wigan warriors up for sale

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
DaveO

Re: wigan warriors up for ...

Post by DaveO »

Markus35 posted:
Matter of opinion i guess.
I don't think the fact Latics will be relatively worse off compared to richer clubs despite the influx of TV money is a matter of opinion but stating the obvious.

Whoever finishes top will get several million quid prize money. If Latics finish lower down around where they did this season they will get about £700K. Given there is no way they will finish at the top then a lower relative income is a certainty.

If they are on TV less compared to the big clubs which is no doubt going to be the case they will get less money for TV appearances compared to the top sides.

The Premiership is getting even worse in terms of it being a very rich man's game. To join the club from outside now requires more than the Dave Whelans and Jack Walkers of this world could throw at the job.

What I don't understand is the fascination and support of fans of clubs like Latics and Bolton who seem content to complete in what is in effect a lower league within a league and being the "best of the rest". I know there is the chance of a European place in the second string cup competition if a team finishes high enough but again that is just a second string competition and teams like Latics won;' get very far even if they manage to qualify.

In fact I'd go as far as to say there are the top four clubs who divi up the trophies and European cup places, then teams like Everton and Man City who have the financial clout to do better and then right down at the lower end of the pecking order small clubs like Latics who survive in the competition by the skin of their teeth and are vulnerable to having their place taken by a richer club.

Just what is the point?

Dave
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

DaveO posted:

I don't think the fact Latics will be relatively worse off compared to richer clubs despite the influx of TV money is a matter of opinion but stating the obvious.

Whoever finishes top will get several million quid prize money. If Latics finish lower down around where they did this season they will get about £700K. Given there is no way they will finish at the top then a lower relative income is a certainty.

If they are on TV less compared to the big clubs which is no doubt going to be the case they will get less money for TV appearances compared to the top sides.

The Premiership is getting even worse in terms of it being a very rich man's game. To join the club from outside now requires more than the Dave Whelans and Jack Walkers of this world could throw at the job.
I agree here. Look at Bolton Wanderers, they dont have a multi-millionaire owner and have taken almost 11 years since they moved to the Reebok to be successful in getting into the Euro-positions... it's been the last 4 seasons they've edged towards the top and are now in Europe for the 2nd time... after at least 20 years since plans to move to the Reebok (or away from Burnden Park) were first mentioned. It's taken at least a decade to get their supporters to around 22,000 week in week out even with their on-field success.

Wigan however have Wheland and yes he can throw money into players but like Jewell said at the weekend, nobody wants to come to Wigan, not big names and so are continue to struggle in hiring championship (watch out for Nugent) or one-time high fliers from the Premiership (Heskey)... it's going to take several more years and a few relegations/promotions before Wigan can be stable in the Premiership and have an attractive fanbase (Bolton... Fulham... Charlton, Boro)
What I don't understand is the fascination and support of fans of clubs like Latics and Bolton who seem content to complete in what is in effect a lower league within a league and being the "best of the rest". I know there is the chance of a European place in the second string cup competition if a team finishes high enough but again that is just a second string competition and teams like Latics won;' get very far even if they manage to qualify.
It takes many years to go far enough in Europe Dave... the top 4 have all been to a final (bar chelsea) and won a european cup (Arsenal = uefa cup etc... early 1990s) For Wigan... it will be decades bbefore they realistically can beat the Shalcke's and Galatasarays of this world.
In fact I'd go as far as to say there are the top four clubs who divi up the trophies and European cup places, then teams like Everton and Man City who have the financial clout to do better and then right down at the lower end of the pecking order small clubs like Latics who survive in the competition by the skin of their teeth and are vulnerable to having their place taken by a richer club.

Just what is the point?

Dave
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Markus35

Post by Markus35 »

'What I don't understand is the fascination and support of fans of clubs like Latics and Bolton who seem content to complete in what is in effect a lower league within a league and being the "best of the rest". I know there is the chance of a European place in the second string cup competition if a team finishes high enough but again that is just a second string competition and teams like Latics won;' get very far even if they manage to qualify'

Its the global game,and we get to watch our team play the very best players in the world at the JJB.

Thats the attraction.

RL,is a game played in two northern counties and a couple of states in Australia.

I could easily ask you what is the attraction of following a sport with such a limited fanbase/international interest?
Markus35

Post by Markus35 »

P.S.

Jewell has gone,Latics have stayed up.

Isnt it great to see Wigan all over the front/back of the national papers and on every TV station.

Wigan Athletic proudly flying the flag for our town.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

obviously not good news as their manager resigned.

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
Of Fame
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

Markus35 posted:
'What I don't understand is the fascination and support of fans of clubs like Latics and Bolton who seem content to complete in what is in effect a lower league within a league and being the "best of the rest". I know there is the chance of a European place in the second string cup competition if a team finishes high enough but again that is just a second string competition and teams like Latics won;' get very far even if they manage to qualify'

Its the global game,and we get to watch our team play the very best players in the world at the JJB.

Thats the attraction.

RL,is a game played in two northern counties and a couple of states in Australia.

I could easily ask you what is the attraction of following a sport with such a limited fanbase/international interest?
The next question must therefore be, why are you on here if Wigan RL are so small and insignificant an issue?

Serious question. Why bother?

This message board is for Wigan RL fans, the vast majority of whom don't care one way or the other about Latics. You're never going to convert them from that POV. You're never going to convince them that football is a better game than Rugby League, or that it merits the ludicrously OTT amount of coverage it gets, or that Latics deserve an equal share of the town's support, or even that the most important event of this sporting weekend was not Wigan's stirling victory over Leeds.

Likewise, you're not going to make them believe that just because Wigan Athletic represent Wigan they're somehow owed the slavish loyalty and affection of everyone in the town.

So why bother?

You're only one of many who've been and gone on these boards, trying to drum up support for the football club and (in some cases) turning nasty when there's none forthcoming.

It's a lost cause ... really.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Markus35 posted:
P.S.

Isnt it great to see Wigan all over the front/back of the national papers and on every TV station.

Fantastic. What a terrific season to be proud of. You must be chuffed to bits buddy. Where do you go from here ?
ste lord

Post by ste lord »

Markus35 posted:
P.S.

Its a pitty it will never be for winning a trophy.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Keep Wigan "Wigan"

ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

The Sun or Daily Mirror aint exactly the most important of papers - workmen papers... at least The Times has something important like Lewis Hamilton on it's back page.

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
Of Fame
Markus35

Post by Markus35 »

'You're only one of many who've been and gone on these boards, trying to drum up support for the football club and (in some cases) turning nasty when there's none forthcoming'

I do goto Rugby games,and would love to see the Warriors get to Wembley this year.

There are a thousand people in Wigan,with season tickets for both codes,not everyone is blinkered one way or the other.

I was answering your point about the attraction of following teams like Wigan/Bolton.I know Dave is reducing season tickets for football to a more realistic level this year,it wouldnt surprise me if our season ticket sales in the summer matched the Warriors average attendence.