What will Danson do for us?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
southportcdm

Re: What will Danson do for us?

Post by southportcdm »

Not bothered if we're classed as tenants or not so long as the club has the access it requires, the stadium looks like the Warriors play there and that whatever deal we have is guaranteed long-term. Things look promising so far and there seems to be a far more positive attitude than recently. I couldn't believe when I read yesterday that Smith hadn't been allowed to practise his goalkicking at the DW. Oh, and another thing, when can/will we get rid of the DW moniker?
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

Totally agree about getting rid of the DW title for the Stadium and that DW statue can also be removed, or we get one of our own to put up alongside it.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

There will be a day very soon on which Danson owns everything. It is that day that I am really looking forward to.
He can then decide what to do with anything and everything.
We can draw whatever corporate/contractual pictures we like, but at that point he decides what happens. Our position is materially different from the one in which we were in before he bought everything.
Our owner will own everything and he gets to decide who plays when, and where. He decides what banners are flown, what stands are called, and who is signed.
If he decides that Latics should play in green, at Robin Park, that’s up for him.
The only thing that matters is that the owner of Wigan Warriors gets to decide anything and everything to do with Wigan Warriors. We no longer have to take account of (often hostile) third parties. We were here before when Whelan was in charge, but are in a far better position now because Danson does not prefer football to our game.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

southportcdm wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:15 pm Not bothered if we're classed as tenants or not so long as the club has the access it requires, the stadium looks like the Warriors play there and that whatever deal we have is guaranteed long-term. Things look promising so far and there seems to be a far more positive attitude than recently. I couldn't believe when I read yesterday that Smith hadn't been allowed to practise his goalkicking at the DW. Oh, and another thing, when can/will we get rid of the DW moniker?
I went and found the English Football League Rules and they say this:

13.3 Ground sharing will only be approved at the discretion of the Board. The Board will ordinarily
withhold approval in circumstances where the proposed ground share arrangement would
result in the Club sharing occupation of the playing surface with more than one other
individual team from another sport (by way of example, a Club sharing with one Rugby
League team will be acceptable, but a Club seeking to share with a Rugby Union team and a
Rugby League team, or two Rugby Union teams, will not).

13.4 Except in cases where a Club seeks consent to enter into a ground-sharing agreement with
another Club, it shall be a condition of any such consent that the ground-sharing agreement
shall contain provision to ensure that:
  • 13.4.1 the playing of any of the Club’s first team matches will always take precedence over
    the activities of the other party to the agreement;

13.4.2 the Club shall have the ability to postpone other activities scheduled to take place
    on the pitch in the immediately preceding 48 hour period where in the opinion of the
    Club, acting reasonably, there is a risk that such activity may result in the subsequent
    postponement or abandonment of a match to be played under the auspices of The
    League; and

13.4.3 where a sport other than football will be played on the pitch the playing surface
    shall be a hybrid (i.e. Desso or equivalent) construction, the specification of which
    shall be subject to the prior approval of the League. For the avoidance of doubt,
    the requirements of this Regulation 13.4.3 will apply to all existing ground share
    agreements with effect from 1 July 2019.
Guidance
Clubs must have primacy of fixture and show the ability to postpone any other activity on the
pitch on 48 hours’ notice.

So who actually own the ground is immaterial anyway with respect to the above. Unless Danson kicks Latics out we are still potentially subject to our fixtures being moved at the request of the football club. He may never ask us to switch a fixture but it remains a possibility and we will have to wait and see if it ever happens.
doc

Post by doc »

I'm sure one of the points on the IMG scoring was also for having primacy of fixtures at shared grounds.

Both teams can't have primacy of fixtures.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

The moving of fixtures due to football is hardly a problem in reality, I think it's only happened twice in twenty-two years.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Football doesn't need to own a ground but does need legal documentation re league fixtures taking precedence, league fixtures are fixed to a fashion where cup games have flexibility to a degree. I also imagine without looking at detail that requirements higher up the league is even tighter, again short term that's not an issue.
It doesn't matter who's on the lease or how it changes or if it even does, as long as things are legally set in stone as to where we play and when possible who plays, example the accedemy the other night would never have played previously so things have moved on and it's steps to making our place we play feel more like a home. The feeling in hospitality the other evening for me had also changed but maybe that's me feeling it as with what I have been told.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

lucky 13 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:02 pm Football doesn't need to own a ground but does need legal documentation re league fixtures taking precedence, league fixtures are fixed to a fashion where cup games have flexibility to a degree. I also imagine without looking at detail that requirements higher up the league is even tighter, again short term that's not an issue.
Yes the football club doesn't need to own the ground but does need a legally binding agreement that their fixtures take precedence and that they can postpone any other activity on the pitch on 48 hours’ notice.

I looked at the Premier League regulations and the same precedence rule applies but I couldn't see anything about being able to postpone any other activity on the pitch on 48 hours’ notice.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

doc wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:42 pm I'm sure one of the points on the IMG scoring was also for having primacy of fixtures at shared grounds.

Both teams can't have primacy of fixtures.
Correct. You get 0.25 points for primacy of tenure in the IMG criteria. The Stadium Criteria add up to 3 points and Wigan will lose out on primacy of tenure and utilisation.

We should get 1.5 for facilities, 0.125 for having LED advertising lights, 0.125 for having a big screen. So 1.75.

How much we get for utilisation is "average crowd / capacity of ground" and as crowd sizes for the calculation are actually based on actual attendees as opposed to season ticket holders + actual attendees it is going to be less than 0.5 (1 is the maximum obviously).

So we will lose points for not having primacy of tenure (0.25) and at least 0.5 for utilisation based on our average crowds.
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

There is a potential fixture clash with the Latics if we finish 3rd or 4th in the league.

Quarter final play offs are on September 29/30 and the Latics are at home on the 30th September to Portsmouth. I could be wrong and if not I'm sure it will be sorted out amicably.

EW
2002 and EW is hooked