Challenge Cup 2023

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Re: Challenge Cup 2023

Post by josie andrews »

Big Steve wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:57 am Well done to Leigh.

Deserved the win - played better for the majority of the game but credit to KR for sticking in there and dragging it back.

It has to be better for Wigan that we have strong local teams: increased crowds, more local rivalry all adds to the interest around the town and money through gate receipts for the club.

Pleased for some of the ex wigan players too and Lam who I think got dealt quite a rough hand with long term injuries to Bevan and Jai and playing through covid. Can't have been an easy time, and although we played some awfully dull rugby he's shown with Leigh that he can coach a very entertaining (and winning) team.

I also think that in a final there should be an opportunity to come back from a DG - 5 mins per half seems a good compromise then GP.
I agree. But GP needs dropping for all competitions It’s not like we play a sport that isn’t as physical as many others think we must be the only sport that put their players through this stupid ruling!

If we have to play extra time it shouldn’t be decided on a GP.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:46 am
Big Steve wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:57 am Well done to Leigh.

Deserved the win - played better for the majority of the game but credit to KR for sticking in there and dragging it back.

It has to be better for Wigan that we have strong local teams: increased crowds, more local rivalry all adds to the interest around the town and money through gate receipts for the club.

Pleased for some of the ex wigan players too and Lam who I think got dealt quite a rough hand with long term injuries to Bevan and Jai and playing through covid. Can't have been an easy time, and although we played some awfully dull rugby he's shown with Leigh that he can coach a very entertaining (and winning) team.

I also think that in a final there should be an opportunity to come back from a DG - 5 mins per half seems a good compromise then GP.
I agree. But GP needs dropping for all competitions It’s not like we play a sport that isn’t as physical as many others think we must be the only sport that put their players through this stupid ruling!

If we have to play extra time it shouldn’t be decided on a GP.
I agree josie.Just have a replay at a nearer ground the wednesday following the final
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:29 am Well done Leigh, glad they won, great for Rugby League and especially the North West.

Hope they can continue to build and become a force in Super League.

The better the clubs get and more money pumped into super league the better.
Nice response re CC,Nathan. Can't really understand the childish vitriol of some of our posters. The game was pulsating,full-blooded contest. RL played with the determination and intensity of both teams if emulated by other teams in the weekly comp. would surely attract more interest in our particular game. It was a wonderful advert for our sport. I have nothing but unashamed praise for a really enjoyable contest
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:12 pm Quick Google of DBs net worth says 2million. I don't see that being enough to sustain a club like Leigh long term if they're going to be making a loss year upon year
I didn't realise he was comparatively such a pauper compared to those running Wigan, Warrington and Saints.

He's managed to put together a squad with some good players such as Charnley and a few others who were cast offs from other clubs and who are still better players than their former clubs thought . He also picked up Hardaker who Leeds let go who was fortunate Leigh needed him as no other clubs seemed interested after his past antics. However given Leigh have no academy and don't run a reserve team they are going to rely on bringing in players and running a relatively small squad. Whether they can pick up another set of Charnley's and Hardakers going forward as these players retire remains to be seen because while he has secured the services of Lam Jr and a few other players you aren't as a rule going to find good players just let go from other clubs or enough "bad boys" like Hardaker looking for a home.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

DaveO wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:52 am
Blackpool_Pie wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:12 pm Quick Google of DBs net worth says 2million. I don't see that being enough to sustain a club like Leigh long term if they're going to be making a loss year upon year
I didn't realise he was comparatively such a pauper compared to those running Wigan, Warrington and Saints.

He's managed to put together a squad with some good players such as Charnley and a few others who were cast offs from other clubs and who are still better players than their former clubs thought . He also picked up Hardaker who Leeds let go who was fortunate Leigh needed him as no other clubs seemed interested after his past antics. However given Leigh have no academy and don't run a reserve team they are going to rely on bringing in players and running a relatively small squad. Whether they can pick up another set of Charnley's and Hardakers going forward as these players retire remains to be seen because while he has secured the services of Lam Jr and a few other players you aren't as a rule going to find good players just let go from other clubs or enough "bad boys" like Hardaker looking for a home.
Also, they have been fortunate with injuries this season.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:20 am
DaveO wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:52 am

Also, they have been fortunate with injuries this season.
Their depth is really a massive issue for them. If they had the bulk of their starting forwards out like we did at one stage they would really struggle