Wigan versus Castleford

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
TrueBlueWarrior

Re: Wigan versus Castleford

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

As much as I love Manfredi, defensively I thought he was found wanting a couple of times last night!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Determination The Key

Wigan Warriors forward Joel Tomkins on Wigan’s 33-26 win at Castleford Tigers

England international makes a return from injury

Wigan Warriors beat Castleford Tigers 33-26 in First Utility Super League
Joel Tomkins said Wigan’s determination was vital after the Warriors held off Castleford to secure a vital two points.

The Cherry and Whites scored five tries compared to Castleford’s four, with Matty Smith racking up 13 points owing to six goals and a crucial drop-goal to kill the game off.

Playing in only his seventh game of the campaign, Tomkins said: “We didn’t do ourselves any favours at times.

“We gave a few penalties away at poor times and put ourselves under pressure but on the other side I thought a massive plus was our determination, resolve and effort for each other.

“We played well in patches in both attack and defence. We dug deep in the second-half and came away with the two points which is the main thing.

“Castleford is always a tough place to go so it is good that we put in a decent performance, effort-wise and ability-wise. We have scored more than 30 points in our last two games which is an improvement and shows we are coming along well in our attack.” he added.

The 29-year-old was the only change in the squad from Magic Weekend as he returned from a knee injury in place of injured skipper Sean O’Loughlin.

“I’m glad to be back playing.” He continued.

“I have been in and out of the team this year with a knee injury which I am trying to manage but I enjoyed it in the middle. I had a chat with Shaun Wane ahead of the game and we thought playing in the middle was not as much lateral movement and not as much space around which might have been better for me.

“I think moving on that I will play more in the middle and as you get older that is generally what happens now because the game is so quick.” Tomkins said.

The England star believes improvements can made despite the win: “I think a lot of teams would have got turned over on Thursday with the way Cas played and even with the lead we had, they are quite hard to defend against when they started to throw the ball around so we are happy we got the result we wanted but there are still some things we can work on.”

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2016- ... 1LH3Mtf.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
TrueBlueWarrior

Just said on another thread I thought he played prop.
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:Just said on another thread I thought he played prop.
Yes, I quoted the piece where he comments on being played there on that thread :)
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
TrueBlueWarrior

josie andrews wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:Just said on another thread I thought he played prop.
Yes, I quoted the piece where he comments on being played there on that thread :)
:wink:
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

A hard worked and well deserved win.
To beat that Cas team on their patch is a very good performance.
The last two seasons we were 0-16 down in as many minutes.
I can only imagine HullFC winning there last night, I think they'd have beaten anyone else.

Sam T being back has made a massive difference in both attack and defence. Williams, Smith & Powell played far better than they have been doing as Sam gives the opposition something to really think about and divert all their attention from Matty Smith.

Well done to Waney, he takes a lot of stick on here for the reasons we all know but last might I thought we played fast entertaining Rugby and it was winning Rugby.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

In an interview with Wigan TV, Shaun Wane says he went to shake hands with Daryl Powell, & he moreorless says they, Castleford, weren't very happy & that Powell didn't because he was disappointed!!

The Yorkshire press in their interview with Powell inferred that Wigan were slowing the game down! Powell agreed & complained bitterly about the referee being biased towards Wigan!!
TrueBlueWarrior

He was far from happy after the game in his interview.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Daryl Powell fumed with the performance of Ben Thaler following Castleford’s defeat to Wigan.

The Tigers’ winning streak came to an end as they went down 33-26 to the Warriors at The Mend-A-Hose Jungle, with Josh Charnley’s two tries helping Wigan move joint top in Super League.

Powell was particularly aggrieved with Thaler’s decision to sin-bin Jake Webster on half-time after the centre complained at the decision not to award a penalty for offside.

Dom Manfredi scored in the ten minutes Webster was off the field, and Powell said: “It was the way the whole night went, a referee losing his cool completely and that’s unacceptable.

“He got dropped after he refereed us in Catalans and, if I drop a player as many times as referees get dropped, I’d probably be getting rid him at the end of the year.

“There was some unacceptable stuff. I’ll get fined for this but respect works both ways and players need respect in the way you speak to them.”

http://www.totalrl.com/powell-attack-thaler/
TrueBlueWarrior

josie andrews wrote:Daryl Powell fumed with the performance of Ben Thaler following Castleford’s defeat to Wigan.

The Tigers’ winning streak came to an end as they went down 33-26 to the Warriors at The Mend-A-Hose Jungle, with Josh Charnley’s two tries helping Wigan move joint top in Super League.

Powell was particularly aggrieved with Thaler’s decision to sin-bin Jake Webster on half-time after the centre complained at the decision not to award a penalty for offside.

Dom Manfredi scored in the ten minutes Webster was off the field, and Powell said: “It was the way the whole night went, a referee losing his cool completely and that’s unacceptable.

“He got dropped after he refereed us in Catalans and, if I drop a player as many times as referees get dropped, I’d probably be getting rid him at the end of the year.

“There was some unacceptable stuff. I’ll get fined for this but respect works both ways and players need respect in the way you speak to them.”

http://www.totalrl.com/powell-attack-thaler/
Daryl, the ref got the decision right at the end of the first half so Webster was completely wrong to complain!