Brexit UK vote to leave Europe in historic referendum

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
i'm spartacus

Re: Brexit UK vote to leave Europe in historic referendum

Post by i'm spartacus »

Wiganer Ted wrote:We export 44% of our total exports to the EU.
The EU export 8% of it's total exports to us.
We need them as an export market more than they need us.

If we don't agree to open borders we will face being excluded from the single market and customs union. Tariffs will be introduced.
Should tariffs be introduced then many Foreign Companies in the UK have said they will re-locate to the EU.
Other EU countries therefore will benefit from the tariffs and firms re-locating from the UK to them. We will lose jobs they will gain them. They will gain increased production and we will suffer production losses.

The meetings I went to the "Leave" MP's promised departing the EU would mean we could restrict immigration, retain free trade with the EU and not pay any further contributions into Europe.
All they have to do is deliver that and we'll all be happy.
So which is the biggest number then;

44% of 22 billion

or

8% of 1.8 trillion

Notwithstanding the fact that according to the EU export commission we actually receive 16% of the total exports from the EU.

We are the largest single receiver of exported goods from the EU. We import more from the EU than the USA does

So no ........ we don't need them more than they need us

Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

We are 1 country, they are 27 countries, us leaving will affect the UK far more than any one of the 27 countries.
Leaving the single market will decimate our economy if our major foreign owned exporters re-locate to the EU.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

We will be fine Ted after a few bumps in the road.

P.S Does this mean we no longer enter Eurovision too? :wink:
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

When the Japanese PM says his countries top investors will re evaluate staying in the UK if we leave the single market does anyone seriously think he is bluffing?
He will have had that advice from those companies for him to make that statement.
It will be very interesting to see where the "Leave" mp's are should some of these overseas companies re-locate to the EU, then how they explain away the job losses.
The size of those job losses will be more than bumps in the road!

Anyway this business hasn't even started yet.
May will be fortunate to get her repeal bill through parliament.
If she loses that vote then where does she go then with Brexit?
i'm spartacus

Post by i'm spartacus »

Wiganer Ted wrote:When the Japanese PM says his countries top investors will re evaluate staying in the UK if we leave the single market does anyone seriously think he is bluffing?
He will have had that advice from those companies for him to make that statement.
It will be very interesting to see where the "Leave" mp's are should some of these overseas companies re-locate to the EU, then how they explain away the job losses.

The repeal Bill makes no difference at all to our leaving the EU. Article 50 will be invoked regardless of whether it passes or not.. This I have set out in a previous post which you obviously failed to understand. To make it really short;

The repeal Bill, if passed, will only come into force after we have concluded the Article 50 process. Whether we repeal the European Communities Act or not, and as a matter of fact, EU Treaties will no longer apply to the UK once we have left the EU through the Article 50 process. This in itself will render the European Communities Act nugatory.

Maybe you should also re-evaluate your understanding of what the Japanese PM actually did say, which isn't even close to what you are claiming. Try using a reputable source other than sensationalised journalistic headlines, or if you are insistent being attracted by the headlines, read the rest of the content.

Also answer the question asked earlier - which one is the very much larger number? Your point on the fact that they are 27 countries and we are one is completely contradictory. They are as you say, in 'a single market' and a trading union; they are not individual countries which is what we will be once we have left. The EU exports amount to around 47% of GDP, whereas ours is around 27% of GDP.. So they are far more reliant on exports than we are, and the UK alone is the largest importer of goods from the rest of the EU.

Take away the rhetoric, and apply common sense. For what reason would a union predicated on free trade try to halt trade, or put up barriers in the way of trading with its biggest customer?

Where 'the leave MP's are' is neither here nor there. The people voted to leave, that was the result of the referendum. Like it or not, that is how it is
Josie's friend

Post by Josie's friend »

i'm spartacus wrote:
Wiganer Ted wrote:When the Japanese PM says his countries top investors will re evaluate staying in the UK if we leave the single market does anyone seriously think he is bluffing?

The repeal Bill makes no difference at all to our leaving the EU. Article 50 will be invoked regardless of whether it passes or not.. This I have set out in a previous post which you obviously failed to understand. To make it really short;

The repeal Bill, if passed, will only come into force after we have concluded the Article 50 process. Whether we repeal the European Communities Act or not, and as a matter of fact, EU Treaties will no longer apply to the UK once we have left the EU through the Article 50 process. This in itself will render the European Communities Act nugatory.

Maybe you should also re-evaluate your understanding of what the Japanese PM actually did say, which isn't even close to what you are claiming. Try using a reputable source other than sensationalised journalistic headlines, or if you are insistent being attracted by the headlines, read the rest of the content.

Also answer the question asked earlier - which one is the very much larger number? Your point on the fact that they are 27 countries and we are one is completely contradictory. They are as you say, in 'a single market' and a trading union; they are not individual countries which is what we will be once we have left. The EU exports amount to around 47% of GDP, whereas ours is around 27% of GDP.. So they are far more reliant on exports than we are, and the UK alone is the largest importer of goods from the rest of the EU.

Take away the rhetoric, and apply common sense. For what reason would a union predicated on free trade try to halt trade, or put up barriers in the way of trading with its biggest customer?

Where 'the leave MP's are' is neither here nor there. The people voted to leave, that was the result of the referendum. Like it or not, that is how it is
Was going to put a smiley but it would cheapen the sentiment, well done that was a fantastic response to the current situation.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Is it me or does Whelley Warrior seem to have gone ? and Josie's Friend has emerged :wink:
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Friend
I've driven landrovers for the last 20 years, and as I've worked in engineering all my life need I say anymore?
Furthermore, any company, be it finance, manufacturing, etc. will come under pressure now if foreign investment is involved.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

cpwigan wrote:Is it me or does Whelley Warrior seem to have gone ? and Josie's Friend has emerged :wink:
Whelley changed his name to owd codger. If he's emerged as JF somebody is writing his scripts!
Perhaps a thread on smartphones and modern day living would bring him out? :wink:
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Spark,

I understand what you write perfectly well. You draw your conclusions and I have my own views on the matter.
How all this runs from here no one knows.
Whether we leave the EU or not is still not decided, the most compelling thing is how May sees her chances of survival should it not all go to plan.
The EU has been the downfall of Tory PM's for the past 25+ years. The Anti Euro mob in her party are circling as they wanted 50 issued 3 months ago when Cameron said he would write it.
She is cuddling up to the French so they won't get nasty over any deal she could want. 1st Hinkley, now French steel for Trident, what next Alstom getting the contracts to build ALL HS2 trains?
Everything is now down to the politics.
May will do anything and everything to get some kind of a deal with the EU and the immigration more important that single market issue is to placate her MP's.
She'd better get this right or she'll be another Tory PM to lose their job over Europe.