Tonight's game v Wakefield

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
keptinthedarkfans

Re: Tonight's game v Wakefield

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Dreamteam wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:12 pm
Bobby-WRL wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:01 pm
Dreamteam wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:58 pm

So why are you telling people after an awful loss to “ bring on the overreaction”. I seem to remember you doing it earlier on the season when u created a thread trying to reel people in
What was that?
Back In may I seem to remember u creating a “ bring on the experts “ thread after an embarrassing loss before it being shut down by one of the admins (thankfully). Pretty strange trying to wind up your own fans when u know we’re all frustrated
Funny you say that. I was going to answer his post especially when he tried to start a pxssing competition over whose spent most money. But remembered his previous posts trying to poke a wasps nest we are fans hurting after a poor loss so not hard to get a reaction. Its almost like he enjoys nights like this just to try make a point he's happy with the way things are. But trying to get me to believe it well sorry he's pissxng against the wind
Big stick

Post by Big stick »

Really poor tonight. How we managed to let them get back in it I’ll never know. Hopefully this will give them the slap round the face they need. We’ve been shoddy for the past 3 games now.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:24 pm
Bobby-WRL wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:01 pm

What was that?
Back In may I seem to remember u creating a “ bring on the experts “ thread after an embarrassing loss before it being shut down by one of the admins (thankfully). Pretty strange trying to wind up your own fans when u know we’re all frustrated
Funny you say that. I was going to answer his post especially when he tried to start a pxssing competition over whose spent most money. But remembered his previous posts trying to poke a wasps nest we are fans hurting after a poor loss so not hard to get a reaction. Its almost like he enjoys nights like this just to try make a point he's happy with the way things are. But trying to get me to believe it well sorry he's pissxng against the wind
From what I’ve seen on here there’s has been no overreaction at all. No player has been singled out but more of an overall frustration of it all which has been building up all season. He obviously loves nights like this 🤷
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Listened to Milko and both of them seemed so frustrated by the team's indiscipline. The hit on the kicker seemed a really bad piece of play.

Week in and week out everyone says Bevan at 6 isn't working but no on e seems to know the answer. Perhaps start the game with Bevan at 6 then 2nd half we put Bevan at 1 with Jai at 6. If we trained to do that then we'd be able to see if it produces results. It would also give the opposition something they wouldn't expect.

To win a trophy we have to improve and by some degree. To do that we need to bring about change to the squad and perhaps moving Bevan and Jai could produce the changes required to get the improvement we need.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Dreamteam wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:28 pm
keptinthedarkfans wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:24 pm

From what I’ve seen on here there’s has been no overreaction at all. No player has been singled out but more of an overall frustration of it all which has been building up all season. He obviously loves nights like this 🤷
I will start. Bloody Powell losing us the game
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Bobby-WRL

Post by Bobby-WRL »

I can’t quote all but I’ll try and respond to what I’ve seen . My posts stem from frustration from the many fans on here that hysterically jump the gun after a loss.
Wigan 2021 was one of the bleakest seasons in living memory and since Matt P had come in it’s not been perfect but i can see that we are building (he says himself all the time that there will be ups and downs along the way )and it feels like we are on the brink of a new period of dominance .
Last year we won the cup and finished 1 from the GF.
This year who knows but I feel very positive about the future.

In regards to my comment about money into the club if you look at what I’m replying to you'll see it was in retaliation to a swipe at me . I don’t go to every away game but this club means a lot to me.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:36 pm Listened to Milko and both of them seemed so frustrated by the team's indiscipline. The hit on the kicker seemed a really bad piece of play.

Week in and week out everyone says Bevan at 6 isn't working but no on e seems to know the answer. Perhaps start the game with Bevan at 6 then 2nd half we put Bevan at 1 with Jai at 6. If we trained to do that then we'd be able to see if it produces results. It would also give the opposition something they wouldn't expect.

