French

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

Re: French

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I think that the RFL’s disciplinary rules: describing what constitute offences, and the associated tariffs - are agreed by the clubs, and so they can’t be challenged by the clubs.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:24 pm I think that the RFL’s disciplinary rules: describing what constitute offences, and the associated tariffs - are agreed by the clubs, and so they can’t be challenged by the clubs.
Never in a million years
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:35 pm
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:24 pm I think that the RFL’s disciplinary rules: describing what constitute offences, and the associated tariffs - are agreed by the clubs, and so they can’t be challenged by the clubs.
Never in a million years
I does seem very unlikely.If we get a good lead in the semi i will be hoping we ease off to avoid any bans
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Firestarter wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:09 am
Never in a million years
I does seem very unlikely.If we get a good lead in the semi i will be hoping we ease off to avoid any bans
What type of bans would we avoid by easing off?

I don’t believe our tactics or players do things intentionally to get banned and have the full belief they are operating within the rules. Accidents happen and sometimes tempers flare but I don’t see how easing off anything changes the chance of a ban.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:27 am
Firestarter wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:09 am

Never in a million years
What type of bans would we avoid by easing off?

I don’t believe our tactics or players do things intentionally to get banned and have the full belief they are operating within the rules. Accidents happen and sometimes tempers flare but I don’t see how easing off anything changes the chance of a ban.
Im meaning in general.Obviously its getting petty and if the games won wouldnt it be natural for a player to not jeopardise his place in the final? Its was to petty atm snd needs sorting asap
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I doubt they'll be many bans from the semis for winning teams unless something major happens. The referees ref to a different standard in the playoffs with far fewer penalties (especially in the final which is mostly penalty free) and I'd expect the committee to follow the same unwritten rules.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Mike wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:06 pm I doubt they'll be many bans from the semis for winning teams unless something major happens. The referees ref to a different standard in the playoffs with far fewer penalties (especially in the final which is mostly penalty free) and I'd expect the committee to follow the same unwritten rules.
Hopefully common sense prevails mike
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Firestarter wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:45 pm
Mike wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:06 pm I doubt they'll be many bans from the semis for winning teams unless something major happens. The referees ref to a different standard in the playoffs with far fewer penalties (especially in the final which is mostly penalty free) and I'd expect the committee to follow the same unwritten rules.
Hopefully common sense prevails mike
You’d hope for common sense but who knows
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

I'm not being argumentative for the sake of it here, but, for the sake of balance, would like to pose a different viewpoint;

As "fans" we are committed to supporting our team against all comers. Another way of saying this is that we are biased! Think about it.

Comparisons have been made between how French and Makinson have been treated. Would you expect to convince a Saints fan of your case? Of course you wouldn't - because they are biased too!!!

The RFL and its judiciary are not biased in the same way. Decisions involve people from different club backgrounds, referees, and legal experts. Does this mean they're always "right"? Of course not. But chances are they'll be right more than the fans.

What's the alternative for us to letting off steam? I'd say it's accepting ref's calls and the decisions of the judiciary. Without them our sport couldn't function. It's possible, with a bit of practice, to disagree with a ref but accept the call and get on with life.

I loved John Monie's responses when questioned about refs. I tried to learn from him, and find I can enjoy a game, celebrate a victory and accept a defeat.

As Kipling said before he started making cakes:
"If you can meet with triumph and disaster.
And treat these two imposters just the same..."

Or,as I learned on the terraces at CP when I questioned a decision,"Look in tomorrow's papers!"
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

morley pie eater wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:05 am I'm not being argumentative for the sake of it here, but, for the sake of balance, would like to pose a different viewpoint;

As "fans" we are committed to supporting our team against all comers. Another way of saying this is that we are biased! Think about it.

Comparisons have been made between how French and Makinson have been treated. Would you expect to convince a Saints fan of your case? Of course you wouldn't - because they are biased too!!!

The RFL and its judiciary are not biased in the same way. Decisions involve people from different club backgrounds, referees, and legal experts. Does this mean they're always "right"? Of course not. But chances are they'll be right more than the fans.

What's the alternative for us to letting off steam? I'd say it's accepting ref's calls and the decisions of the judiciary. Without them our sport couldn't function. It's possible, with a bit of practice, to disagree with a ref but accept the call and get on with life.

I loved John Monie's responses when questioned about refs. I tried to learn from him, and find I can enjoy a game, celebrate a victory and accept a defeat.

As Kipling said before he started making cakes:
"If you can meet with triumph and disaster.
And treat these two imposters just the same..."

Or,as I learned on the terraces at CP when I questioned a decision,"Look in tomorrow's papers!"
The ref point is valid whenever I rematch on TV I notice the gey more correct than wrong.

But remove my wigan bias and the disciplinary us still unfit for purpose the amount of successful appeals and downgrading to fines(because the can't admit they are wrong) points to it. There is also clear Bias. It isn't anti saints bias to say to say makinson getting five games for a squirrel grip and another player getting 8 is showing favouritism. Makinsons imagine of being a "nice" player shouldn't come into effected.

While I can accept that there is different levels of severity the fact 1 player makes one accidently high shot and gets a ban yet another can make 3 in the same game and get a caution is moronic.

Imagine getting a warning at work for doing something once but the another person does the same thing 3 times and gets a slap on the wrist.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.