Salford game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: Salford game

Post by cpwigan »

lol WW68 beat me :)
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

"Moving a SL game away frmo home is not an acceptable situtaion". Unless we want to go to London...
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
endoman

Post by endoman »

One option that wasn't mentioned was that of Wigan Athletic moving their game. No different to Wigan RL having to move theirs.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Mike wrote:"Moving a SL game away frmo home is not an acceptable situtaion". Unless we want to go to London...
:wink: I cannot understand why the club is against moving fixtures when they already do. Mind you, the RFL are equally stupid; Blackpool FC is a total non starter, the pitch is worse than the DW. It is common knowledge, anybody can find that out (apart from the RFL). NRL clubs happily move around. I we build our support / interest in Preston or Blackburn IMO it is all good.

I can understand fans being pigged off but hey I can remember mission impossible seasons and playing silly amount of fixtures in a week / period. If you miss a game, you live with it. I had a choice screw up my degree by missing a field trip to Creator Moor or miss a season decider. It was easy, I missed the game. IIRC, a publican let me watch it in a pub at Cleator Moor when I told them I was a Wigan fan.

Great idea by IL though to put this broadcast up and I have no doubt the club worked incredibly hard albeit I think the we will not move a home fixture from the DW looks a tad silly.
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

endoman wrote:One option that wasn't mentioned was that of Wigan Athletic moving their game. No different to Wigan RL having to move theirs.
After watching my thoughts exactly. Also he said no way could you play Friday then Saturday because of potential issues to the pitch then went on to say they tried to move our game to sunday. Complete contradiction :angry:
i'm spartacus

Post by i'm spartacus »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
i'm spartacus wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote: 14% actually (4.9 million of the £35 million cost of building the Stadium).

The name of Wigan Football Club Limited is more than likely the trading name of Wigan Athletic who own the Stadium and which is registered with Companies House. Prior to Whelan donating the Stadium to the Latic's, it was owned by Whelco, the trading name of Whelan's business empire. In other words, it is still owned by Whelan as he owns Wigan Athleic.

Wigan Rugby League Club Limited is the trading name of Wigan Warriors and registered with Companies House.
The ground is owned by Wigan Athletic Holdings https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/com ... 3/officers

The football club is a subsidiary https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/00270043

Latics did at one time own the stadium, but this all altered at the time of Whelan's debt to equity swap when Whelco was liquidated and assets changed ownership. The up shot is, despite the fact that the same people control both the holding company and the football club, they are distinct and seperate entities.

The Warriors have a lease, and any financial obligations they have in respect of ground maintenance should be in that lease. In general, landlords don't rock up and carry out large scale maintenance then send a bill to a tenant unless a lease says he can. I can't imagine any situation where a landlord could bill you for damage you haven't caused even if the clause was in it
They may be seperate distinct and seperate enterties, but the fact remains that the Latic's own the Stadium as Wigan Athletic is owned by Whelan, his Wife and Grandson under the company name of Wigan Athletic Holdings Limited and the Stadium is operated under the trading name of the DW Stadium to make it look as if it is a seperate independant company which is not the case.
I'm sorry but that isn't the case at all.

A company has its own personality. Once you start a company, the assets of the company belong to the company and not to the individuals who control the company.
The fact that Whelan, his wife, and his grandson control both companies doesn't mean that Wigan Athletic owns the stadium. The football club is a subsidiary of the holding club, and the holding club owns the stadium and has a controlling interest as a major shareholder in the football club.

The reasoning behind this set up is that a holding company isn't liable for the debts of its subsidiary. The one really valuable asset Latics had pre debt to equity swap, was the stadium. Under the current structure, if Latics go bust, the stadium doesn't belong to football club, ergo, the creditors would not be able to take it against the debt.

Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Personally I'd prefer the club to make a statement as early as possible that there is a potential problem with the fixture and state the reasons without implying blame. Then say the club is working to resolve the issue and will try to minimise disruption to the fans.

With a statement like that you wouldn't have a huge "social media" outpouring when the game gets changed days before the original date. Basically the official line from the club is that the match is confirmed on the date on the fixtures just like all the others, until it isn't.

I understand IL's desire to keep negotiations private, but you don't have to keep the fact that there are negotiations on going private. The club often allow issues to be dribbled out by rumour and insiders when they could take the lead in communication. That doesn't mean revealing the details of contracts and negotiations, but it does mean deciding what can be released and releasing it. From the outside, it looks like the club has a very private need-to-know attitude about its stakeholders. Perhaps a fans rep on the board would help with this?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2016- ... e-decision

Mr Lenegan video explaining the fixture problem
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Travelling in my car the newstation announced on the radio that "Wigan" had bought Bolton Wanderers Euxton training ground

Is there more to this than meets the eye?

Just found this
Geograph

BUSINESS-IN-SPORT

Bolton Wanderers secure sale of Euxton training ground
Financially troubled Bolton Wanderers have managed to sell off their training ground just days before a High Court appearance over a £3m unpaid tax bill.

The club, which are £172.9m in debt, have sold the Euxton training facility to League One side Wigan Athletic and are due to appear before the High Court this Monday (February 22).

Last month, Bolton bosses were granted extra time to either raise funds through the sale of assets or attract a buyer for the club.

An official statement read: “Bolton Wanderers can announce that the club has concluded a deal to sell its Euxton training ground.

“The facility will now be solely owned by Huron Properties, with another North West football club set to be based at the Euxton site from this coming summer.”

Wigan Athletic, which confirmed the transaction on their website, will train at Euxton from the 2016/17 season onwards.

According to FC Business, Wigan chairman David Sharpe commented: "It’s integral to our future success that we have a high quality first team training ground, and an academy based in one location enabling it to grow and develop the players of the future."

Following the deal, Bolton Wanderers will continue to operate from their Lostock training ground and Macron Stadium.
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Just taking advantage of Bolton's dire finances. Non starter as a stadia. Nice training base though.