Wigan squad for Warrington

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
nathan_rugby

Re: Wigan squad for Warrington

Post by nathan_rugby »

w.thomas wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:14 am Good win that, thought the pack had a good game, especially Mago and Cooper (what a brilliant signing) Singo was good also, he can make good yards so why does he have so many games where he doesn’t? Shorrocks isn’t a 9 and wouldn’t even make it in the 17 for me. Marshall was outstanding as usual as were Bevan and Field. Impressed with KPP as well, tough to handle and made some good offloads. As for Warrington they really look in trouble and if I was a wire fan and had Powell as a coach I’d stop watching them I dislike him that much. Miserable dour sour faced, negative and has no class, unlike Peet never gives credit to the other team and whines how he’s been hard done by. Anyway I digress, good performance onwards and upwards, up the cherry and white.
Singleton looked a different player. We all know he has the ability but often looks like he doesn’t get out of second gear.

Difference last night was hitting the ball at pace and it showed. He made over 100m which he doesn’t do often.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

"Singleton looked a different player. We all know he has the ability but often looks like he doesn’t get out of second gear"

Well timed comment this, fully justified on last night's performance!
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Just watched the game back and bill and Ben said something on commentary..Wigan look like they’re having fun at the end of a game,he’s spot on I’m having fun watching them.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

I thought in the first half we were guilty of playing like we did against Leeds but with fewer errors. We just didn't go down the middle much and our attack was just swinging side to side without really creating the space we needed. One of the issues was not having Farrell and Bateman. Usually when we do go wide those two players pick the right lines and run the right angles to steer us to where we need to be. In the first half I thought KPP and Isa were pretty poor in attack. Maybe Matt Peet gave them a kick up the backside because in the second half they were much improved. KPP in particular just started running hard and straight and was like a completely different player.

Our direct play in the second half really turned the game, helped by some strong runs from maybe and Cust's short spell at hooker, where he was running the ball to good effect.

Watching Cust in defence during the game I think the reason he didn't play longer at 9 was the injury to his arm. He seemed to be dropping off a few tackles because he couldn't wrap his arms properly and a sustained spell of defending down the middle probably wasn't the best idea. I think Matt Peet got it right. Our only other option was Shorrocks being all action in defence and moving Cust to hooker at the right time.

I thought Singleton had the sort of game we really needed from him. His runs were strong and determined and it was up there with one of his better performances. Cooper and Ellis were impressive again and I thought Smithies must have been a contender for man of the match as his work rate was exceptional.

All things considered there may be one or two concerns about our tendency to be a bit erratic in attack in recent games. We're worse in away games so next week will be a lot harder than it looks on paper. At home we just seem to be able to turn on the style when we need to. Some of the tries we score are unbelievable.

Also, credit to Harry Smith. For his goal kicking percentage to be so high when pretty much every kick he gets is right on the touchline is very impressive.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:48 am "Singleton looked a different player. We all know he has the ability but often looks like he doesn’t get out of second gear"

Well timed comment this, fully justified on last night's performance!
Best game singo has had in a long time.
Could be maybe there’s more competition in the pack or cust going in at hooker
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

There’s no coincidence our forwards have looked best when Cust was at 9 they were steam rolling like saints pack does

This is why people like myself beat the we need a better hooker drum! Everything you do stems from that ruck

I highlighted against Leeds how in 3 consecutive passes the player recieving the ball had to reach back or high

Look at the best hookers like roby he very very rarely plays the ball from the floor he most often takes a step or too then plays a flat ball to a full speed prop

With us it’s often the other way around our props receiving the ball at half speed 5-10 yards back running at a defensive line that’s up to speed

Momentum and speed are vital

It’s no coincidence that the best team over the last decade has had the best hooker - they haven’t always had the best half backs or full backs

Wigan will not dominate until we have a better 9

The last time our props looked as good was in the cc semi against saints when they looked confident to run onto flat passes

We looked poor with shorrocks last night and that’s not his fault he’s as much a hooker as I am but in that bit when Cust went 9 we looked really slick - everything just looked easier
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:09 am There’s no coincidence our forwards have looked best when Cust was at 9 they were steam rolling like saints pack does

This is why people like myself beat the we need a better hooker drum! Everything you do stems from that ruck

I highlighted against Leeds how in 3 consecutive passes the player recieving the ball had to reach back or high

Look at the best hookers like roby he very very rarely plays the ball from the floor he most often takes a step or too then plays a flat ball to a full speed prop

With us it’s often the other way around our props receiving the ball at half speed 5-10 yards back running at a defensive line that’s up to speed

It’s no coincidence that the best team over the last decade has had the best hooker - they haven’t always had the best half backs or full backs

The last time our props looked as good was in the cc semi against saints when they looked confident to run onto flat passes

We looked poor with shorrocks last night and that’s not his fault he’s as much a hooker as I am but in that bit when Cust went 9 we looked really slick - everything just looked easier
So when we where the team to beat with Powell at hooker under Wane?????

I also think we are taking to much from our pack dominating their's last night. Wire have issues with the pack and our wingers where also making easy metres.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Caboosegg wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:25 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:09 am There’s no coincidence our forwards have looked best when Cust was at 9 they were steam rolling like saints pack does

I also think we are taking to much from our pack dominating their's last night. Wire have issues with the pack and our wingers where also making easy metres.
Do you mean that one season in 2018?, Mickey Mac left after 2017 and Waney left after 2018?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

medlocke wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:35 pm

Do you mean that one season in 2018?, Mickey Mac left after 2017 and Waney left after 2018?
Don’t forget Mickey Macs horror injury he picked up,Powell was hooker then.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

fozzieskem wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:37 pm
medlocke wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:35 pm

Don’t forget Mickey Macs horror injury he picked up, Powell was hooker then.
Fair enough, I had forgotten about that one