What will Danson do for us?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

Re: What will Danson do for us?

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

EDINBURGH-WARRIOR wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:40 pm There is a potential fixture clash with the Latics if we finish 3rd or 4th in the league.

Quarter final play offs are on September 29/30 and the Latics are at home on the 30th September to Portsmouth. I could be wrong and if not I'm sure it will be sorted out amicably.

EW
By amicably, we now mean Danson talks to Danson.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:07 pm I didn’t want to clog up the thread by quoting DaveO’s latest post, but looking at companies house makes absolutely no difference to the point I am making: Wigan Warriors’ owner owns the ground. We - via our owner - own our own ground. There is nothing that prevents Wigan Warriors doing whatever it wants with the ground in the sense that we all understand it - if our owner decides to do something he can do it without anyone else’s permission.

The shareholdings within the group are entirely irrelevant.
They really aren't. There are all sort of financial, tax and legal requirements around this stuff. You can't just transfer assets all over the place straight away, it takes time and there are hoops to jump through, and considerations for Danson to make in how he wants all this structured.

However, the corporate structure and ultimate ownership stake is perhaps separate from what you are getting at - its more the day-today operations. That is entirely possible to modify and quickly (subject to existing contracts etc). Access to the ground, rules on gamedays, office space, staff culture etc. All easy to change and independent of which organisation actually "owns" the stadium as they are all controlled by one group.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

DaveO wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:19 pm

We should get 1.5 for facilities, 0.125 for having LED advertising lights, 0.125 for having a big screen. So 1.75.
LED adverts. Jeez, these are already on the way out and being replaced with virtual broadcaster ads these days. Talk about behind the curve...
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

doc wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:42 pm I'm sure one of the points on the IMG scoring was also for having primacy of fixtures at shared grounds.

Both teams can't have primacy of fixtures.
Correct. You get 0.25 points for primacy of tenure in the IMG criteria. The Stadium Criteria add up to 3 points and Wigan will lose out on primacy of tenure and utilisation.

We should get 1.5 for facilities, 0.125 for having LED advertising lights, 0.125 for having a big screen. So 1.75.

How much we get for utilisation is "average crowd / capacity of ground" and as crowd sizes for the calculation are actually based on actual attendees as opposed to season ticket holders + actual attendees it is going to be less than 0.5 (1 is the maximum obviously).

So we will lose points for not having primacy of tenure (0.25) and at least 0.5 for utilisation based on our average crowds.
On a different tack but regarding IMG Wigan and Leigh share the borough if I'm reading right so more points lost there (not that it makes a shred of difference)but annoying nonetheless
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:24 am
doc wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:42 pm I'm sure one of the points on the IMG scoring was also for having primacy of fixtures at shared grounds.

Both teams can't have primacy of fixtures.
Correct. You get 0.25 points for primacy of tenure in the IMG criteria. The Stadium Criteria add up to 3 points and Wigan will lose out on primacy of tenure and utilisation.

How much we get for utilisation is "average crowd / capacity of ground" and as crowd sizes for the calculation are actually based on actual attendees as opposed to season ticket holders + actual attendees it is going to be less than 0.5 (1 is the maximum obviously).

So we will lose points for not having primacy of tenure (0.25) and at least 0.5 for utilisation based on our average crowds.
On a different tack but regarding IMG Wigan and Leigh share the borough if I'm reading right so more points lost there (not that it makes a shred of difference)but annoying nonetheless
Yes that is also true. It's based on population the census in 2021 which for Wigan Borough was 329,300 and it is divided by the number of Tier 1 & Tier 2 clubs in the borough so that gives 164,650. That means we would get 1 point instead of 1.5 (the result would have to be greater than 260k to get the full 1.5 points).

So I reckon we are always going to start with only being able to get a maximum of 18.75 points (and if average crowds are less than half the ground capacity it will be less than that) . So everything else including performance has to be bang on to ensure we are classed as a top tier club.