Optimism

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
moto748

Re: Optimism

Post by moto748 »

Even if other coaches 'work him out', it still should leave space for other players.
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

That’s the problem Catalan made plans for Field and we didn’t score because we have no one else in the back line with the same quality. Bevan may help now.? But just a bit concerned that our attack relies solely on Field. If Wakefield keep him quiet I think we maybe in for a long afternoon. One thing is for certain St Helen’s will target him and their defence this year has been difficult to score against. As I stated previously these next 2 games will be a good benchmark for us, as our best chance of winning something has to be in the challenge cup now that saints are paired with Catalans.
pedro

Post by pedro »

it has for years, French and Hastings dragged us to the grand final on their own
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Graham1 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:29 pm That’s the problem Catalan made plans for Field and we didn’t score because we have no one else in the back line with the same quality. Bevan may help now.? But just a bit concerned that our attack relies solely on Field. If Wakefield keep him quiet I think we maybe in for a long afternoon. One thing is for certain St Helen’s will target him and their defence this year has been difficult to score against. As I stated previously these next 2 games will be a good benchmark for us, as our best chance of winning something has to be in the challenge cup now that saints are paired with Catalans.
Unless we are able to create space outwide, French isn’t going to be able to offer much other than the odd break / half break from kick returns.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Graham1 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:29 pm That’s the problem Catalan made plans for Field and we didn’t score because we have no one else in the back line with the same quality. Bevan may help now.? But just a bit concerned that our attack relies solely on Field. If Wakefield keep him quiet I think we maybe in for a long afternoon. One thing is for certain St Helen’s will target him and their defence this year has been difficult to score against. As I stated previously these next 2 games will be a good benchmark for us, as our best chance of winning something has to be in the challenge cup now that saints are paired with Catalans.
It is a worry no doubt. I thought Catalans got lucky in a way because that weather was ideal for a game between them and us and they didn’t really need to do a number on Field as he a) had a nightmare and b) had no territory, go forward or Catalans errors to work from.

When we’ve done well though, he’s done well in the main and I think somebody summed it up nicely when they described us as looking like 2020 Wigan at times. Is the attack a whole heap better? I’d say it’s improved but the main difference is that like 2020, we have a real strike weapon out the back.

The game that gives me hope is Salford in the last round of the cup. They did a real number on marking Field out the game and we still managed to find enough points to win that game. They used up plenty of energy keeping him quiet as well, so that helps you in a different way.

We’ll see how we go but I can’t say I’m not a bit worried about Sunday or Good Friday.
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

We need to give French a roaming role to pop up anywhere / support on the field. Which hopefully might help Field, because if French has to wait for an overlap it could be a long wait and he will be wasted, as we don’t create space for our wingers. Our only strike weapons are Field and French and we need to get the ball in their hands as much as possible. And our forward pack needs to match theirs because that’s where they took Warrington on and won. I agree take Field away and we do attack like 2020. We might pass the ball more but sideways. Hopefully Mago may offload one or two to put Field through. Fingers crossed.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

pedro wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:18 pm it has for years, French and Hastings dragged us to the grand final on their own
Rubbish.

It was a team effort and we alot of players contributed. Bibby was our main try scorer, farrel How a good year. Singleton made a massive difference.

Then we went backwards in 2021 when hasting was dragging us around the park.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Flash

Post by Flash »

archiekeith wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:56 am
Flash wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:43 am
archiekeith wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:12 pm

You obviously need to be pragmatic and less emotional of course the players mentioned are in our team but "the team" didn't kick the goals it was the Aforementioned players did. It's a matter of fact who actually kicked the goals and Scored the tries Which you freely concede in your post I don't accept your comments re- nutcase idea but I Would accept the point of your post was unnecessarily critical of another posters opinion
So you're saying whoever kicks the goals and scores the tries in any given game shouldn't count in assessing a team performance? Of course only certain players score in each game. That is the nature of any team sport. In order for Smith to kick the winning drop the forwards had to match Hull's, Farrell had to make that run, Mago had to get the offload and the pass from dummy half had to be delivered crisply enough to create the time and space for him to make the kick. You can't just say "take Smith's kick out of that and we don't win".
Take any of the pieces out of that list and we don't win either.

A nutcase argument sums it up perfectly.

And just for balance, your post is equally critical of another's post. Mine. Or does it only work one way?
To your first point. No I'm not saying that at all. Frankly. I find your argument platitudinous and just for balance If there is a"nutcase argument it'yours. It leads to an infinite regress in some circles known as" Argument ad Adsurdum" My Post was factual not a criticism of you personally but criticism of your argument you are perfectly entitled to your opinions however nonsensical (platitudinously) they seem to me. End of discussion 🍷
On the first point that is exactly what you're saying. You saying it isn't doesn't change that.

On your second point all deconstructed arguments lead to the same point so yours does too. Your post was not factual, it was your opinion of my argument. Therefore it was opinion.

Lastly you have absolutely proven my point by using the same criticism of my argument that I originally used and that you called a personal attack. Somehow when I use it it is a personal attack but when you use it it is a criticism of my argument but not a personal attack. I suggest you look up the definition of hypocrisy.

As you have now ended the discussion I presume there will be no reply. Suits me just fine.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:19 pm
pedro wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:18 pm it has for years, French and Hastings dragged us to the grand final on their own
Rubbish.

It was a team effort and we alot of players contributed. Bibby was our main try scorer, farrel How a good year. Singleton made a massive difference.

Then we went backwards in 2021 when hasting was dragging us around the park.
:lol: :lol: ok went backwards in 2021 as we didnt have French, where was Bibby, Farrel and Singleton then? how many games did Singleton play in 2020 to make a massive difference? 6??