George William's released by Canberra

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ddtftf

Re: George William's released by Canberra

Post by ddtftf »

I really hope my previous announcement he was going to Warrington changes now with his release immediate effect
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 7:43 pm "The club is in contact with his manager, they have touched base with him, but there's plenty of water that needs to pass under the bridge."

Well that's not a good statement to read.
Its as much as Lam can say, legally he is still a Canberra player. there are unions and legal teams involved, so I think he has maybe just used a phrase that sounds more negative than it actually is. But he is right. External Issues out of Wigans control need finalising before he can put pen to paper with a new club
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

FIFTH Super League club joins race for star halfback

One, two, three, four and now five Super League clubs are said to be in for George Williams after Wakefield were the latest side to throw their hat into the ring.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/a-fifth- ... ack-39763/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

When you see all these things about him f***ing turning his back on his team and all that, it f***ing hurts”” – Josh Hodgson gives expletive-filled interview about George Williams

Josh Hodgson has come to the aid of teammate (or former teammate) George Williams after the latter has endured a barrage of criticism online.

Hodgson told the Daily Telegraph: “From an outside (looking) in I see how much s*** George is copping online.

“But from my side of things and I know from everyone at the club’s side of things because we spoke about it this morning, we all love George to death and we have known since his missus fell pregnant that he has been struggling for a long time to get settled and keep his missus settled.

But he busts his arse every day for us and when you see all these things about him f***ing turning his back on his team and all that, it f***ing hurts.

“It’s like watching your mate getting kicked in the street and just standing by watching. I feel like you’ve got to say something to tell people what a good lad he is.

Not once did he kick stones or make a fuss or say that he didn’t want to do x, y or z. Obviously this week about training he couldn’t come in. But, mate, we have all had them days when you have got dramas going on and you are a bit down in the dumps and there are times when you need a bit of a day off.

“That is certainly not a normal thing for George to do. The picture that is being painted is just not the picture of what George is and what he is about and what a good f***ing club kind of player he is.

And Stick (coach Ricky Stuart) only spoke in the meeting this morning, saying he loves George and that … he wouldn’t be saying that if George was a dickhead.”

The Canberra hooker also claimed that the players “don’t understand” the club’s decision.

They just don’t understand. From me, as a playing group, we just don’t understand how we can go and say, ‘mate you can’t go at the end of the year’, but all of a sudden you can go now.

“I still don’t know what the explanation is. Obviously they have to make a decision. We have a season to get on with and all that, maybe that was the reason. Maybe they just wanted to get it done and dusted and move on. I don’t know.

But my reaching out to you was to just square up some of the stuff about George turning his back on us. That is the last type of person George is. He is the type of kid who you would friggin’ go to war for. He is just a legend of a bloke. And I am sure if you ask anyone at the club they will tell you he is a legend of a bloke.

“I have been around a long time in a few teams and I have seen many blokes who want out who just turn up kicking stones and just tick the boxes just to get paid and he certainly don’t do that mate.

“To see him painted in such a way and see him dragged through the mud a little bit does hurt when he is one of your good mates and especially when I have been a big advocate for him to come to this place from England … to see it go this way and to see him get painted in a different light to what the kid actually is hurts.

I think the division is coming from what is being perceived. What is being perceived is that George asked for a release right now and then he got it and he left.”

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/when-you ... ams-39762/
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Canberra hit back against George Williams in defiant statement

Canberra have denied George Williams’s claims they kicked the ex-Wigan halfback out of the NRL club, arguing they did all they could to ease his homesickness, the West Australian has reported.

The Raiders granted the halfback an immediate release from the final 18 months of his contract after he was a no-show at training and made himself unavailable for Saturday’s game against the Sydney Roosters.

The decision did not come at the specific request of Williams, who had been trying to leave the club at the end of the season and had recently been denied a third request for an early request.

In response, Williams took to social media to claim that “instead of supporting (him) the club kicked (him) out the door”.

In a statement released on Thursday, the club defended its handling of the matter, outlining what it feels was the adequate support it provided to Williams.

We were optimistic we could put measures in place to allow George to see out the duration of his contract,” the statement read.

“His family situation was discussed internally, and the club offered George the support to ensure he and his partner could have an extended stay in England during the 2022 pre-season so they could be surrounded by family.

George’s final request for a release came on Monday evening. The following day George withdrew from training and the upcoming match against the Roosters.

“This decision prompted the club to offer George an immediate release given the stress this was evidently causing he and his partner, thereby giving them the opportunity to return home earlier.”

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/canberra ... ent-39776/
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

It’s getting to be like a soap opera!

I said, he said, they said!

Even Bateman is getting abuse now off Aussie fans!!

https://twitter.com/johnbateman1/status ... 40065?s=12

😂😂
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Players' union to get involved in George Williams' split from Canberra Raiders?

Adrian Lam has suggested George Williams' exit from Canberra may be delayed due to involvement of the players' union.

George Williams has stated he has not signed release papers from the NRL outfit, despite the Raiders issuing a statement to say he had been released "effective immediately".

Lam says it is a "live situation" and believes the Rugby League Players Association - the union which represents players in the NRL - is getting involved.

"I think they're going through player unions which would delay things I presume," said Lam today at his weekly press conference.

There's plenty of water needs to pass under the bridge.

"It's a live situation with Canberra, we don't know exactly what's unfolded or how it's got to where it's at... there seems to be a little time before it's decided whether he's released immediately, in a month, at the end of the year (but) there's talk he's going to go immediately."

Wigan were already in the running to sign Williams for next season before this week's development, and Lam says he would love to bring the England international back mid-season.

He confirmed the club had been in contact with the 26-year-old's agent, Andy Clarke.

A player of his calibre you want him at Wigan," he said. "He's a Wigan junior, his friends are here, he's had success here.

That's in the hands of (executive director) Kris Radlinski and (chairman) Ian Lenagan and I'm sure they'll do their best to get him involved.

"Other clubs are interested, there are rumours around Leeds and Warrington and whoever else.

"George is a Wigan lad, the boys love him and he's been a big part of this club.

"As much as George Williams would be great at this club, for me, the focus is on this week."

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... rs-3251112
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Absolute no need for this kind of abuse.
But on a positive note, let’s hope this situation puts Canberra off signing Wigan players in future, or make wigan player’s think twice before moving to Canberra
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I notice Canberra have since moderated their view on Williams desire to come home,instead of putting this fresh press first letting Williams don the pantomime villain disguise in an effort to deflect the ire that would come from fans etc.

It seems to me looking from the outside that the raiders does seem to be a very toxic place to be if you decide enough is enough,quite why anyone would stay is beyond me I hope in future players tempted by the NRL look at the bigger picture and not the bigger pay packet,the grass is t always better on the other side
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Fair play to Josh Hodgson for his comments. Impressive to stand by George in public like that.