gaz hock thread

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: Gaz Hock

Post by cpwigan »

Wes

Post by Wes »

cpwigan wrote:How do Wigan fans feel about Bryan Fletcher?

http://bop.nppa.org/2006/still_photogra ... 42440.html

Thats a baddy! Did he get done for that and how long if so?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

josie andrews wrote:Not seen the Hock incident yet, but looking at this photo, that, IMO, isn't 'gouging'! The guy's hand is flat.

To 'gouge' your finger/s would be in a bent or hooked position surely?
Then he will be found not guilty and you have to question why the charge was brought in the first place. To prove the RFL examined it fully? Surely they could do that and just say "no case to answer" rather than drag him up before the panel? So I am guessing they reckon there is a case to answer.

They could dismiss it but that is the problem with the disciplinary. No one has any idea how it works!
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

When I watched it at the time, my gut instinct was that he was trying to gouge.

I've watched it again a few times and Hocky seemed to be deliberately moving that hand around looking for the eye socket/ eyebrow to lever against.

Crackers. Absolutely crackers.
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

weststand-rich wrote:When I watched it at the time, my gut instinct was that he was trying to gouge, but couldn't get the grip to do it - I've watched it again a few times and Hocky seemed to be deliberately moving that hand around looking for the eye socket/ eyebrow to lever against.

Crackers. Absolutely crackers.
WiganWarrior

Post by WiganWarrior »

I thought up til now he has done well to control his temper, this showed the old Gaz Hock. I don't think it's a full on gouge but he does deserve to be banned.

I thought he looked like he lifted the team when he came On and ran strong
Wigan til i Die !!!!

"Its like a game of union the ball disappears for 3-4 tackles then appears to be kicked" BBC GMR
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

GBH wrote:Looking at that image what is all the fuss about no eye gouging there...
Agree, to me, that is just accidental that it is near Harrisons eye & as previously stated Harrison didn't react to it!

And looking at the other two post off cp, there is nothing to compare to Fletcher's or the RU attack!!!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wes

Post by Wes »

Trouble is though with Madge being a disciplinarian Hocks hand/arm should have been no where near his face never mind his eyes!

Hock kopped an elbow which triggered him off but he should know better he knew what he was doing he could have avoided the gouge got up as he did and give him an uppercut anyway!

We would then be saying yes he kopped an elbow and as an enforcer he showed Wire whos boss! 1-2 game ban thats fine but as we are he will be made an example of with a minimum of 4 games and a maximum of 9 with a fine hmmm.

We play as a team and individuals should remember that their actions have direct consequences and reactions on the team, we have had had some silverware which was all won as a disciplined team!

Lockers could do with a breather, Coley can always do with a breather H had a nightmare Mossop could do with another week off and Hock could have done with more game time as it is we will now be forced to be stretched with no Hock for the forseeable.
Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

I think that to avoid this kind of trial/punishment, you as a defender have to ensure that your tackles are nowhere near the head, let alone the eyes. If you do this, you're never going to be looked at for gauging. I don't think that it's in the same league as Fletcher's (Crikey!!) but he's still tried to rip Harrison's head off and his fingers are right over/in his eyes.
Let's be honest, anyone only gets one pair of eyes and I think the RFL are well within their rights to make a point of saying that if players go near their opponent's eyes they will be rightly punished. It only takes a slip and this can and does blind people.
As I've said before, I'm a big Hock fan and I really don't think he went to gauge Harrison but he got his fingers in a position where potentially he could have cost Harrison his sight. That is something that the RFL should take very seriously and have done.
I don't think Hock will play again this season. And honestly, I don't think he ought to.
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

i think thats the key to this kiwiseddon, basically we shouldnt over react and make out that Gaz tried to blind harrison, because clearly he didnt. That said we shouldnt say just because he didnt cause damage to the eye, or attempt too that it should be taken lightly, he put his hand in and around the eye area which should NOT be tolerated by any player and should be punished
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure