wigan warriors up for sale

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
ste lord

Re: wigan warriors up for ...

Post by ste lord »

The only way they would ever match up is if the latics ones where £5 per season and where BOGOF.

:lol: :lol:

Keep Wigan "Wigan"

thegimble

Post by thegimble »

This is a way i look at it.

In the prem next season the standards will be higher than now as Sunderland and Birmingham are stronger than the sides relegated.

DW will have to spen millions to strengthen the squad and there are no gurantees any quality player will want to go there. therefore apart from the 1 side who is promoted in the play off the Latics will be favourites to go down.

Difference is we get quality players in now like Lu Lu, Filden and Barett are class players. Latics get Heskey. And thats why Latics will struggle they can not get quality players in as they do not want to play for them.

Oh well they are not like us then second rate in a ivery hyped game.

Wonder when the Ryles signing will be confirmed. And when a journey man like Heskey wil be announced for the Latics at the cost of millions.
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

Markus35 posted:
'You're only one of many who've been and gone on these boards, trying to drum up support for the football club and (in some cases) turning nasty when there's none forthcoming'

I do goto Rugby games,and would love to see the Warriors get to Wembley this year.

There are a thousand people in Wigan,with season tickets for both codes,not everyone is blinkered one way or the other.

I was answering your point about the attraction of following teams like Wigan/Bolton.I know Dave is reducing season tickets for football to a more realistic level this year,it wouldnt surprise me if our season ticket sales in the summer matched the Warriors average attendence.
You say you support the rugby, but other comments are a bit of a give-away:

"It wouldn't surprise me if our season ticket sales in the summer matcher the Warriors average attendance." (It's not 'our' where the Warriors are concerned).

But even if they do match them, my answer would be the same as it has been before. So what? No-one on here really cares.

I understand that Wigan Athletic want more fans to actually come from Wigan to watch them. But among the RL faithful, you aren't going to find many more than those who already go.
Markus35

Post by Markus35 »

Not particularly Cruncher.

I go watching both.

Im not one the 'St Helens cheering Latics fans.'The only reason i dont go to more Warriors games,is the Friday night kickoffs dont suit my work schedule.Lots of Warriors fans do follow football,though its usually ManU or Liverpool.

Im happy the Warriors are turning it around and will certainly be at Wembley if they get there.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Markus35 posted:
Its the global game,and we get to watch our team play the very best players in the world at the JJB.

That's the attraction.
Then its a strange one because what is missing from the above is the chance to actually win something and be competitive which is the aim of all sport. If fans of clubs like Latics are reduced to admiring the opposition players I really don't see the point in that. Surely you want to see them in your side not the opposition?
RL,is a game played in two northern counties and a couple of states in Australia.

I could easily ask you what is the attraction of following a sport with such a limited fanbase/international interest?
FYI RL is the national sport in Australia but why does a sport have to have an international interest to be worth watching? How about American Football? It is only played to a high standard in the USA and I don't see them complaining. Baseball is played in about three countries competitively.

My son rows for his school. Rowing is a minority sport compared to soccer but it is exciting to watch and it is competitive.

There are many reasons why I prefer RL to soccer but that isn't the question. What good is a league where some teams simply don't have a chance to compete?

In RL you do not need tens of millions of pounds to assemble a side capable of challenging for honours. When the franchise system comes in any side that gets one will be on an equal footing with all the others financially. That isn't true in soccer and so leads to the situation where some sides are always going to struggle.

You must know Latics will be one of these sides so if this carries on season after season it defeats the object of having a league if its impossible for some sides to compete. The same applies to other clubs besides Latics so I think the fans of all these clubs have been brainwashed into accepting no chance of outright success just to be part of the circus.

Dave
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Biggest sad point about football is finishing 6the for spme Everton supporters was a successful season. Its now a 3 tier league.

Top 4 will be the same for years
Spurs and Bolton of this world fighting for UEFA cup
Latics and Fulham"s of the wiorld having a relegation scrap>

thats the real premiership a non competative leageu> at least in sl in the last !) yeras quarter of the side have won the GF Only # have won the premiership out of at least 22.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I disagree with Markus mentioning 'teams like Wigan/Bolton'... whats wrong with Bolton challenging for nothing? surely getting into Europe is an achievemnt - they may not win the UEFA cup next season but it all builds up over years and within a decade Bolton may be in the top 4... who knows?
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Lazy J

Post by Lazy J »

The only way teams like Bolton can dream of challenging for the prem title is if they find diamond encrusted oil in horwich!

as someone else stated there are 3 divisions in prem league latics are in the bottom of the 3 divisions
There are 10 types of people, those who get binary and those who dont!
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

ancientnloyal posted:
I disagree with Markus mentioning 'teams like Wigan/Bolton'... whats wrong with Bolton challenging for nothing? surely getting into Europe is an achievemnt - they may not win the UEFA cup next season but it all builds up over years and within a decade Bolton may be in the top 4... who knows?
To get in the top 4 you need mega money and apart from the top 4 none have.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Teams like Newcastle and Aston Villa have the potential to get into the top 4. In the case of Villa they have had one year with their new rich owners and O'Neill and may take a further 2 years to get where Tottenham/ Everton are.

Money rules... even though Arsenal are in debt they are almost certain to finish in the top 4 with Wenger on board. Chelsea, Utd and Liverpool are obvious top 4 teams also.

It's the middle 10 teams, the likes of Everton, Newcastle, Spurs and Bolton that really need to continue growing internally with fans and experience in europe to get it back to a 2-tier league: top and bottom.

Good thing about SL is the unexpectedness and 'equal' playing field in terms of salary. But club history and size of club attractt big players... Barrett ever go to KR or Wakefield?
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame