New coaches

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: New coaches

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

East Stand Faithful wrote:So presumably Lam will get experience of a head coach role and then look for another coaching role in 2020.

What happens if we win the lot next year?
He will get a gig in the NRL.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Now what we need is for the leeds homophobe's deal to fall through and us to persuade Slater that he can do a couple of seasons in SL, and that would the the icing on the cake!

I just hope Toronto get promoted so i get a few more local games.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
shaunedwardsfanclub

Mike wrote:Sounds good to me. And Lam's been around for a few weeks so is probably involved in recruitment and retention for next year in good time.
So as Giz.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Wigan Watcher wrote:What a terrible decision this is!

There are a lot of good understudies around the world and we pick one who has not been in our sport for many years. Not only is that a bad move but they put a potentially good coach in LAM in for 1 year. I have read on here and agree what happens if LAM does really well? What happens then when they bring in this fresh coach to OUR game of rugby league who has no proven record in our game into the mix, how is that going to pan out?

For crying out loud what are we doing?
It suits Lam or he wouldn't be coming.
shaunedwardsfanclub

DaveO wrote:
Caboosegg wrote:What a Joke for Lam unless he has had a say in it sound likes a massive slap in the face.
Such as slap in the face Lam agreed to it! Why on earth would he agree to this if he was not OK with it? I hope your not suggesting it has come as a complete surprise to Lam he's only here for a year :lol:
Edward may be part of the golden age but we have basically given a head coach job to someone with no coaching experience in rugby league. Someone will no doubt say its what we need and it will be refreshing but for one moment just remember he is Wales defence coach!!!! Not attacking coach.
He had no RU coaching experience before he got the coaching job there either. That worked OK. On the other hand since IL took over we have had two coaches who despite being steeped in decades of RL both lost the plot. Noble won nothing in four years and served up some dour rugby and the further away from Madges coat tails Wane has got, he seems to be on a mission to out-dour Noble. RL experience has not prevented either of them being poor.
He is not only a student of RL and RU but sport in general. If there is an extra 1% to be found then Giz will find it. I guarantee he has watched every recording of Wigan this season as well as assessing the players we have just signed. He will leave no stone unturned. You don't get as successful as he is/has been by luck.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Caboosegg wrote:What a Joke for Lam unless he has had a say in it sound likes a massive slap in the face.
Such as slap in the face Lam agreed to it! Why on earth would he agree to this if he was not OK with it? I hope your not suggesting it has come as a complete surprise to Lam he's only here for a year :lol:
Edward may be part of the golden age but we have basically given a head coach job to someone with no coaching experience in rugby league. Someone will no doubt say its what we need and it will be refreshing but for one moment just remember he is Wales defence coach!!!! Not attacking coach.
He had no RU coaching experience before he got the coaching job there either. That worked OK. On the other hand since IL took over we have had two coaches who despite being steeped in decades of RL both lost the plot. Noble won nothing in four years and served up some dour rugby and the further away from Madges coat tails Wane has got, he seems to be on a mission to out-dour Noble. RL experience has not prevented either of them being poor.
He is not only a student of RL and RU but sport in general. If there is an extra 1% to be found then Giz will find it. I guarantee he has watched every recording of Wigan this season as well as assessing the players we have just signed. He will leave no stone unturned. You don't get as successful as he is/has been by luck.
Well I genuinely hope you are right.

I think it's a huge gamble, but hey, better than a dull as ditchwater appointment, of that there is no doubt.
shaunedwardsfanclub

old hooker wrote:
Wigan Watcher wrote:What a terrible decision this is!

There are a lot of good understudies around the world and we pick one who has not been in our sport for many years. Not only is that a bad move but they put a potentially good coach in LAM in for 1 year. I have read on here and agree what happens if LAM does really well? What happens then when they bring in this fresh coach to OUR game of rugby league who has no proven record in our game into the mix, how is that going to pan out?

For crying out loud what are we doing?
Spot on,it just does not make sense
Why?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wintergreen wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
DaveO wrote: Such as slap in the face Lam agreed to it! Why on earth would he agree to this if he was not OK with it? I hope your not suggesting it has come as a complete surprise to Lam he's only here for a year :lol:
Well I genuinely hope you are right.

I think it's a huge gamble, but hey, better than a dull as ditchwater appointment, of that there is no doubt.
I think you're right its a huge gamble, one everyone buoyed on the announcement are sure is going to be a success,im more cautious in my view I hope it works outs really do but I certainly, given the rebuilding job thats in front of Lam,think its a tough ask for an experienced head coach.

But as ever I wait to be pleasantly surprised by how it all turns out.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote: He is not only a student of RL and RU but sport in general. If there is an extra 1% to be found then Giz will find it. I guarantee he has watched every recording of Wigan this season as well as assessing the players we have just signed. He will leave no stone unturned. You don't get as successful as he is/has been by luck.
Totally agree. So pleased by the fact he will coach us in 2020 but credit also due to the club for making it possible by finding an ambitious coach in Lam who will keep the seat warm for a year. Without this due to Edwards RU commitments then we'd have to find an alternative and the opportunity may never have arisen again to have Edwards as coach.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

cherry.pie wrote:The only way I can see this having come about is if Wigan approached Edwards and were told he was only available for 2020, so then went looking for someone who was willing to take the role for a year. Presumably there wouldn't be as many people interested in a one year role but for Lam it might make sense. He's been in the NRL for several years but hasn't got a head coach role, so if that's his goal then a short spell in Super League could be just what he needs to get himself considered. If he doesn't want to live in the UK long term then one year to build his reputation is surely ideal.
Please stop with all the common sense as it’s making other posters look a little silly with some nonsense they are spouting!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett