Wigan squad for Warrington

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: Wigan squad for Warrington

Post by fozzieskem »

Warrington abysmal wigan pretty good,are we finally starting to see tge Smith of his academy days showing through let's hope so,happy with the win but very different side awaits wigan next week
endoman

Post by endoman »

Thornley will help solve our centre problem if he stays healthy. Damaging tonight.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Not sure where I'd put this team right now, the buzz could be a decent team motivated to go close (82/83, 83/84) or a talented team building to a great team (84/85). Either way we are being entertained.
Last edited by widdenoldboy on Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

endoman wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:30 pm Thornley will help solve our centre problem if he stays healthy. Damaging tonight.
He was,best game since his return
endoman

Post by endoman »

Looking forward to Elland Road, happy memories of our revival there in the 80's with a certain BBC RL commentator. A decent centre in his day was Mr Woods.
Wigan_ITK

Post by Wigan_ITK »

starting to see tge Smith of his academy days showing through let's hope so
It certainly seems that way. Briers is definitely having an impact and it’s no coincidence that Peet was the coach when he shone in the academy.

Long may it continue
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I said before the match Warrington are a beatable team and they are but that was a very good performance by us a few times defending multiple sets

O’Neil makes such a difference to our go forward notice how we now don’t struggle to get out our 20 - we are so much quicker at the ruck

Smith is much improved too and looking like the real deal - thornley had a good game

No one really had a bad game if we play like that we can beat saints

We did ship some easy points especially at the end but I think we we’re winding down tbh
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:18 am I said before the match Warrington are a beatable team and they are but that was a very good performance by us a few times defending multiple sets

O’Neil makes such a difference to our go forward notice how we now don’t struggle to get out our 20 - we are so much quicker at the ruck

Smith is much improved too and looking like the real deal -
thornley had a good game

No one really had a bad game if we play like that we can beat saints

We did ship some easy points especially at the end but I think we we’re winding down tbh
Kicked 18 from 19 goals from 3 matches
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

While that Warrington side was nowhere near as good as it once was it's always good to get a convincing victory over them. Their defence was a shambles at times but you can only beat what's in front of you. Toby King just seemed to have no clue what he was doing. Maybe he was constantly expecting Thornley to be a decoy but the one thing you can't do is ignore the one man that's supposed to be yours. Good to see him getting on the scoresheet. I wasn't enthused about Thornley signing but it could prove to be some decent business.

Our forwards outmuscled theirs in a complete 180 from recent times. Usually we come into these games with a small pack against a big Wire side and struggle to cope, but this time we had more size and just better players down the middle.

Havard was my pick of the props, followed by Ellis. Mago also got in a good stint while we're dominant. As I said in a previous thread, at the moment Mago is an impact player, he could be even more than but with our pack of workhorses he's a decent addition. It will be interesting to see how he goes against Saints because I think against tougher defences he needs to get a couple of hard and straight runs in before trying to play his usual game. Singleton and Byrne did well too.

I think think the last couple of games have shown that Farrell, Bateman and Smithies make up our best back row and we should probably stick with it now until KPP returns and can hopefully force himself back into the mix.

The Smith and Cust partnership is really starting to gel. It's great to see Smith putting in back to back performances at a high level. When we play Saints he may struggle up against the best defence but it's about constantly improving until he finds that level of consistency where he's regularly having a big impact in games.

O'Neill has also taken his chance well. One or two noticeable mistakes in defence but you can expect that with young players. He's doing well considering his inexperience. It was good to see him do 80 minutes and he finished the game as our top tackler, so he's got a good engine. I do think, similar to Powell, he needs to get himself out of dummy half a bit more and engage the defensive line. He has a similar pick and pass style but a bit quicker. He made a couple of very effective carries last night although none were from dummy half. I think there's a lot more to come from him and it's great that he's getting his chance.

Defensively we conceded some soft tries which is disappointing. At the moment I think we're pretty solidly in that 2nd and 3rd battle with Catalans with both teams well off the pace with Saints. Catalans look a little stronger at their best but more likely to slip up. I think we're a little more consistent than Catalans but defensively we're well off what's required to win a Grand Final.
Brennox7

Post by Brennox7 »

endoman wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:53 pm Looking forward to Elland Road, happy memories of our revival there in the 80's with a certain BBC RL commentator. A decent centre in his day was Mr Woods.
Hardaker made a big song and dance about playing at elland road 😂