Matty Bowen

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: Matty Bowen

Post by cpwigan »

Does anybody still think Sam T is staying :sly:
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Warriors chase Bowen signature

Wigan are expected to step up their bid to sign Australian full-back Matt Bowen following confirmation that he is to leave North Queensland Cowboys.

The 31-year-old has confirmed this season will be his last in the NRL after the Cowboys declined to offer him a new contract.

Bowen, who has been troubled by a knee injury this year, is thought to be currently in negotiations with Wigan, who are looking for a replacement for NRL-bound Sam Tomkins, but may take up an off-field role with the Cowboys if he is unable to secure a playing contract for 2014.

Bowen has played 267 games for the Cowboys since making his NRL debut in 2001, scoring a club-record 127 tries in the top grade.

The full-back also played one Test for Australia and made 10 appearances for Queensland.

"It was hard getting told I'm not going to be here next year, but it's a good thing," Bowen said. "I was lucky enough to play 13 years here at the club.

"I've had a couple of offers from overseas and I'm just weighing up my decision now, whether I take that up or start working here.

"I've got a couple of days to work that out and come to terms so we'll see what happens over the next couple of days.

"I love the Cowboys, I've been here since 2001 and I always wanted to be a one-club player so I'm not going to play for any other NRL club."

Cowboys chief executive Peter Jourdain says the popular full-back will be given a fitting send-off in the club's final home game against Wests Tigers on Saturday week and confirmed Bowen has been offered an off-field role with the club.

"There is no-one in the NRL who is more loved by a club's members and fans than Matthew with the Cowboys," Jourdain said.

"We have all been lucky to be able to enjoy his talents over such a long period of time and I'm sure everyone connected with the Cowboys wishes him well with the rest of this season and whatever he chooses to do beyond 2013.

"In conjunction with the NRL, we have offered him two off-field positions which will be there when he is ready to take it up."

Wigan are resigned to losing Tomkins, who is thought to have lined up a three-year deal with New Zealand Warriors, and initially sounded out former Kangaroos full-back Anthony Minichiello but without success.

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugby-leagu ... 8896613/-?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

The only reason he was told he wasn't staying was because the Cowboy's medics decided his knees were not up to it.

He's a club legend there and if there was anyway he was up to playing on with them he would be.

If we do sign him our medics will be disagreeing with theirs and that is a huge call.

I have watched numerous clips of him since the rumour surfaced and there is no doubt he was a class player in his prime but if we are after him I think it is pretty sad our club, that has a tradition of signing and producing the best players, is reduced to taking a gamble on a player deemed too crocked to continue at his current club.

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

cpwigan wrote:Does anybody still think Sam T is staying :sly:
I still think there is an outside chance.

Wasn't there meant to be an announcement after the CCF?
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Kittwazzer wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Does anybody still think Sam T is staying :sly:
I still think there is an outside chance.

Wasn't there meant to be an announcement after the CCF?
Maybe the deal can only be concluded if Wigan sign a suitable replacement. Wellens may be available and I don't think that he has got dodgy knees! I would much prefer Makinson though.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

Fantastic player in his younger fitter days.But. And it is a big but.Why would we be considering bringing in a player who NQ Cowboys consider to be a liability and have offered him a role within the club other than that as a player.I think that tells it's own story.If he was maybe another couple of years younger and did not have dodgy knees then that would be another matter.We need to be bringing in players that can offer us more than a possible season and then retirement because he's not up to it.I'm not a fan of Tom Briscoe who I consider to be weak under the high ball but would far sooner him with age on his side.Whilst I agree that some players of his experience could bring something to our youngsters coming through the ranks it is not always the case.And here's someone I would consider before M.Bowen Hodgson who is leaving warrington though it's highly unlikely. :D
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Bowen was brilliant for the Cowboys yesterday.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Wigan Observer todays says Wigan are close to signing Bowen

One wonders why we need to sign a FB with Sam in our ranks :wink:
captinjack

Post by captinjack »

No straw damn us wrote:Bowen was brilliant for the Cowboys yesterday.
He may have been good in one game, but how is going to be over a season, will his kness hold up? Will it be a case of play a couple, miss alot or retire halfway through the season due to his knees giving out.

Give Hampshire his head, Sam was given his and look what a great player he turned out to be. Sam was a SO, but converted to FB. why not Hampshire?

Why take a risk on Bowen who has a well documented injury problem, when we have our home grown talent. :eusa17:
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

captinjack wrote:
No straw damn us wrote:Bowen was brilliant for the Cowboys yesterday.
He may have been good in one game, but how is going to be over a season, will his kness hold up? Will it be a case of play a couple, miss alot or retire halfway through the season due to his knees giving out.

Give Hampshire his head, Sam was given his and look what a great player he turned out to be. Sam was a SO, but converted to FB. why not Hampshire?

Why take a risk on Bowen who has a well documented injury problem, when we have our home grown talent. :eusa17:
Ryan 'Rocky' Hampshire is a stand off, that is his true position & one which he excels in, he would be wasted at FB IMO
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan