Salford vs Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Panchitta Marra

Re: Salford vs Wigan

Post by Panchitta Marra »

cpwigan wrote:
Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:Harris being sacked has got to gain strength when he says this after the match
Salford coach Iestyn Harris:
"I thought defensively we had a real dig. It was a real physical game.
"I didn't think there was a whole lot between the two teams. I just thought they had too much pace for us on the end if I'm honest.
"We could have been a little bit more clinical at times, but I thought it was a big improvement from us defensively because they are a very good side.
"We've made some big improvements. The biggest concern for me was the defensive system and I think we're looking a lot more solid."
I'm sorry but no matter how good our kids are Salford should of had us tonight esp after losing mm
Not really. No matter how young our players are, they are entering a successful culture and a very stable environment. I like many expected a great deal from Salford pre season but it did not happen due to not recruiting any speed in he outside backs (bar Johnson who is injured) and wasting a lavish re season 'holiday' under a coach who is better at TV now. Salford is unstable with Harris have to deconstruct and build a game plan mid season. The successive defeats drains confidence. However, Salford had a dig and they did defend well but that slowness on the outsides kills them.

IIRC Smith and Powell are part of our leadership group and Williams and Rocky are leaders for their age group. If we can turn Leeds over then why not Salford despite two changes.
The salford team desperately lacked pace especially out wide and they will struggle unless they address that issue.
Budgies 2nd try highlighted how far they are behind in that department, plus shoving H out wide to defend the line when he was out on his feet was shocking.
How long will Harris last ?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Unfortunately PM putting back rowers in the back line is a modern trend / fad. One Wigan use as do almost all clubs. I do think it offers an opportunity to attack those forwards defending as shown v Salford. If a team was comfortable in the lead I would not be averse to seeing a chip and chase ploy as the forwards defending presumes the attacking team will simply 'take the tackle'.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
cpwigan wrote:A successful RL club in Manchester (Salford) is vital for everybody in RL just as London is.

The Dr is the type of vocal person you need in a city when competing for attention with 2 of the biggest football clubs in the world.
Judging by the way that Salford are no better off on the playing side than before his purchase of the club, it would appear that not many in Salford are listening to Dr KouCash
The Dr did raise interest early doors but the results after an early few wins screwed everything up. Signing experienced ready made players to hit the ground running is a well worn path. Wigan did so in the early 80's.

The problem Salford have / had was their junior development is not good enough to start to bring through young players (the best schoolboy from Salford is at Wigan) and even then Noble shunned some relatively young players for reason best know to him such as Sneyd. The one element of bad luck was the Chase early season absence.

The let down was Noble who wrote off last season supposedly to build for this season and yet again was found wanting. The Dr IMO cannot be blamed he backed the club heavily / promoted the club but was let down by Noble.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

The one element of bad luck was the Chase early season absence.

Not the way that Chase played on Thursday it wasn't. I've always thought he was another of those players who looks brilliant against poor opposition but goes missing against good opponents and in big matches.

See also Danny McGuire
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Southern Softy wrote:
The one element of bad luck was the Chase early season absence.

Not the way that Chase played on Thursday it wasn't. I've always thought he was another of those players who looks brilliant against poor opposition but goes missing against good opponents and in big matches.
Castleford certainly seem to be coping without him. Ironically with a player on loan from Salford who I believe intends to fight extradition!
TedMac

Post by TedMac »

Watching a drab Noble-led Wigan playing passionless rugby a few years ago, I dreamt of a real Wigan. It would be a team of mainly home-grown lads, led by a tough, ambitious Wigan coach whose mantra would be bringing on the many fantastic academy youngsters Noble basically ignored.

What Wane's done is more than that - much more. He wants to take RL to a new level and he won't stop till he gets there. He's fired up our injury-wracked mixture of teenagers and regular men so much that you can feel the confidence and excitement surging through them. Matty, George W, Budgie, Rocky, the mighty Micky Mac, Bateman, Sarginson and the rest must be counting the hours till they can get back on the pitch and do it all again. You can bet your life that when Flower, Faz, Lockers, Clubb & Co come back they'll be fired up to the same level.

Haven't enjoyed watching Wigan as much as this for a long, long time. Only 129 hours till we kick off again!!!

Ted Mac
phild1

Post by phild1 »

TedMac wrote:Watching a drab Noble-led Wigan playing passionless rugby a few years ago, I dreamt of a real Wigan. It would be a team of mainly home-grown lads, led by a tough, ambitious Wigan coach whose mantra would be bringing on the many fantastic academy youngsters Noble basically ignored.

What Wane's done is more than that - much more. He wants to take RL to a new level and he won't stop till he gets there. He's fired up our injury-wracked mixture of teenagers and regular men so much that you can feel the confidence and excitement surging through them. Matty, George W, Budgie, Rocky, the mighty Micky Mac, Bateman, Sarginson and the rest must be counting the hours till they can get back on the pitch and do it all again. You can bet your life that when Flower, Faz, Lockers, Clubb & Co come back they'll be fired up to the same level.

Haven't enjoyed watching Wigan as much as this for a long, long time. Only 129 hours till we kick off again!!!
== phild1 is this the same Brian noble Wigan begged to get the team out of trouble and prevent them from going down; I think he achieved that. Just another coach casualty :D
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

phild1 wrote:
TedMac wrote:Watching a drab Noble-led Wigan playing passionless rugby a few years ago, I dreamt of a real Wigan. It would be a team of mainly home-grown lads, led by a tough, ambitious Wigan coach whose mantra would be bringing on the many fantastic academy youngsters Noble basically ignored.

== phild1 is this the same Brian noble Wigan begged to get the team out of trouble and prevent them from going down; I think he achieved that. Just another coach casualty :D
Some have short memories about what Noble did for Wigan as some of the present first team squad were signed as youngsters during the time he was Head Coach and Wane was in charge of the Academy!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
phild1 wrote:

Some have short memories about what Noble did for Wigan as some of the present first team squad were signed as youngsters during the time he was Head Coach and Wane was in charge of the Academy!
:lol: Lordy Lordy

Noble was great in the immediate term restoring the confidence of players who were abused / rubbished by Millward.

Medium to long term Noble never moved Wigan forward. Everything instigated was dated and the intensity / professionalism created was virtually none existent. IL retained Noble for various reasons, one was to run down his contract and avoid huge payments for the sack.

Noble and Youth are totally at odds. He always wants ready made players and still does as shown by Salford.

TV pundit fine; coach ended several seasons ago.
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

cpwigan wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:
phild1 wrote:== phild1 is this the same Brian noble Wigan begged to get the team out of trouble and prevent them from going down; I think he achieved that. Just another coach casualty :D
:lol: Lordy Lordy

Noble was great in the immediate term restoring the confidence of players who were abused / rubbished by Millward.

Medium to long term Noble never moved Wigan forward. Everything instigated was dated and the intensity / professionalism created was virtually none existent. IL retained Noble for various reasons, one was to run down his contract and avoid huge payments for the sack.

Noble and Youth are totally at odds. He always wants ready made players and still does as shown by Salford.

TV pundit fine; coach ended several seasons ago.
Well said, I cant believe that people have this rose tinted view of Noble. Noble nearly ruined the career of several Wigan youngsters when he was in charge. Players such as Goulding, J Tomkins and Mossop, who has been scathing in the press with his comments about Noble, were often made scapegoats and dropped without reason while older players, and at that worse players, got away scot free.