Ainscough & Tomkins

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
turf

Re: Ainscough & Tompkins

Post by turf »

old hooker wrote:How in heavens name can Brian Noble drop the two young lads against the worst side in super league.I am all for resting them(particularly Sam)on occasions but this action beggars belief,i just fail to see what benefit the club or the players themselves can take from this.
Don't tell me he dropped Ainscough? Sam wasn't dropped, he scored a couple of tries. :conf:

On the official website Noble says:
Asked about Shaun Ainscough's absence, Brian said,

"He is fine, that element of duty of care we have for players is important, whilst he is scoring all those tries it is exciting but there are parts of his game he needs to work on, as there are with other players. I wanted to see Roberts, Richards and Phelps which offered a lot of threat for us but he will be back.
When though? That is the question.

I am totally :conf: as to why he dropped young Ainscough. He (Ainscough) must have been pretty guted I would imagine.
cherrywarrior

Post by cherrywarrior »

Indeeed he did!
Wish list: Billy Slater please!!!!!!!!
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

old hooker wrote:How in heavens name can Brian Noble drop the two young lads against the worst side in super league.I am all for resting them(particularly Sam)on occasions but this action beggars belief,i just fail to see what benefit the club or the players themselves can take from this.
I posted a while back how he would in all likely-hood drop the young players knowing full well we would win this game!! his reasons are "ball all to do with"...... "duty of care" more to do with "self preservation" in some moronic way he seems to think people will see that the reasons for losses are a couple of mistakes made by Ainscough or our lack of any attack being down to S Tomkins!! don't forget all this time he has had J Tomkins out of the team or on the fringes,a player who was one real sucsess last year, dropped O'carol (our best prop)while Fielden rots week by week and almost destroyed Goulding who looked half decent in his early games.
Duty of care my Arse!!!!!!!!!!!!
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
turf

Post by turf »

cherrywarrior wrote:Indeeed he did!
It beggars belief!!!! It really does. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Ainscough, has been very harshly treated on this occasion. :angry: :angry: :angry:
The Eclipse

Post by The Eclipse »

Here we go again,

Good young player starts well.
Noble says no, i'm going to start playing mind games.

Good young player dosen't know whether his spot is safe and therefore becomes nervous and uncertain.

Good young player makes the odd mistake.
Noble drops him again.

Fans get on the young players back and he loses all confidence.

Now, this is a very real scenario and is exactly what happened with Goulding, i''l put money on this happening to Ainscough.

highland convert

Post by highland convert »

Players coming back from injury. Let us keep them off for another week and start them against a stronger team. DOC goes up the line as well. SA possibly needed some rest at 19. Look at the 18,19,20 year olds that have had corrective surjery already. The coaches play players for a veriety of reasons. Good move to rest SA in my opinion. Look at Penny. Cracker at the start, where is he now? Noble did not need Aisncough. Pat and Carmont needed back in. Noble's job is to ballance a team not play players for fan popularity. More power to his elbow.
I see even a win cannot please some on here,
Jim
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

IMO you can't read too much into this. Ainscough could have been carrying a knock or genuinely in need of a break. In a (even for us) patently winnable game it makes some sense to rest your players and blood some of your returns or underperformers. Noble isn't going to play Smith against SH is he? And if he wants to see how Phelps slots in at wing, that's coaches perogative.

I think all of us are guilty of sometimes imagining players come off a shelf in storage, immune from colds, bad days and family life.

I once saw Quentin Pongia in the gym 2 days after a match. I thought at first his training was rubbish he was moving so slowly on the treadmill, until in the changing room I saw his ribs were bruised so badly it looked like somebody had taken a baseball bat to him. It was not acknowledged at all in the media and he played the following week, not especially well and copped flak for it.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

highland convert wrote:Players coming back from injury. Let us keep them off for another week and start them against a stronger team. DOC goes up the line as well. SA possibly needed some rest at 19. Look at the 18,19,20 year olds that have had corrective surjery already. The coaches play players for a veriety of reasons. Good move to rest SA in my opinion. Look at Penny. Cracker at the start, where is he now? Noble did not need Aisncough. Pat and Carmont needed back in. Noble's job is to ballance a team not play players for fan popularity. More power to his elbow.
I see even a win cannot please some on here,
Jim
The two players least in need of a rest get rested, and others coming back from injury or exhausted after the Easter games continue to get picked.
Two players who Noble admits still have things to learn, get rested (or half-rested). What exactly did they learn sat on the sidelines?

It's nothing to do with the win, Jim, it's to do with the long-term strategy.
We know, for example, that Ainscough need to work on his defence; how exactly does water-carrying do that?

neilbass

Post by neilbass »

Weststandrich :
Ainscough could have been carrying a knock or genuinely in need of a break
No injury, and definitely wanted to play.

I would argue however that Hock, Richards and Carmont were not fully fit or recovered from recent injuries.

About 10 minutes into the game Carmont looked absolutely shattered. Don't get me wrong he's a great player, but don't leave 100% fit, enthusiastic players to be water carriers, and then play half-injured players who are in real need of a rest.
turf

Post by turf »

neilbass wrote:Weststandrich :
Ainscough could have been carrying a knock or genuinely in need of a break
No injury, and definitely wanted to play.

I would argue however that Hock, Richards and Carmont were not fully fit or recovered from recent injuries.

About 10 minutes into the game Carmont looked absolutely shattered. Don't get me wrong he's a great player, but don't leave 100% fit, enthusiastic players to be water carriers, and then play half-injured players who are in real need of a rest.
Phew!!!!! What a relief that is. According to Noble's video interview, he says,
"Shaun likes what I have said to him, in the respect of, lets have a little bit of a rest Shaun and then get you back into the team".
Hm, something sounds fishy to me. Is Noble denying that he has a knock because surely he can work on "the basics" in training?!?!?! :conf: :conf: :conf: