Squad for Wakefield

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
EagleEyePie

Re: Squad for Wakefield

Post by EagleEyePie »

Today was not the day that we were going to fix our awful attack but it still doesn't bode well for the coming weeks where we have to play Wire and Saints on the back of consecutive defeats.

I thought the young forwards put lots of effort in but they've been doing that all year. They've always put the effort in and, with the exception of Farrell, it's always the youngsters playing well and the experienced players doing poorly.

Today was more of the same. Wakefield had lots of players missing too but crucially they had Arona, Ashurst and Fifita in their pack. Experienced forwards who led from the front with some younger players alongside them.

I thought the selection of Hanley on the wing and Marshall at fullback was truly baffling though. Not only was it baffling but it cost us at times where Wakefield took advantage of Hanley's poor positioning on the wing. On the attacking front, with the exception of one tip on pass early on, Marshall never looked like passing the ball - so Wakefield never once had to worry about him passing the ball.

And of course, yet again we got nothing from Leuluai. You could certainly see he was making an effort. You could see him wanting to take the line on, but he's just not good enough. He's not quick enough, he doesn't create anything. He left pretty much everything for Smith. Yet today was probably the best game he's had for us this year because he actually reached the tryline (even if he didn't get the ball down), and actually took the line on a few times.

Ultimately I didn't expect us to win. I thought the players we had missing were the ones that would really emphasise our teams weakness and that seemed to be the case, but there were some baffling decisions.

On the plus side at least some people might now see why Mitch Clark never gets in the side. Sure he looks nice and aggressive going into contact but he also doesn't look like he knows what he's doing and seems to do the worst things at the worst times.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wiganer Ted wrote:Clark dropped the ball twice, second time he subbed him.
Second game on the run where a prop has been brought back on when the game has gone. Last week it was Singleton coming on with 6 mins to go, tonight it was Bullock with 5 remaining.

Lam had a difficult job with team selection and brought Clark, O'Neil & McDonnel back from loan. If this was a one off bad game with a poor performance I could understand it but it isn't. There are consistent performances and they are consistently poor and sometimes downright bad.

Only one way out of this and we all know what it is.
Lam has got to go. I don’t even agree he had a difficult job. Under these circumstances with a bare bones squad surely you just pick players in their correct positions and let them all give it a go. Simple!

No, not Lam. He compounds the fact the squad is depleted by playing players in positions they are to comfortable in or have never even played before. How to sap confidence even before you start.

That’s two weeks running he’s done this. Last week he was clearly unable to see Hastings at FB was not working so made no changes at half time and this week he puts a player on the wing who has looked like a fish out of water every time he’s played there and as you say what he did with the props was baffling.

I used to accuse Wane of being guilty of subbing by the clock but Lam’s substitutions are just random and seem to bare no resemblance of what’s going on in the game.

Lam is bloody clueless.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

I need somebody to explain to me how Marshall is a better fullback than Hanley and Hanley is a better winger than Marshall!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Charriots Offiah wrote:I need somebody to explain to me how Marshall is a better fullback than Hanley and Hanley is a better winger than Marshall!
Don’t hold your breath. Put like that is makes the stupidity of it obvious.

Presumably Hanley has the attributes expected of a full back so when the squad is depleted why not give him a game in the correct position? Nothing to lose and Lam might actually have learned something.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Well frankly Hanley has shown very little to suggest he could win a berth on the wing for Wigan, so if we don't trust him to play in his natural position, what's the point?
shawxshark

Post by shawxshark »

If Austin’s on out at wire I don’t know why we don’t go for him over some of other players that’s been suggest as potential halves for next year, surely he would join us over hkr?

Lam might as well leave now and just get wane in to do his stuff now, it’s obvious he’s going to use lockers and Matty peet so let them do it now and relieve lam, surely it can’t get any worse
Charriots Offiah

moto748 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:58 pm Well frankly Hanley has shown very little to suggest he could win a berth on the wing for Wigan, so if we don't trust him to play in his natural position, what's the point?
I do trust him it is Lam who has a problem. What did Marshall bring to that role?
Charriots Offiah

shawxshark wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:31 pm If Austin’s on out at wire I don’t know why we don’t go for him over some of other players that’s been suggest as potential halves for next year, surely he would join us over hkr?

Lam might as well leave now and just get wane in to do his stuff now, it’s obvious he’s going to use lockers and Matty peet so let them do it now and relieve lam, surely it can’t get any worse
It’s another Dorahy moment.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:41 am
moto748 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:58 pm Well frankly Hanley has shown very little to suggest he could win a berth on the wing for Wigan, so if we don't trust him to play in his natural position, what's the point?
I do trust him it is Lam who has a problem. What did Marshall bring to that role?
Well I don't know whether I trust him or not, having never seen him playing first-grade in that position, but the point is that Lam clearly doesn't seem to. I'm not suggesting for a moment that I thought playing Marshall at full-back was wise, and so it proved.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Lam interview saying Wigan lack confidence.
Yes they do lack confidence, in YOU!!!