Farrell leaving good for both him and Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
proud_pie_eater

Re: Farrell leaving good f...

Post by proud_pie_eater »

Yeah that sounds about right!
NUMBER 1 SPOT HERE WE COME!!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

gab0512 posted:
DaveO - DW complains at paying £15k for policing, do you really think he would not bother with getting £400k + on a player who came through the ranks?
Given the posts in the thread about DW being willing to spend £20 MILLION on Latics I think my proposition he can afford to tell the RFU to keep their £400K is spot on.:D
I am of the opinion that DW has earned the right to invest whatever he likes in latics, and not that bothered he does. He has earned his money with hard work, and I was grateful he stepped in when we were 2 hours from not ceasing to exist. Not really that long ago.
He is supposed to be keen on Wigan RL and for it to succeed. I think a paltry (by comparison) £400K is not much to ask to keep the games best player at the club and in the game. He would even get quite a bit of positive publicity out of it should he wish to take it.
With regards to selling Faz. If we would have put him on the open market, the likelihood is that people would be questioning why? Then we would be thinking who could afford both the transfer fee and wage demands in the RL world? This would (if the RFU were thinking about it) only lower his valuation as there would be a shortage of available buyers. It is always best to be approached for, rather than offer a player imo.
It is but now that Farrell is seemingly available why not have an auction aka the one that appears to be going on for SBW if money is what we are after?
Like you say, the less of the two evils would be to wait until the end of the RL season. If this though causes the deal to collapse, then I would do the deal now.

Do you still think that given the thread about Whelan being ready to splash out £20 million on Latics?

Dave
gab0512

Post by gab0512 »

DaveO - £20m doesn't seem nearly enough if latics get promoted, and shows just how much of a tightwad DW is. :)

I still think he won't turn his nose up at £400k+ for any player, especially one that only has about 2 years left to play at the top level. :(
DaveO

Re: Farrell leaving good for b...

Post by DaveO »

Warriors_ace_17 posted:
He has given us so many years of loyality and carried us so many times! he deserves this opportunity
Lindsay has now broken silence on this and more or less says what you do above that started this thread off.

However he has also said this in the story linked to this post:

"The money side of things hasn't been concluded, but it's not the point for Wigan," he told Radio Five Live.

"A shortage of money has never been a problem for us.

"Even if we did have it, under the salary cap we can't spend a penny of it anyway - we'd rather have the player."

After tonights game he should tell the RFU to go away and tell Farrell to see his contract out.

I don't care how many years Faz has played for us if he feels anything for the club he will be itching to get better and get his boots on, not leave when we are in need of his leadership and playing talent.

Dave