Thornley or Gelling

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Fujiman

Re: Thornley or Gelling

Post by Fujiman »

medlocke wrote:which one played yesterday and how did he do?
both played badly by all accounts
mario

Post by mario »

As with a lot of people, Gelling frightens the life out of me.
We need safe rather than creative, we have enough players in the squad to do something spectacular, but it doesn't matter how creative we are, if it is undone by a weak link in the last minute.
Gelling reminds me of Vaealiki, who was capable of the odd break, but also very capable of losing the game for us.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

mario wrote:As with a lot of people, Gelling frightens the life out of me.

Gelling reminds me of Vaealiki, who was capable of the odd break, but also very capable of losing the game for us.
Lazy, unfit, poor wingman's centre with limited skills and with an average defence. Sounds more like Thornley, are you sure you actually remember how bad Vaealiki really was?

Gelling is many things and not many others but at least he can make good yardage and a few breaks from his own efforts
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
NeeNawWarrior22

Post by NeeNawWarrior22 »

IMO neither are of good enough standard to play 1st team centre position for Wigan. Thornley is solid enough defensively but doesn't offer enough in attack.
I'm not and have never been a fan of Gelling in the centre/wing position. I've said it before, he's not a centre, never will be.
mario

Post by mario »

butt monkey wrote:

Lazy, unfit, poor wingman's centre with limited skills and with an average defence. Sounds more like Thornley, are you sure you actually remember how bad Vaealiki really was?

Gelling is many things and not many others but at least he can make good yardage and a few breaks from his own efforts
unfortunately i do remember how bad Vaealiki was, and Gelling is in the same mould.
We have several players to make yardage, but if there's tackle you want making, I'd rather it was Thornley there to make it and not Gelling.
Gelling also looks like he's ready to drop the ball everytime he receives it.
NeeNawWarrior22

mario wrote:
butt monkey wrote:

unfortunately i do remember how bad Vaealiki was, and Gelling is in the same mould.
We have several players to make yardage, but if there's tackle you want making, I'd rather it was Thornley there to make it and not Gelling.
Agreed. Can't see a place for him at Wigan.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Gelling can be great going forward but he has a regar habit of popping the pill when someone gets under him in a tackle. Hull fc are a forceful team who seem good at dislodging the ball in such tackles which could see gelling come up short. For this game I would opt for thornley for that reason.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

mario wrote:
butt monkey wrote:

You just confirmed you can't remember Vaealiki!
DV's problem was that he was seriously injured when signed and never got fit whilst here. He would have been 20 yards down field from any break to have offered anyone to pass too. His hands were not that bad, just he was so lazy he makes Thornley look like Gene Miles or Mal Meninga in their pomp.

His lack of pace and willingness to take the ball up meant he rarely made any break or yards whatsoever (apart from THAT game against Leeds) and relied on walk-in's for those he did score

Either way, you are attempting a pointless argument over which player is the worst and quite simply put, neither should be in Wigan's current first team squad as they are appalling flawed in their ability or lack thereof
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

butt monkey wrote:
mario wrote:
butt monkey wrote: Lazy, unfit, poor wingman's centre with limited skills and with an average defence. Sounds more like Thornley, are you sure you actually remember how bad Vaealiki really was?

DV's problem was that he was seriously injured when signed and never got fit whilst here. He would have been 20 yards down field from any break to have offered anyone to pass too. His hands were not that bad, just he was so lazy he makes Thornley look like Gene Miles or Mal Meninga in their pomp.

His lack of pace and willingness to take the ball up meant he rarely made any break or yards whatsoever (apart from THAT game against Leeds) and relied on walk-in's for those he did score

Either way, you are attempting a pointless argument over which player is the worst and quite simply put, neither should be in Wigan's current first team squad as they are appalling flawed in their ability or lack thereof
But that is not Gelling's or Thornley's fault. Thornley is a winger not a centre for me. And Gelling is a 2nd row not a centre. This is the lack of forward thinking by the owner who thinks he can get let Carmont go and cover the most vital back line position with a novice.
NeeNawWarrior22

thegimble wrote:
butt monkey wrote:
mario wrote: unfortunately i do remember how bad Vaealiki was, and Gelling is in the same mould.

But that is not Gelling's or Thornley's fault. Thornley is a winger not a centre for me. And Gelling is a 2nd row not a centre. This is the lack of forward thinking by the owner who thinks he can get let Carmont go and cover the most vital back line position with a novice.
Agree Re Gelling being a second row but no way on gods green earth is Thornley a winger. Never.