19-Man Squad: Vs Salford

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
TrueBlueWarrior

Re: 19-Man Squad: Vs Salford

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

endoman wrote:Spoke today with a strength and conditioning coach for a pro RL side. Also a university lecturer on the subject. Only way to prevent injury is never to play or train. Wigan staff v well qualified and doing things the correct way. Stuff happens.....
.......such as bad luck!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
endoman

Post by endoman »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
endoman wrote:Spoke today with a strength and conditioning coach for a pro RL side. Also a university lecturer on the subject. Only way to prevent injury is never to play or train. Wigan staff v well qualified and doing things the correct way. Stuff happens.....
Yep.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

medlocke wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
Exactly. I wonder why Chris Brookes was appointed as the England doctor?
Because he was cheap??
Where is your proof to support such a claim??
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
while i agree in principle this year will be the telling year to me

Luck is only luck when the thing in question is not consistent - for the last 2 years we have consistently had a full treatment room if for a 3rd year we have the same then thats not luck thats something that is wrong.

I agree with you in terms of players can get injured in matches etc but i dont think you can discount training methods just because the injuries dont happen in training. Over/under training muscle groups can have a huge effect when they are put under the biggest stresses (which is the games) so if you have glut of ankle injuries that happen in games it doesn't always mean it was unavoidable there could be something that is being done too much or too little to leave ankles weak for example

Like i say for me if we have another year with a huge injury list then there is defiantly something amiss in the way that we are looking after our players bodies in general
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wiganer123

Post by Wiganer123 »

How do you draw the conclusion that the 3rd year is when "luck" runs out? Why not year 4, year 5...

Wigan_forever1985

Wiganer123 wrote:How do you draw the conclusion that the 3rd year is when "luck" runs out? Why not year 4, year 5...
Because to me that the start of consistency, any team can have an injury crisis in a season, the following season then again unlucky to have another but then from 3 years on that consistency IMO

that my view anyway

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
SJ

Post by SJ »

Makes Sense to me
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

medlocke wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote: Exactly. I wonder why Chris Brookes was appointed as the England doctor?
Because he was cheap??
Where is your proof to support such a claim??
What claim Mr Lenagan, I only asked a question, please don't sue me
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
while i agree in principle this year will be the telling year to me

Luck is only luck when the thing in question is not consistent - for the last 2 years we have consistently had a full treatment room if for a 3rd year we have the same then thats not luck thats something that is wrong.

I agree with you in terms of players can get injured in matches etc but i dont think you can discount training methods just because the injuries dont happen in training. Over/under training muscle groups can have a huge effect when they are put under the biggest stresses (which is the games) so if you have glut of ankle injuries that happen in games it doesn't always mean it was unavoidable there could be something that is being done too much or too little to leave ankles weak for example

Like i say for me if we have another year with a huge injury list then there is defiantly something amiss in the way that we are looking after our players bodies in general
Its a fair post as always WF but for me every single team has injury issues in RL, its the nature of the sport. Yes we have had more than most the past couple of years and again I put that down to bad luck rather than an inept medical team.

Basically what I am saying is if every other team had the odd injury issue and we had loads then yes I would question things a little more, but all teams have a fair share of injuries and no doubt that will continue this season and is that down to their training methods as well or just bad luck in games? I just think bad luck means we have had a few more than others.
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Wigan_forever1985

I agree TBW that all teams are going to have injuries and periods of the season in which the injury list is longer, i think weve tipped the balance into "crisis" two seasons in a row now. I know leeds and saints have had crisis seasons in recent years but coming through it and being back to normal the following season (a regular amount of injuries)

I think the sport in general has an issue with injuries especially when you consider the youngsters, how many players now are having serious amounts of surgery before the age of 25, player welfare has to come into it and its another reason the cap needs looking at, we need more money in the sport because too many of the young lads coming through now will be in a very poor state by their early 30's and when you consider people are living longer and longer we need to make sure that these players are compensated enough for the wellbeing they give up to play our sport