Wigan Vs Catalans

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
thegimble

Re: Wigan Vs Catalans

Post by thegimble »

Kaii wrote:Yes it's a poor start but the emphasis is on start and the league shield is every big teams last priority. The new format will get rid of the slacking off and resting players once you secure top 8. As you said next season it'll be different

The good point is if we win our game in hand it's only 4 points behind top which is nothing
Blooming heck i agree with you. For all the pundits on SKY going nuts for Leeds and their unbeaten start to the season up to Friday night, we win our game in hand and were 1 point behind. And apart from Wire we have been awful this season by our own standards.

It does feel we are struggling to get it together and its a new side so it will. Hopefully a good win against in the CC on Friday and a mauling of London will see us improve.

Poor atm we are but i do think we will improve and start to play decent 80 minutes of rugby. But this is SL weakness all we need to do is improve when we have to and that is when the play offs starts. And then i expect us and Leeds to peak.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Agreed the end result is ultimately what you judge teams / clubs on BUT that was not what Wane promised when he became coach and reiterated eve a couple of weeks ago. Vitally, crowds will drop if people keep being bombarded with the message games do not matter.
i'm spartacus

Post by i'm spartacus »

I don't think we should under estimate the contribution that Roby made to frustrating the game. Generally, folks complain about the Ref, but this display by the officials was as bad a display as I've ever witnessed. So bad was is control of Cats line, that at one point, every one of the players to his left were 3 yards in front of him, including the player stood immediately to his left. Having watched the 15 minute highlights on WTV, Roby gave a penalty which led to a Cats try, awarded against Josh for a ball steal with two men in the tackle, when Josh never actually took the ball.

It wasn't by any means a joined up performance, but that being said, we spent almost the entire second half camped in their half, while they defended very well aided by the fact that they were allowed to lie on, and line up offside. Catalan are a far better side than their early games indicated, and they deserve some credit. How any game unfolds isn't always just a question of whether Wigan play well or not so well as the opposition can get their defence working well which in turn upsets your attack.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

i'm spartacus wrote:I don't think we should under estimate the contribution that Roby made to frustrating the game. Generally, folks complain about the Ref, but this display by the officials was as bad a display as I've ever witnessed. So bad was is control of Cats line, that at one point, every one of the players to his left were 3 yards in front of him, including the player stood immediately to his left. Having watched the 15 minute highlights on WTV, Roby gave a penalty which led to a Cats try, awarded against Josh for a ball steal with two men in the tackle, when Josh never actually took the ball.

It wasn't by any means a joined up performance, but that being said, we spent almost the entire second half camped in their half, while they defended very well aided by the fact that they were allowed to lie on, and line up offside. Catalan are a far better side than their early games indicated, and they deserve some credit. How any game unfolds isn't always just a question of whether Wigan play well or not so well as the opposition can get their defence working well which in turn upsets your attack.
I have supported the game for over forty years during which time I have seen some good referees and some bad referees. The display by Roby on Friday, especially in the first half was one of the worse I have ever witnessed and the general standard at the moment is poor and a blight on our great game.

But what else can you expect when the person in charge was no better himself as a Referee.

Like having a blind man leading the blind.

If there is one person we should have from Australia, it is one of their retired Referee's to take charge of refereeing like we used to have a few season's ago when it was far better than it is now.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

You could and I will argue that we are as well placed as last year, when no one (least of all many of our fans) gave us a chance.
Wane and his team of coaches have surely done enough to earn our faith and trust - the number of times people write "I suppose people will mention the double, but..." beggars belief - and I must say I am pretty relaxed. The 3 main challenges which we faced were:
- goal kicking, where Smith looks to be improving. We needed that touch line goal on Friday;
- replacing Pat on the wing, where Budgie has been fantastic; and
- getting an attacking threat from 1, where Bowen looks to be stepping up very nicely. No one touches him because his awareness, speed off the mark and agility are fantastic.
I simply don't remember Mossop doing me for us than Flower, and have seen I much of Clubb that I am certain he will go well.
The Cup draw was a great piece of good fortune for us, as it means Saints have to keep their form and focus for even longer whereas we can target Good Friday. I expect even the most doomy and gloomy ones will enjoy a happy Easter.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

i'm spartacus wrote:I don't think we should under estimate the contribution that Roby made to frustrating the game. Generally, folks complain about the Ref, but this display by the officials was as bad a display as I've ever witnessed. So bad was is control of Cats line, that at one point, every one of the players to his left were 3 yards in front of him, including the player stood immediately to his left. Having watched the 15 minute highlights on WTV, Roby gave a penalty which led to a Cats try, awarded against Josh for a ball steal with two men in the tackle, when Josh never actually took the ball.

I touched on that point that Wigan allowed Roby to become an influence on how the game went over the 80 minutes.

This is the very same referee a Castleford "fan" ran onto the pitch at Salford to confront and who if I remember correctly came in for huge criticism over two of his previous matches also. He is an idiot of the highest order and the more fans complained about Catalans being offside, the more obstinate he became and you could actually see he stared at the Wigan ptb and ignored that aspect of offside totally!

For me the lethargy from the players was the real reason for our struggle against Catalans (and it gave Roby the impetus for his inadequacies). From the off we had very slow ptb's, no scooting, no dummy runners, too many shirt pullers, poor kicking and not enough energy (which is strange as they were supposed to have been given 3 days off after the Warrington victory) all this in some terrible weather conditions and you get what we saw
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Thought it was James Childs :conf:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

I thought it was another inept Tim Roby performance.