Salford vs Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Owd Codger

Re: Salford vs Wigan

Post by Owd Codger »

The Salford team is nothing but a team of known individuals, many of whom are at the end of their careers and some who have gone there to be on a gravy train of easy money.

If KouCash thinks that putting together a team of all well known players will bring out the people of Salford to watch them, he is only showing his ignorance of our game.

Look at all the good teams and you will find that they combine a mixture of experience and academy players.
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

Whelley Warrior wrote:The Salford team is nothing but a team of known individuals, many of whom are at the end of their careers and some who have gone there to be on a gravy train of easy money.

If KouCash thinks that putting together a team of all well known players will bring out the people of Salford to watch them, he is only showing his ignorance of our game.

Look at all the good teams and you will find that they combine a mixture of experience and academy players.
Koukash is on a steep learning curve. In one season he's found in microcosm, what Wigan experienced between 2004-2008. He's replaced coaching staff three times, backroom staff, infrastructure and virtually the entire playing roster. What's the lesson. In a talent-limited environment, you can't just cherry pick some experienced players on their physical decline and expect them to magic it out of nowhere. Morley, Meli, Puleteu, Gleeson are all the wrong side of 30. In the key positions they have a maverick (Chase), a gamble (Smith), a loan (Tomkins) and a flake (Eden). In our modern game, you grow sucess in rugby league , you don't buy it outright.

I got to give a respectful chapeau to Waney. I keep expecting the wheels to come off and they keep staying on. He's added real value.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:If Harris got sacked, would we take him back?
I'd say no. We restructured our coaching team following his departure and evidence suggests we are coping admirably without him. To give him his old job back would be unfair on Deacon, a Wigan lad!
The Eclipse

Post by The Eclipse »

Noble had no interest in developing young players.
Marc Sneyd and Jodie Broughton were amongst the lot he shipped out and another Niall Evalds is the most talented back at the club but poorly treated by Noble and his confidence is shot.

BriH

Post by BriH »

I feel privileged to watch this young team taking on all comers thus far.
What a testimony to Shaun Wane who has proven what a fantastic coach he is.
His attitude is first class and the hunger and team spirit he has brought to this team is absolutely marvelous.
(I'm on his Xmas card list by the way! :) :) )
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

It's really not our concern what is (or isn't) happening at Salford but a sensible owner would have looked at what Denis Betts (and let's hope he comes back at some time in the future) has achieved at Widnes with backing and patience from the owners.

As for us - although Salford were pretty abject and seemed frightened to do anything other than the basics for most of the game - I was really pleased that players who I doubted (Gelling/Hughes/Powell) stepped up and had great matches.

I thought Matty Smith ran the entire match and looked a real leader. Manfredi's tackle on Meli was the highlight of the night - this might just be the beginning of something really very special.

To be fair, I did think Salford suffered when Logan was off and perked up when he came back in the second half. I hope we don't give up on him - his passing is quicker and better and his decision-making looks to have improved.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Kittwazzer wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:If Harris got sacked, would we take him back?
I'd say no. We restructured our coaching team following his departure and evidence suggests we are coping admirably without him. To give him his old job back would be unfair on Deacon, a Wigan lad!
That is good enough for me Kitt!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

A successful RL club in Manchester (Salford) is vital for everybody in RL just as London is.

The Dr is the type of vocal person you need in a city when competing for attention with 2 of the biggest football clubs in the world.
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

cpwigan wrote:A successful RL club in Manchester (Salford) is vital for everybody in RL just as London is.

The Dr is the type of vocal person you need in a city when competing for attention with 2 of the biggest football clubs in the world.
Correct. Super League needs all the big clubs that it can get, particulalry big City clubs.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

cpwigan wrote:A successful RL club in Manchester (Salford) is vital for everybody in RL just as London is.

Judging by the way that Salford are no better off on the playing side than before his purchase of the club, it would appear that not many in Salford are listening to Dr KouCash