Shaun Edwards

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
josie andrews

Re: Shaun Edwards

Post by josie andrews »

moto748 wrote:Shaun Wane

Shaun Edwards

Danny McGuire

Michael Maguire.

How hard is it?
??????????
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

medlocke wrote:
DaveO wrote:
medlocke wrote:Was he really a revelation though or was it the fact we had a good team that just needed a slightly better coach instead of Noble, He was a good coach but he wasn't the messiah as many make out, those same fans that forget he left us at the first chance he got, obviously loyalty wasn't part of his vocabulary
It doesn't matter if Madge was only a slightly better coach or a lot better coach because the effect he had was dramatic. Yes he was a revelation in that the way he got the team playing compared to Noble was like comparing chalk and cheese. The fact he decided to leave after a couple of years doesn't change that. I think Edwards would have an equally dramatic effect on the way the team we have now plays.
You can put that down to new coach syndrome Dave, we see it all the time, he wasn't all that good in his second season, fans often go way over the top when talking about Madge
Madge also won the NRL grand final.
Yeah he’s definitely overrated ????
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

The trouble is its hard to assess Wane because the yard stick to measure him keeps moving

Last year we needed something different this year we dont really, as the standard of the league continues to plummet there are no signs that will change and if you look at who is best placed to spot and bring through youngsters (which in a few years will probably be 60-70% of all teams) Wane is pretty good at just that.

So as the league adjusts it actually plays into Wanes hands

Now if by some miracle something happens where the rot stops on SL and talent starts to flood back in, Wane will be not suited again because his "we will make a new one" only works when the general standard allows for poorer versions of previous players
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I get the impression from what I've read that Madge's methods are very intense/extreme and the style of play limited in terms of flexibility. He seems to be effective for a couple of seasons before the players start to shown the strain and/or other teams suss them out. He did a great job for us and initially at Souths and I wonder how we would have developed if he'd stayed for a couple more seasons. For me, Shaun Edwards would be a dream appointment but every new appointment is a risk. Lockers may one day make a great coach but it's not easy for players to coach those with whom they've played. Perhaps a couple of years as an assistant in Australia would be a sensible start.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Barney841 wrote:
medlocke wrote:
DaveO wrote: It doesn't matter if Madge was only a slightly better coach or a lot better coach because the effect he had was dramatic. Yes he was a revelation in that the way he got the team playing compared to Noble was like comparing chalk and cheese. The fact he decided to leave after a couple of years doesn't change that. I think Edwards would have an equally dramatic effect on the way the team we have now plays.
You can put that down to new coach syndrome Dave, we see it all the time, he wasn't all that good in his second season, fans often go way over the top when talking about Madge
Remind me where he coaches now
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Barney841 wrote:
medlocke wrote:
DaveO wrote: It doesn't matter if Madge was only a slightly better coach or a lot better coach because the effect he had was dramatic. Yes he was a revelation in that the way he got the team playing compared to Noble was like comparing chalk and cheese. The fact he decided to leave after a couple of years doesn't change that. I think Edwards would have an equally dramatic effect on the way the team we have now plays.
But he only won the one! He did what he wanted to do here, SL GF & Challenge Cup then he was off!
I liked Madge but we were a stepping stone IMO
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
4 Generations

Post by 4 Generations »

DaveO wrote:
jobo wrote: Implying that Wane is a "yes man".

You definitely don't know Wane if you think that of him.

As for Sean Edwards, who knows what impact he'd have. Madge was a revelation when he took over but he came after being thoroughly schooled in the NRL. Not sure the same would apply with Edwards.
I think Wane will agree to anything IL wants to keep his job. That is what I meant by yes man. If he's not then why didn't he tell IL and Rads to go and get stuffed when they said we are re-signing Sarge ? If he's not a yes man in the sense I mean then we can't blame IL and Rads for poor signings and we have had quite a few of those.

As to Edwards as I said he is student of the game. He would not come here ignorance or half cocked. If he started tomorrow I'd expect the team to be playing differently pretty quick and one obvious change I think he'd make in about five minutes is to get Powell out of the No 7 slot.
I know everyone has an opinion,But hang on.
Wane will agree to anything to keep his job and hes a Yes Man.
:lol:,its Made my day reading that its so funny.

As for S.Edwards.How can he not make some changes IF we had the good fortune to have him.Whats the point if he didnt. What the changes would be as part of a coaching staff,who knows what they would be.Edwards is what,54 ish now.I remember J,Edwards had him as a student.Well before his birthdays where in double figures.If he doesnt know it now, nearly fifty years on in and around the game,he never will.
Im perhaps one of the only people who likes Powell on here.He is not perfect,he is not the best in Super league,but If Williams deserves some support,time,and encouragement,why can Powell not be treated the same.Marks out of ten and Sam i cant remember ever turning in less than a 7,hes young,bleeds red and white,and ive been glad we have had him on many occasion.
Thats my 2 peneth.Smile on my chops,wayne a Yes Man.....
4G :lol:
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Souths look like a new team now with a different coach. Madge had a couple of decent seasons, that's all.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

josie andrews wrote:
Barney841 wrote:
medlocke wrote:You can put that down to new coach syndrome Dave, we see it all the time, he wasn't all that good in his second season, fans often go way over the top when talking about Madge
But he only won the one! He did what he wanted to do here, SL GF & Challenge Cup then he was off!
I liked Madge but we were a stepping stone IMO
SL is a stepping stone for anyone who is any good be it player or coach. Hudds new coach and Saints coach will be off back if an offer arrives after they have shown what they can do here.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

medlocke wrote:
DaveO wrote:
medlocke wrote:Was he really a revelation though or was it the fact we had a good team that just needed a slightly better coach instead of Noble, He was a good coach but he wasn't the messiah as many make out, those same fans that forget he left us at the first chance he got, obviously loyalty wasn't part of his vocabulary
It doesn't matter if Madge was only a slightly better coach or a lot better coach because the effect he had was dramatic. Yes he was a revelation in that the way he got the team playing compared to Noble was like comparing chalk and cheese. The fact he decided to leave after a couple of years doesn't change that. I think Edwards would have an equally dramatic effect on the way the team we have now plays.
No, you really can't do that. The way the team played was radically different and they were ten times fitter. I don't think I have ever seen a more complete Wigan performance in the modern era than in the GF win. He was here two seasons and won a major trophy in each whereas in the three years prior we never looked like winning anything and didn't. You don't get such a dramatic turnaround down to "new coach syndrome".