m honest!

Never, well hardly never, a good word to be said, it’s very depressing reading at times 😟
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

josie andrews wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:55 am I’m just sick of the negativity about anything & everything if I’m honest!

Never, well hardly never, a good word to be said, it’s very depressing reading at times 😟
You'll be happy if Thornley replaces Gildart?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:09 am
josie andrews wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:55 am I’m just sick of the negativity about anything & everything if I’m honest!

You'll be happy if Thornley replaces Gildart?
Would he not be seen as a squad player in view of the fact we have to run a reserve team next season?
eaststandspy

Post by eaststandspy »

Yes Josie there is a tremendous amount of negativity which I suspect is born out of fan frustration, I was shocked at the signing of Thornley and possibly Gelling, but I am not disappointed. They would be short term fixes on the cheap I presume, this would free up funds to get Williams and a prop which we will need otherwise it does not make any sense to let Bullock leave.
Thornley from what I have seen this season looks sharp, he scored a good try against us in round one and looked a handful, in the second game he chased down French and stopped that break. I thought he looked to have improved on his time at Catalan, let's give him a chance. Gelling is a real wild card but I think despite his shortcomings I would rather play with him than against him.
A couple of Aldi signings will enable us to concentrate on our real wish list. We are not Warrington we have to cut our cloth accordingly. Thornley & Gelling would be better than an absent Gildart or all and sundry playing out of position in the centre. Has as already been said they are centres after all. good luck to them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I really don’t understand the negativity surrounding Thornley as a squad player who can play in an area Wigan are short in?

Yes it’s not a world beater but these are strange times
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

eaststandspy wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 1:01 pm Yes Josie there is a tremendous amount of negativity which I suspect is born out of fan frustration,
Its the internet. Everyone on here has extreme views. The regular fan in the street isn't represented here.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:45 am
I'm just sick of the constant negativity of any signing made before they have stepped on the pitch.
That's the point though. They have stepped on the pitch for Wigan and proved not to be good enough.

I can virtually guarantee when these players were let go you, and those justifying this decision, supported those decisions as well :roll: