Latest On Greg Bird

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
cpwigan

Re: Latest On Greg Bird

Post by cpwigan »

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/bi ... 74624.html

Released by Cronulla but not allowed toplay NRL in 2009
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

Seems very likely he will come to the super league now but the question still remains who he will sign for.

Wigan and Huddersfield must are probably favourites but I've heard Warrington, Bradford and Hull FC are all linked.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/bi ... 74624.html
Bird has already rejected an offer from the battling Wakefield Wildcats, and it is believed glamour sides Wigan, Bradford and Warrington are locked in a three-way tussle to land the former Australian five-eighth. It is believed the Wakefield deal was worth £100,000 ($221,200) a season.
If Bird signs with a Super League club, he would have to fly back to Sydney in April to face charges of reckless wounding, public mischief and making false accusations over the incident, after which his girlfriend Katie Milligan required surgery for a fractured eye socket.
Bird would also need to secure a British work visa before he could play for a Super League club.
highland convert

Post by highland convert »

So we set our team up with Smith and Bird use the season to get into ur stride and 2010 the fly back to OZ ant say thanks for the money. I would rather stick with what we got. I think a lot here are underrating Phelps. As you are all harping on about, give our own youngsters the chance. Jim
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Hopefully, we will not have enough money to sign Bird Jim. At the fans forum IL said we had £20,000 left and if Bird has turned down £100,000 then I cannot see how we could sign him.

Might be for the best IMO.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

highland convert wrote:So we set our team up with Smith and Bird use the season to get into ur stride and 2010 the fly back to OZ ant say thanks for the money.
Very true and I have being saying this about Smith ever since he signed - that I expected him to leave after this forthcoming season. Hardly the recipe for a stable half back pairing is it?
I would rather stick with what we got. I think a lot here are underrating Phelps. As you are all harping on about, give our own youngsters the chance. Jim
We could of course sign Bird and Smith on long term deals if they were interested but that would freeze out Tomkins.

Dave
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

the thing i can see is Smith going and Bird coming in. I have doubts as to he will come or not. Why doesnt Celtic Crusaders put in a bid for him, for a year... leeds, wigan, saints have quality sides using the full cap im sure CC can fit in Bird and offload some players to Bramley
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
WESTCUMBRIARIVERSIDER

Post by WESTCUMBRIARIVERSIDER »

according to itv text, bradford have emerged as the most likely destination for bird who have lined him up as a replacement for harris
Oldham Warrior

Post by Oldham Warrior »

Bradford have confirmed they have signed bird
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_l ... 834791.stm
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

1 year contract with an option for a further 2

He could make Bradford a far better team in 2009

I think at 24 years old he will do 12 months here and return to the NRL so if that does happen I am glad we did not sign him.