Tonights Game v Catalans Dragons

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Tonights Game v Catalans Dragons

Post by Charriots Offiah »

widdenoldboy wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:56 pm
DaveO wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:40 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:29 pm
I said at the time it was announced KPP was leaving he should have just gone I don’t like and never have liked this nonsense of seeing your deal out if he wants to leave let them,of the others you mention only Cooper is worth another year at present on form at least.

As for that tonight that was simply unacceptable
Players who see their deals out and play well in their last season are those who sign them with the intention of doing so. Players like Blake Green for example. Not those who sign long deals to make sure they have a job but then set their agent off trying to get them a gig in the NRL. Something that ironically the all important culture at Wigan seems to encourage.
Decent point on the culture at Wigan. is it good enough? Is it good enough to dislodge Saints?

Not picking on Peet, he has improved things but will it be enough?
The answer is no. Having said that Rads and IFL need to give him the right tools.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:06 am
DaveO wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:40 pm

Players who see their deals out and play well in their last season are those who sign them with the intention of doing so. Players like Blake Green for example. Not those who sign long deals to make sure they have a job but then set their agent off trying to get them a gig in the NRL. Something that ironically the all important culture at Wigan seems to encourage.
Decent point on the culture at Wigan. is it good enough? Is it good enough to dislodge Saints?

The answer is no. Having said that Rads and IFL need to give him the right tools.
I agree with you there chariots. You can only use what you’re provided with. BUT who’s to say he hasn’t agreed with the recruitment with Rafa and IFL?
Charriots Offiah

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:24 pm
mjdodge13 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:12 pm Out of our pack, who would start for any other Super league team? Let’s take Farrell out……

(Even Sky Sports were saying how strange it was, we can get near the line but not score!)
Well, the club has a chance to do something about it come the end of the season. Singleton, Ellis, Cooper, Mago, Smithies and Isa are all out of contract and KPP is off.
I said at the time it was announced KPP was leaving he should have just gone I don’t like and never have liked this nonsense of seeing your deal out if he wants to leave let them,of the others you mention only Cooper is worth another year at present on form at least.

The trouble is that we will have to retain some of the federation players as there are very few decent players off contract at the end of the season in SL. I would retain Field and French, the rest of the non-federation players would have to go. Singleton, Powell and King would have to follow suit. I would then sign two overseas props, a centre, stand-off and a second row. I would also try and recruit English from Huddersfield - he will never be the greatest but he has a good work ethic. In the meantime let’s blood some of our youngsters.

Our recruitment and retention has been nothing short of criminal and it needs to be sorted if we are to compete with the likes of Saints.

I know that I keep banging on about Nicholson going to Wire but, in my view, he is better than both Isa and KPP. The loss of Bateman is massive, irrespective of his dip in form.
Charriots Offiah

Barney841 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:17 am

I agree with you there chariots. You can only use what you’re provided with. BUT who’s to say he hasn’t agreed with the recruitment with Rafa and IFL?
Most of those players were signed prior to Peet becoming coach. Wardle is a good signing, I think Hampshire will be a shrewd signing, but I am not sure about King. We have got to recruit better forwards.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:24 am
Barney841 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:17 am

Most of those players were signed prior to Peet becoming coach. Wardle is a good signing, I think Hampshire will be a shrewd signing, but I am not sure about King. We have got to recruit better forwards.
If your competent coach you should say who’s not good enough no? Also his signing haven’t been great, Mago, Ellis, thornley? Our best players I would say are Faz, Marshall, Field and French. The latter two being signed during Lams era
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:20 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:24 pm

Well, the club has a chance to do something about it come the end of the season. Singleton, Ellis, Cooper, Mago, Smithies and Isa are all out of contract and KPP is off.

The trouble is that we will have to retain some of the federation players as there are very few decent players off contract at the end of the season in SL. I would retain Field and French, the rest of the non-federation players would have to go. Singleton, Powell and King would have to follow suit. I would then sign two overseas props, a centre, stand-off and a second row. I would also try and recruit English from Huddersfield - he will never be the greatest but he has a good work ethic. In the meantime let’s blood some of our youngsters.

Our recruitment and retention has been nothing short of criminal and it needs to be sorted if we are to compete with the likes of Saints.

I know that I keep banging on about Nicholson going to Wire but, in my view, he is better than both Isa and KPP. The loss of Bateman is massive, irrespective of his dip in form.
I’ll not disagree with you over Nicholson I felt he had more potential than say KPP but I can stand to lose that sort of player if it didn’t happen so often that’s what hacks people off and it’s no way to win and build on grand final wins as saints have done,they simply don’t lose the talent Wigan let go and title after title should be telling the people in charge something is wrong.

It’s become very clear how big a loss Bateman is again you’re spot on with that assesment.
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

Just a big thank-you to my friends at Network Rail for closing both the East Coast and West Coast train lines today . Much as I hate watching Wigan on TV when I could and should be there the thought of freezing my proverbials off watching that game live doesn't really appeal. That broken rail line at Berwick and the resulting round trip Edinburgh to Berwick meant I at least kept the body temperature at a reasonable level and I live to fight another day . Please be warmer at Huddersfield next week lol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

EW
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Wigan_ITK wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:37 pm
Barney841 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:14 pm What did I say let’s not get carried away with the recent two wins, even though nilling two teams on the bounce is brilliant, against two poor teams.
We play a good team and we look lost in attack, how toothless can you get!
Team needs changing asap! Or I might get shot down here but Peet needs to take a good look at himself. Picking Powell week in week out, let’s be honest he seems undroppable, he’s not good enough!
Mago got a load of stick last season and I’m sure he’s the only one who made yards tonight! Singo, Isa no good past it, Smithies needs more to his game and Smith isn’t good enough. And how slow is King!
Smith not good enough? Oh here we go again.

Besides a couple of errors when he was trying to force the play he was the one player who was looking to create and make something happen tonight, he can only do so much with no pack and a 6&9 who aren't a 6&9.

The fact he scored all ten of our points tonight tells you a little something as well, I’ve not watched the game back yet but I’m going to stick my neck out and say the experts will also recognise how well he did in difficult circumstances.
Ialso thought smith had a good game
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Big stick

Post by Big stick »

Firestarter wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:19 am
Wigan_ITK wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:37 pm
Barney841 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:14 pm What did I say let’s not get carried away with the recent two wins, even though nilling two teams on the bounce is brilliant, against two poor teams.
We play a good team and we look lost in attack, how toothless can you get!
Team needs changing asap! Or I might get shot down here but Peet needs to take a good look at himself. Picking Powell week in week out, let’s be honest he seems undroppable, he’s not good enough!
Mago got a load of stick last season and I’m sure he’s the only one who made yards tonight! Singo, Isa no good past it, Smithies needs more to his game and Smith isn’t good enough. And how slow is King!
Smith not good enough? Oh here we go again.

Besides a couple of errors when he was trying to force the play he was the one player who was looking to create and make something happen tonight, he can only do so much with no pack and a 6&9 who aren't a 6&9.

The fact he scored all ten of our points tonight tells you a little something as well, I’ve not watched the game back yet but I’m going to stick my neck out and say the experts will also recognise how well he did in difficult circumstances.
Ialso thought smith had a good game
Good game :shock: he had a decent 20 mins but apart from that was shocking. Caused no threat. Kicked out on the full TWICE. I don’t know if it’s a confidence issue or what but he’s a slow starter in games and if it ain’t going well he does a Williams and go’s missing
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Are they,and Smith in particular missing Briers?