To win a trophy we have to improve and by some degree. To do that we need to bring about change to the squad and perhaps moving Bevan and Jai could produce the changes required to get the improvement we need.
It’s Cust at 6. French back on the wing. Cust is the only player who can play 6 and he was fine when we won the cup.

Peet needs to stop trying to fit form players in the team out of position.

That means Miski is dropped not because he’s playing badly but because we can’t have a player at 6 in French who isn’t a 6 just so Miski gets a game.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Terrible result but having watched the pen in normal and slow speeds all i can say is mmmmmm.No excuses though and something has got to change asap.Either its an attitude problem or is it the coaching team? Not sure but french is a finisher not a creator.If cust isnt deemed good enough as a stand off then he shouldnt be in the starting 17.This, imo, lost us the game going a prop down
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

DaveO wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:47 pm
Wiganer Ted wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:36 pm Listened to Milko and both of them seemed so frustrated by the team's indiscipline. The hit on the kicker seemed a really bad piece of play.

It’s Cust at 6. French back on the wing. Cust is the only player who can play 6 and he was fine when we won the cup.

That means Miski is dropped not because he’s playing badly but because we can’t have a player at 6 in French who isn’t a 6 just so Miski gets a game.
Miski offers more to the team on the wing than French. If the halves are playing well you can get plenty from French out wide, but if the halves aren't playing well then French hardly sees the ball. French is our most creative player this season, so putting him in a position where he can't create anything makes no sense. That's nearly half of our try assists gone and the bulk of the creativity resting on Smith, Cust and Field. The latter two haven't really delivered in that regard this year and Smith has been wildly inconsistent.

Besides, with our pack being a bit poor when either Havard or Ellis (or both) are missing the carries from the outside backs are essential. Miski is great at those carries. French really isn't.

He's not playing French at 6 to accommodate Miski. He's playing French at 6 because he's been the best of a bad bunch. It's been a while since he started there but Cust was absolutely savaged on here for his performances at 6 and most people were saying French was wasted on the wing too because Field was nowhere near last season's form. I don't see how going backwards helps us. If Field and Cust could find some form we'd be able to use French on the wing but I just don't see how an out of form 6 helps us. Even out of position French is still our biggest threat and most creative player and based on his form early in the season I don't see how Cust can replicate that.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

EagleEyePie wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:03 pm
DaveO wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:47 pm

Miski offers more to the team on the wing than French. If the halves are playing well you can get plenty from French out wide, but if the halves aren't playing well then French hardly sees the ball. French is our most creative player this season, so putting him in a position where he can't create anything makes no sense. That's nearly half of our try assists gone and the bulk of the creativity resting on Smith, Cust and Field. The latter two haven't really delivered in that regard this year and Smith has been wildly inconsistent.

Besides, with our pack being a bit poor when either Havard or Ellis (or both) are missing the carries from the outside backs are essential. Miski is great at those carries. French really isn't.

He's not playing French at 6 to accommodate Miski. He's playing French at 6 because he's been the best of a bad bunch. It's been a while since he started there but Cust was absolutely savaged on here for his performances at 6 and most people were saying French was wasted on the wing too because Field was nowhere near last season's form. I don't see how going backwards helps us. If Field and Cust could find some form we'd be able to use French on the wing but I just don't see how an out of form 6 helps us. Even out of position French is still our biggest threat and most creative player and based on his form early in the season I don't see how Cust can replicate that.
Miski does not offer more than French on the wing. Where has this idea come from? The fact he’s a decent SL winger? French can do what Miski can do and then some. The problem is at 6 French is wasted and Peet needs to stop playing three wingers which he couldn’t do anyway if he found an alternative at 6. He’s got three players who are wingers, Marshall, Miski and French given Field is a full back and nothing else. So If Cust isn’t going to be tried there again then put Shorrocks back.

The trouble is I don’t see this issue going away next season. Miski has been given a new deal and I don’t see us signing a stand off. The rest of the league will be much happier facing Miski on the wing and having French largely ineffective at 6 than they were when Cust was going fine and French was on the wing.