Wigan versus Castleford

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Wigan versus Castleford

Post by josie andrews »

I have to commend Shaun Wane on how he reacts about other teams players & coaches.

Win or lose, he always praises the opposition.

Unlike the majority of the coaches in SL who have nothing good to say about other teams & have no dignity in defeat!

Sour grapes IMO :exc:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
josie andrews wrote:Daryl Powell fumed with the performance of Ben Thaler following Castleford’s defeat to Wigan.

The Tigers’ winning streak came to an end as they went down 33-26 to the Warriors at The Mend-A-Hose Jungle, with Josh Charnley’s two tries helping Wigan move joint top in Super League.

Powell was particularly aggrieved with Thaler’s decision to sin-bin Jake Webster on half-time after the centre complained at the decision not to award a penalty for offside.

Dom Manfredi scored in the ten minutes Webster was off the field, and Powell said: “It was the way the whole night went, a referee losing his cool completely and that’s unacceptable.

“He got dropped after he refereed us in Catalans and, if I drop a player as many times as referees get dropped, I’d probably be getting rid him at the end of the year.

“There was some unacceptable stuff. I’ll get fined for this but respect works both ways and players need respect in the way you speak to them.”

http://www.totalrl.com/powell-attack-thaler/
Daryl, the ref got the decision right at the end of the first half so Webster was completely wrong to complain!
He should be ashamed with his outburst on Ben Thaler, I thought he was fair to both teams & in saying that Wigan were better at slowing the game down than they were!

He is a bitter Yorkshireman, like they all are!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
SJ

Post by SJ »

You'd be bitter too if you're hose needed mending Josie :
Perhaps not :cool:
In a past post I said this game could be our bench mark. PM said our CC game would be the benchmark. I think he's correct so I'll content myself by regarding this game has a "watershed. Well done the Warriors
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

MB wrote:Matty Smith must be over the moon to have Sam Tomkins and George Williams back.

For the first half of the season he has carried the team around the park whilst being the sole target whenever Wigan went to kick which would put anyone under pressure.

Although not his finest half of a season for Wigan being under that much pressure from teams he has done really well.
Give over. When we had injuries in the first half of the season Smith failed to step up to the plate as a senior player should and was rightly criticised.

Sam T and Williams being out exposed Smith as what he is, average.
Now they are in the side and the team looks better it's obvious they have improved matters.

What happens if Sam or Williams are injured again? There will still be a full back and a 6 on the pitch with him.

Is he not capable of stepping up when the team requires it? I think the answer is obviously not.

That was a very good win at Cas given their form and I don't care if Powell is upset about it but it's obvious Sam adds a great deal to the side. Smith on the other hand :doz:
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

josie andrews wrote:I have to commend Shaun Wane on how he reacts about other teams players & coaches.

Win or lose, he always praises the opposition.

Unlike the majority of the coaches in SL who have nothing good to say about other teams & have no dignity in defeat!

Sour grapes IMO :exc:
Exactly Josie. SW has more class. Never hear him slag off the officials either!
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

DaveO wrote:
MB wrote:Matty Smith must be over the moon to have Sam Tomkins and George Williams back.

For the first half of the season he has carried the team around the park whilst being the sole target whenever Wigan went to kick which would put anyone under pressure.

Although not his finest half of a season for Wigan being under that much pressure from teams he has done really well.
Give over. When we had injuries in the first half of the season Smith failed to step up to the plate as a senior player should and was rightly criticised.

Now they are in the side and the team looks better it's obvious they have improved matters.

What happens if Sam or Williams are injured again? There will still be a full back and a 6 on the pitch with him.

Is he not capable of stepping up when the team requires it? I think the answer is obviously not.

That was a very good win at Cas given their form and I don't care if Powell is upset about it but it's obvious Sam adds a great deal to the side. Smith on the other hand :doz:
He got Man of Match Dave!
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

josie andrews wrote:
The Yorkshire press in their interview with Powell inferred that Wigan were slowing the game down! Powell agreed & complained bitterly about the referee being biased towards Wigan!!
So all that lot on Redvee have been right all along. Glad we've got that cleared up about bias etc.
Maybe it's because of comments like this that attracts them so much to him that, generally, they're crying out for him as KFC's replacement.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Bill, they're crying out for ANYONE to replace KFC'!????
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

josie andrews wrote:In an interview with Wigan TV, Shaun Wane says he went to shake hands with Daryl Powell, & he moreorless says they, Castleford, weren't very happy & that Powell didn't because he was disappointed!!

The Yorkshire press in their interview with Powell inferred that Wigan were slowing the game down! Powell agreed & complained bitterly about the referee being biased towards Wigan!!
Powell is out of order.

I really rate him as a coach and fair enough if he wasn't upset at a loss I'd be upset if I was a Cas fan with him.

BUT slowing the game down is part of how you deal with the opposition. We haven't done that enough ourselves in the recent past - Wakefield being the obvious case in point. Is Powell saying he wouldn;t coach his side to do that if the game warranted it?

Bad sportsmanship is just that. It's the ref he had issues with, not Wane.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Kittwazzer wrote:
DaveO wrote:

He got Man of Match Dave!
I wasn't commenting about the match but about the notion he'd really been OK for the first half of the season.

Not related to him in particular but I have said on more than one occasion I felt Wane was pinning his hopes on Sam's return. He does already seem to make a big difference so will our season from now on hinge on him remaining fit?

If so we still need to go and find another quality player because if sides work out how to shut Sam down again we are back to square one if Smith goes into his shell again.