Next Wigan coach?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Next Wigan coach?

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

medlocke wrote:
keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote:Going to throw my hat in ring next wigan coach Adrian lam
When was the last time he coached?
Currently Mal Meninga’s assistant with the Australian Test team.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

cherry.pie wrote:I've noticed that Anthony Seibold seems to be doing a good job at the Rabbitohs following on from Michael Maguire. I'm pretty sure he started out coaching South Wales Scorpions before moving back to Australia coaching lower grades and working his way up the pecking order.
It just goes to show that there can be some decent coaches knocking about even in the lower leagues in this country and it's not always the big names that go on to be the best coaches.

Calls for people like Shaun Edwards (no RL coaching experience), legends from the past with little coaching experience or even current players with little coaching experience (Lockers, Tommy etc) always puzzle me. I get it, sometimes you want big names - sometimes the idea of a club legend returning to be coach is the stuff of fairytales but you only have to look at what happened with Saints and Kieron Cunningham to see how that can go wrong.

Our most successful recent coaches have been Wane (Wiganer through and through but never a great player) and Michael Maguire (no ties to Wigan previously but had worked under some good coaches).

Names like Edwards and Farrell will please plenty of fans but they just seem like a completely unnecessary and almost certainly expensive risk.

Having said that, John Winder might have experience as an assistant coach but as far as I'm aware he has no real professional experience as a player so I think should probably rule him out. Maybe it doesn't matter and it's all about coaching but I can't help but think that to some extent it's harder for a player to have faith in what a head coach is saying if they've never experienced what it's like to be a player in those situations. If Winder wants a head coach role I think starting at a League One or Championship side a building a reputation as a head coach makes more sense than being thrown into the biggest job in rugby league.

At the moment Edwards is still favourite and Bennett second favourite. But with Edwards seeming like a massive risk and Bennett having previously said he won't coach in England I think the likes of Lam, Furner and Deacon will be targeted.
Do you not think that this may be an advantage though?. I get where you are coming from about harder to get buy in from players but at the same time one of the problems with "legend" players for me is they tend to try to recreate both the style of play their team had when they played and tend to play the team like they played. They also tend to buy/create players who remind them of themselves for "their" position. Someone who has no ties to a position may be able to provide a more objective look at both team and tactics
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I feel like the amount of change in personnel is ruling out Winder here - it would a big ask anyway for him to take the mantle from Wane but to do it with a squad that needs rebuilding would be unfair

this now needs a steady experienced hand IMO
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
medlocke wrote:
keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote:Going to throw my hat in ring next wigan coach Adrian lam
When was the last time he coached?
Currently Mal Meninga’s assistant with the Australian Test team.
Did not know that, Wiki had it down as 2012, must be good enough if he's assistant Aussie coach, He'd be a popular choice seeing as he was a fans favourite back in the day
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Assistant coach to the Kangaroos must be such a part-time that even George Osborne would be able to squeeze it into his packed schedule...
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Somebody saying Mal Meninga, would fans be happy with an ex Saints great?, It wouldn't bother me one iota, It's a long shot but if he's good enough for Aussie National squad then he'll be good enough for me
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

medlocke wrote:Somebody saying Mal Meninga, would fans be happy with an ex Saints great?, It wouldn't bother me one iota, It's a long shot but if he's good enough for Aussie National squad then he'll be good enough for me
Ok by me.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Just watched it, interesting to see that all of Bennetts recommendations to replace him have all ended in disaster, maybe Shaun Wayne should take notice, also watched a clip after it saying Corey Norman is being touted around after a breach in contract, he is a half back but is he any good, would he be a fit here?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

medlocke wrote:Somebody saying Mal Meninga, would fans be happy with an ex Saints great?, It wouldn't bother me one iota, It's a long shot but if he's good enough for Aussie National squad then he'll be good enough for me
Agreed big anal knows how to play and win couldn’t give a toss who he played for tbh,if he or someone like him is the best man so be it