kevin brown!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
GeoffN

Re: kevin brown!

Post by GeoffN »

Wigan Watcher posted:

Here we go I feel another discussion coming on.

Are you saying Edwards was world class?
Yep.
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

stevocod posted:
pedro posted:
Brown has scored more than Orr due to him playing centre most of the time which is astrike position. Showed loads of potential but hasnt trained on any from 3 years ago.
Brown was never a centre and was only played there due to injuries and lack of ability Vaeliki etc. But any good player puts himself attacking wise in the right place at the right time, be it a striker in football or for example Edwards in RL running of the shoulder of the ball carrier as all support runners do, he was a 7 not a 6, but adapted to change as all world class players do. Im not saying Brown is world class but he has potential and was perhaps rushed into the fray.
Rushed into the fray? He has been in and around the first team for 4 seasons now. Hos is that being rushed?
dutchy

Post by dutchy »

I've said it before and i'll say it again, you need 13 good players on a pitch not just 1 or 2 like on a football pitch, so we can't be blaming individual players they are all supposed to play as a team.
stevocod

Post by stevocod »

ChrisA posted:
stevocod posted:
pedro posted:
Brown has scored more than Orr due to him playing centre most of the time which is astrike position. Showed loads of potential but hasnt trained on any from 3 years ago.
Brown was never a centre and was only played there due to injuries and lack of ability Vaeliki etc. But any good player puts himself attacking wise in the right place at the right time, be it a striker in football or for example Edwards in RL running of the shoulder of the ball carrier as all support runners do, he was a 7 not a 6, but adapted to change as all world class players do. Im not saying Brown is world class but he has potential and was perhaps rushed into the fray.
Rushed into the fray? He has been in and around the first team for 4 seasons now. How is that being rushed?
Originally he was rushed in by Betts for the derby against saints with a very bad injury list then we played him at centre, full back and wing and barely at stand off and then Millward comes out with ridiculous words to say he will be challenging Mcguire for a GB space when he obviously needed to challenge Orr for a Wigan place at stand off and despite Orr has had one or two good games going forward like the quins game, it has always been Orr in Brown's preferred position and how can we rate him as a stand off when he has been playing elsewhere in the back line for the past four years?

Also with the changing in coaching staff the youngsters haven't had an experienced head to advise the coach if they are ready or not and Brown should have worked on bulking up a bit more if he was going to be a utility back.

It's not just the player it's the handling of them and while yes it's a team game each individual has to pull their weight and not instilling that confidence and belief in the player and building his physique was to the detriment of KB.

The original post by Pedro of which i was referring to was that he played more in a strike position but if he played at stand off i think you should have the ability to strike from there as well and basing a player out of position is no way to lambast a youngster who has barely played his preferred position at 6.

Stev0

Post by Stev0 »

dutchy posted:
I've said it before and i'll say it again, you need 13 good players on a pitch not just 1 or 2 like on a football pitch, so we can't be blaming individual players they are all supposed to play as a team.
If you face someone 'one on one' you either put your body on the line, or the whole team is in trouble when you miss the tackle, that's a fact of life. Playing 'as a team' goes out the window in these situations.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

dutchy posted:
so we can't be blaming individual players they are all supposed to play as a team.
And I've said before that Kevin Brown is just yet another player who has been criticised this season, no-one's claiming he's the only one at fault. So far this year we've had criticisms of:-

Rads for not retiring a few years ago,
Ashton for not being Rads,
Calderwood for being crap under the bomb,
Richards for being a show-pony,
Dallas for not retiring last year,
DV for being,
Orr for not delivery over several years,
Moran for everything,
Feka for only being a 10 minute player,
Higham for not being Newton,
Logan for being a journeyman,
Fletcher for being too old,
Hanson/Prescott/Hargreaves/any young player for being too small,
Lockers for not being Farrell...

erm, thinking about it there's hardly a player in the squad who's not come in for stick of some sort this year, with the possible exception of Godwin, Dobson and Fielden.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Nine

Post by Nine »

Fraggle posted:
erm, thinking about it there's hardly a player in the squad who's not come in for stick of some sort this year, with the possible exception of Godwin, Dobson and Fielden.
Godwin??!! Always injured, too small, from Yorkshire.

Fielden??!! Here for the money, drops the ball too often (that knock-on v. Catalans), from Yorkshire.

Dobson???!!! Too little, poor kicker (2 out on the full v. Quins), lacks Moran's pinpoint accuracy in finding the fullback with kicks, from Australia.

Only kidding ........... :wink:
Squad number 18!
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

pedro posted:
Brown has scored more than Orr due to him playing centre most of the time which is a strike position...
McGuire seems to have made stand-off a strike position...
stevocod

Post by stevocod »

GeoffN posted:
pedro posted:
Brown has scored more than Orr due to him playing centre most of the time which is a strike position...
McGuire seems to have made stand-off a strike position...
well exactly as all good stand offs do as does Lockyer and what people fail to realise is that there aren't many people coming through or that are there now that are in the class of Lockyer or Mcguire.
chrisJJ

Post by chrisJJ »

i feel sad, we've lost yet another 'great prospect'and he used to play for the same juinor club i did (Ashton Bears) So i feel a bit sad but we don't need another 'great prospect' we need good players at this time
To be the best
you have to beat the best