Coley confirmed

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Coley confirmed

Post by Mike »

MiThor posted:
pieater-alex posted:
lancaster077 posted:
Coly is leading the charts as the player who gives away the most penalties this year.
With Lockers and Hock i feel we will be in big trouble next year.

Coley needs to take the penalties out of his game.

nobby stated that contrary to rumours chev walker has not been training with wigan and has committed his future to bath and has NOT signed for wigan
... yet
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

GeoffN posted:
The thing that worries me most about the Coley signing is this quote from Maurice (already mentioned earlier in the thread:

"The announcement of Andy Coley today is an indication of our ambition"

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks we should have higher ambitions than that.

Coley as a useful squad player, yes, but an "indication of our ambition"? Surely not.
I think you're reading too much into what's probably nothing more than Maurice talking things up.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

MiThor posted:
nobby stated that contrary to rumours chev walker has not been training with wigan and has committed his future to bath and has NOT signed for wigan
Oh Yes he has been training with the Wigan Warriors. Fact! Perhaps Nobby wanted to be a little more "circumspect" regarding another club's player actually training with the side.
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Matthew posted:
Firstly - we need another prop; we needed one this year and didn't have it. Whoever else we sign this year, there needs to be another out and out bash and crash prop signed as well

Secondly - in the whole "Coley replaces Fletcher" situation I think that a couple of points should be considered.

Firstly, Fletcher isn't getting any younger. He has been less effective this year than he was last and I would imagine he will slip further next year. As he gets older he will be more likely to spend more time on the sidelines injured (although he hasn't as yet); his wages are a lot more than Coley would be paid - would we prefer to hang on to Fletcher for another year?

Coley may not be as good as Fletcher was last season however there is a good chance that he will be better than Fletcher is next season. With Hock's good form a rapidly fading memory, we need someone who can cover prop and 2nd row. Bailey maybe a 2nd row - however he is definitely not a prop. It's worth giving Coley a chance and seeing how he does.

Lastly at least we are replacing Fletcher with a British player - and not an overpriced over the hill Aussie; at least that is one thing in his favour!
:eusa2: :eusa2:
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Players we need to replace for next season

1 Ashton would not have been on a big wage
4 Withers also would not have been on a big wage .
12 Fletcher i think would have commanded a fair pay structure
14 Vaeleki reputed to be on £140,000
15 Nobody took up this number
17 Nobody took up this number

So going off last years squad we need 6 new players
Coley already signed
O'Carroll probably brought into the squad
Leaving 4 more players to purchase with not a lot of money to go round so IMO I dont expect big name signings to come to the JJB
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

I can't believe some of the garbage on here. If Coley was excited about joining us he is probably crapping it now! Talk about putting pressure on someone!

Why all the whingeing about him playing prop? I truly hope we sign another prop but if we don't and Coley is all we have, is that his fault? It's the person making the signings that would then deserve criticism not Coley.

Matthew's point about Coley replacing a fading Fletcher was absolutely spot on too. Also, if we do sign another prop and Coley plays second row I'd have him there before Hansen and Hock (on this season's form) in a heartbeat.

I say let's just wait and see, shall we? We all know we have other signings in the pipeline because Mo told us (!).

Finally, you never know how these things will turn out. For example, who thought Paul Anderson was a good buy for Saints?
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

[quote]lancaster077 posted:
Props near 18 stone or above.

Joe Vangana 18.8 (brad)
/quote]

and about another 2 stone whatever the BBC say :exc:
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

standishwarrior posted:
i wait to be convinced though!had to laugh at what i read on teletext, with lindsey announing the coley signing.... "negotions are well under way to strengthen the squad. the announcement of andy coley in an indication of our ambition!!! :lol: :lol:who's he trying to kid!
My thoughts exactly but have you yet found the shift key gor capitals yet?? :)
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

pie eaters posted:
I think he is a decent player and a solid one at that. Every team as a player who just does the simple things right.
I agree. Thats what we've missed. Players doing the simple things right
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

thegimble posted:
In terms of Coley replacing Fletcher it might be a backward step in some regards. But we need to sign decent players on a decent wage not 1 mega star and blow money we could use on 2 or 3 good players.
This argument simply does not wash because other teams are assembling squads that are better than ours by some distance at the moment.

If we signed a centre of real quality which I think everyone agrees we need (and Walker isn't really the answer there IMO) then Bailey could move to second row meaning we have him, Hansen and Hock for next season. They are all better second rows than Coley already IMO.
Saints sign the odd great player but get very good value for money players. Wilkin being the prime example. Also Fasavalu and Hargraves
Wilkin was a young raw player who was signed as a squad player whom they have brought on to be a first team regular. Hargreaves is the equivalent of Precott here and not a 1st team squad member (as in 1st 17 - he is no. 18).

Coley is 29 and heading toward the end of his career and will, if he is a direct replacement for Fletcher (which I think he is) be given a number in the 1st 17.

There is no comparison between these players situations.

Coley's wage could be better spent elsewhere, just as Withers and Millards wages should have gone toward a prop for this season.

I am not impressed with Nobby's recruitment record at all.

Dave