Wigan v Wakefield

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

Re: Wigan v Wakefield

Post by ancientnloyal »

A game like Leigh is there for the reason that we are meant to hammer them, in that we sort out our attack and get things working... trial and error. The game against Wolves I would assume would be defence-orientated.

Just glad the snow and ice have gone and I'm sure Orrell will have a good workout of it's own this coming week.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Big ref wit' glasses

Post by Big ref wit' glasses »

Not a bad first hit out, not the finished article but nobody expects it. A few positives and negatives stood out.

Positives
1. Players looked fit showed in the last quarter.
2. Feka and Riddell looked like they've put some work in.
3. One on one defence looked good, technique sound.
4. Ball movement right to left excellent, seem to be driving right then moving the ball left good pattern.

Negatives
1. Defence in the centre slot, opposition centres seem to be able to slip outside ours or run over Sam if he's defending there.
2. Footwork, some of our footwork looked very laboured, stepping opposition players cause havok to our cover defence
3. Ball movement left to right seems laboured and uncomfortable.

On the whole not bad, lads showed spirit and theres plenty to work with
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The most pleasing aspect IMo is that both Feka and Piggy now look like rugby players. Great to see.
eccywarrior

Post by eccywarrior »

was visiting my gf dad in hospital last night and there was a leigh fan who went against warrington and he said warrington players are well and truly bulked up says never seen micky higham so big.
IN WANE WE TRUST
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Was there a reason for Wakefield's Gleeson bagging three tries.
Was it a good display from him, poor defence, or a mixture of both.
I just thought of him as a very average player, and to score three tries rings alarm bells.
Any thoughts.
shawxshark

Post by shawxshark »

Panchitta Marra wrote:Was there a reason for Wakefield's Gleeson bagging three tries.
I just thought of him as a very average player, and to score three tries rings alarm bells.
Any thoughts.
He had morrison inside him and he kept running sidewards and sucking in 3 defenders. i think one one occasion all he could have tripped up and still scored, but he did play well, our gleeson was none exsistant
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

shawxshark wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:Was there a reason for Wakefield's Gleeson bagging three tries.
Any thoughts.
He had morrison inside him and he kept running sidewards and sucking in 3 defenders. i think one one occasion all he could have tripped up and still scored, but he did play well, our gleeson was none exsistant
Thanks Shawxshark.
Morrison is a strong runner if allowed to play well.
Was Sam T at 6 or 7 against Wakey.
I remember the Bulls putting Morrison at six against Baz a couple of seasons ago. Big mistake by McNamarra that day, as Baz had him in tatters.
It was a friendly, a game to learn from as Kear always has his teams up for it.
Lets hope the mistakes are seen and corrected.
shawxshark

Post by shawxshark »

no panch sam was 7 howarth was 6 with tommy 9
piglet was subbing as he should have been, didnt really like what he did when he scored instead of just putting the ball down he purposely ran at wakefields young full back when he was over line to try run over him when it was easier just to put ball down, i know he plays for our team but its really disrespect to lad who was 1 and altough riddel didnt, he deserved to get put on his arse for a trick like that, i'm sure if it was say sean briscoe at 1 he wouldn't have done that.
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

shawxshark wrote:no panch sam was 7 howarth was 6 with tommy 9
piglet was subbing as he should have been, didnt really like what he did when he scored instead of just putting the ball down he purposely ran at wakefields young full back when he was over line to try run over him when it was easier just to put ball down, i know he plays for our team but its really disrespect to lad who was 1 and altough riddel didnt, he deserved to get put on his arse for a trick like that, i'm sure if it was say sean briscoe at 1 he wouldn't have done that.
And will this "direspecting" the Wakefield player mean that the he will be a bit nervous if he has to face Riddell in a league or cup game? Probably, so that is a good thing, get them worried about you before you have even walked onto the pitch.

I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
shawxshark

Post by shawxshark »

Its not the point i'm making highland.

My point is it was far far easier for him to put ball down as he was already over line, i bet MM wasnt best pleased cos if he had hve drop ball/knocked on or got smashed/held up it would have been no try all for the sake of him trying to make himself look good, i'm all for run at the guy if he was gettin ran into the corner but he was over line 5ft to side of sticks thats all :D