Salford game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Salford game

Post by Mike »

The DW's been a pretty rubbish atmosphereless ground msot of the time anyway. I've got no particular affinaty with it even after all this time, so I'll be glad when we move into our own ground. I reckon we can afford it, and hopefully IL has started negotiations to get out of the lease citing incidents such as this to achieve that.

I nice safe terracing 15K ground would do me, with a focus on atmosphere generation. Lets go do it.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

I would go for a 20 000 stadium, be great to have a real home, although I can't see it unless we are forced to, or we get new owners who want to splash cash. With the right cocept I think it could be done. A 20k capacity would be needed though as with the right promotion I think we could easily break 15 000 average.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Second Row

Post by Second Row »

Could there be any future in approaching WMBC and developing the Sport Arena into a 20k stadium at Robin park and thus being able to use the existing car parks , it all ready has the pitch area inside the track but stands and facilities would need considerable upgrade.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

i'm spartacus wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:
No straw damn us wrote: 15% is owned by Wigan Council. btw Wigan Football Ltd is NOT the same as Wigan Athletic.
14% actually (4.9 million of the £35 million cost of building the Stadium).

The name of Wigan Football Club Limited is more than likely the trading name of Wigan Athletic who own the Stadium and which is registered with Companies House. Prior to Whelan donating the Stadium to the Latic's, it was owned by Whelco, the trading name of Whelan's business empire. In other words, it is still owned by Whelan as he owns Wigan Athleic.

Wigan Rugby League Club Limited is the trading name of Wigan Warriors and registered with Companies House.
The ground is owned by Wigan Athletic Holdings https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/com ... 3/officers

The football club is a subsidiary https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/00270043

Latics did at one time own the stadium, but this all altered at the time of Whelan's debt to equity swap when Whelco was liquidated and assets changed ownership. The up shot is, despite the fact that the same people control both the holding company and the football club, they are distinct and seperate entities.

The Warriors have a lease, and any financial obligations they have in respect of ground maintenance should be in that lease. In general, landlords don't rock up and carry out large scale maintenance then send a bill to a tenant unless a lease says he can. I can't imagine any situation where a landlord could bill you for damage you haven't caused even if the clause was in it
They may be seperate distinct and seperate enterties, but the fact remains that the Latic's own the Stadium as Wigan Athletic is owned by Whelan, his Wife and Grandson under the company name of Wigan Athletic Holdings Limited and the Stadium is operated under the trading name of the DW Stadium to make it look as if it is a seperate independant company which is not the case.

WiganWoman1968

Post by WiganWoman1968 »

cpwigan wrote:I take it you wrote to him?
No I did not. One letter would have zero effect as others have pointed out.
WiganWoman1968

Post by WiganWoman1968 »

keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote:
WiganWoman1968 wrote:
Cherry_Warrior wrote:Indeed. Echo most of the comments on here. More season tickets sales going down the drain here too. I hope the club actually realises the kind of revolt they are causing. Moving games at a moments notice, playing OUR (the fans') HOME games in London and not to mention de-railing our Challenge Cup run last season by moving our home game. A match i am 100% positive we wouldn't have lost here. Farcical and the comedy of errors is leading the fans to increasingly watch it on the box. Paying good money for a season ticket to watch a certain allocated number of games without discount or refund for moved games. 2 games confirmed that have been moved, probably 3 in the next few weeks and god knows how many more. Not good enough Mr Lenagan and the fans are going to vote with their feet. No wonder we have such a long unbeaten home record, We are never fecking there.
Spot on.
I was laughed at when I suggested writing this to Mr L to ram it home to him :conf:
You was not laughed at by me and many more on here. I strongly believe that people power is the strongest force known. if fans stick together for the same goal they can achieve anything Liverpool fans have proved that on many occasions Hillsborough and most recently 77 minute walk out. After all the fans are the club not the comics running it without fans there would not be a sport and to be treated as we are with total disrespect needs challenging. It has already been said but it is true if saints Leigh Warrington to name a few can build new stadia with some less than half our crowds then why can't we. I would move any where to get away from the nightmare stadium owners. That's bloody desperate.

:(
Thank you. I agree with you. The more voices the better. And then it doesn't always work but at least they have to listen. My Dad went on the coach to London with a load of others to try and stop the Tesco Central Park shenanigans. Clearly that didn't work either!
x Wigan Warrior x

Post by x Wigan Warrior x »

Both IL and WMBC are not interested in building a new stadium. Waste of time dreaming about it IMO.
we don't stop playing because we grow old ....... we grow old because we stop playing
WiganWoman1968

Post by WiganWoman1968 »

x Wigan Warrior x wrote:Both IL and WMBC are not interested in building a new stadium. Waste of time dreaming about it IMO.
You'll grow old if you stop dreaming :wink:
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

In reply to Whelley Warrior's question on another forum about 'my opinion' on 'people moaning' about this thread.
Moving the Salford game to Thursday makes no difference to me at all as I am retired. As do Thursday games already scheduled.

BUT, I know & sympathise with everyone that moving this game, & others, affects.

Quite a few of my friends have either booked holidays or changed shifts to watch this game that was scheduled for Friday & will now miss it!

Yes, I would love a stadium of our own, but I know this will never happen. (Not in my lifetime anyway) I would very much like to be proved wrong on that score.

And yes, I do get angry about Wigan Warriors & its fans having to kowtow to the whims of Wigan Athletic & sometimes Sky.
I hope this is enough of an answer Whelley?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
WiganWoman1968

Post by WiganWoman1968 »

Thanks Josie!