Coley confirmed

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
GeoffN

Re: Coley confirmed

Post by GeoffN »

thegimble posted:
We need to follow that style rather than get 1-3 star players and have a small squad of real quality. If it were not for the high priced stars wed not have released so many over the last few years and totally destablise the squad.
True, up to a point, but the real problem is that our "high-priced stars", with the exception of Barrett, haven't been giving value for money.
If the players on comparable wages to Barrett had been delivering the goods as Barrett has, we wouldn't be complaining.

Looking at it the other way, if we hadn't paid out a big salary for Barrett, we'd be a lot lower than we are right now.

Looking back a few years, our high priced stars were Farrell & Radlinski & Newton; where would we have been without them in, say, 2002, when we last won the CC?

As DaveO has already pointed out, every club needs a handful of top-class players to compete at the highest level. Our problem has been paying top-class wages to mediocre players.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Has Fielden been a good buy :conf:

Withers, Millard, Tommy Lu Lu :eh:
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

cpwigan posted:

Fielden and Tommy are working behind a pack that needed a prop forward all this season after Logan went.A prop that could do at least 60 mins instead of the 10 minute wonder of Feka.
Withers and Millard were bad signings IMO
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

cpwigan posted:

Fielden and Tommy are working behind a pack that needed a prop forward all this season after Logan went.A prop that could do at least 60 mins instead of the 10 minute wonder of Feka.
Withers and Millard were bad signings IMO
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

lucky 13 posted:
1?
2Calders
3Baily
4Goulding
5Richards
6Trent
7Lulu
8Fielden
9Higham
10fekka
11Hock
12Coley
13 Lockers
14Hansen
15Millard ? if he stays .
16? 17? 18? 19? 20? We have Colbon Prescott Ocarrol Tomkins (who I have eard is on a good whack but will he still be here ?)and Mcilorum of which may be one or two would be in the twenty max I guess giving the reserve hooker spot to Mcilorum if we could get rid of Millard would free up 4 or 5 places I would imagine we would see a decent prop, Walker and a full back/centre added . Have I missed anybody?
This seasons squad numbers
1 Ashton gone needs replacing
2 Calderwood took up his option and will be here next year
3Bailey
4Withers gone needs replacing dont think Goulding is quite ready for this spot yet
5Richards
6Barrett
7 Leuluiai
8 Fielden
9 Higham
10 Paaleaasina
11 Hock
12 Fletcher needs replacing Coley probably signed for him
13 O'Loughlin
14 Vaealeki going needs replacing
15 No one has this number needs filling
16 Millard
17 No one has this number needs filling
18 Prescott
19 Hanson
20 Goulding
21 Hill
22 Tomkins
23 Colbon
24 O'carroll
25 MCIlorum
26 Thomas Coyle
28 Flanagan
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

GeoffN posted:
thegimble posted:
We need to follow that style rather than get 1-3 star players and have a small squad of real quality. If it were not for the high priced stars wed not have released so many over the last few years and totally destablise the squad.
True, up to a point, but the real problem is that our "high-priced stars", with the exception of Barrett, haven't been giving value for money.
If the players on comparable wages to Barrett had been delivering the goods as Barrett has, we wouldn't be complaining.

Looking at it the other way, if we hadn't paid out a big salary for Barrett, we'd be a lot lower than we are right now.

Looking back a few years, our high priced stars were Farrell & Radlinski & Newton; where would we have been without them in, say, 2002, when we last won the CC?

As DaveO has already pointed out, every club needs a handful of top-class players to compete at the highest level. Our problem has been paying top-class wages to mediocre players.
I agree and some were not even fist choice. Moran, DV were not the original player we chased. We do need class players we have i think 4 genuine class players.

Filden (Workrate)
Feka
Barett
Richards

The 4 would walk into any SL side.

We need at least another big prop, Centre, FB and 2 utility players and thats minimum. Ideally we need 6.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

thegimble posted:
I agree and some were not even fist choice. Moran, DV were not the original player we chased.
Wigan and St Helens were (I believe), to be the only two SL clubs seriously chasing DV at the time.

Unfortunately, Wigan won the chase.

St Helens, decided to open negotiations with a retired former Australian test centre - Jamie Lyons. The rest is history. Although I did hear that Lyons was on a fraction of DV's wage - somewhere in the region of £70k a season!
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

DaveO posted:
I think a lot of what gets posted about academy players being disgruntled is coming from people with their own agenda and even some of the players themselves.
Dave
My sentiments exactly Dave.
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

GeoffN posted:

Relegated is my guess.

Well I am glad someone else can see it. It isn't the wages we pay to top class payers that is the problem provided they perform. If they don't perform that doesn't mean we should never sign a top class player on top class wages again.

Dave
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

thegimble posted:

So you saying Noble is not good at recruting players.
He can recruit players. What I am saying is I am not impressed with who he has recruited.
Filden, Dobson were 2 he bought in.
Did he? I am not convinced that was all his own work given the timing but it doesn't matter in the context of this discussion. Dobbo has gone and so even if he was responsible for Fielden what about the others? Are they or have they been any good?
His hands were tied last season due to deffered payments which killed him in getting 2 more players. You seem to have forgotten that. and we were in such a bad situation no player apart from the done deals before May that year would sign.
You can't get away form the fact he signed Withers and Millard when everyone pre-season said we needed a replacement for Logan.

We may well have been strapped for cash but he spent what little we had the wrong way.

He now said himself we were light in the front row.

Is that with hindsight on his part? Well he could have come on here for a bit of foresight couldn't he?
Yes sides are gettting star players. King in Warrington but they are letting a few go and they will suffer just as we did a few season ago. Same at HKR theyll sign 2-3 players but will lose a few more.

Saints dont do this they get players rejects such as Hargraves decent enogh player, never a superstar. they type we need to balance a squad in terms of the cap.
Hargreaves is not a 1st 17 player. We have those already. (e.g. Prescott). What we lack is first grade players within the 1st 17. Saints do not.
Wolves, Warriors, Leeds, Bulls and few more have signed more high profile players in recent years than Saints but they get better value for money. We need to follow that style rather than get 1-3 star players and have a small squad of real quality. If it were not for the high priced stars wed not have released so many over the last few years and totally destablise the squad.
I do not believe that to be the case. I think if the players we have signed who are supposed to be stars had lived up to their reputations we would be very happy. I am also convinced we have not released anyone who you could not justify releasing given the 20/25.

Saints may not have signed many stars recently but they don't need to because they are already on their books.

Dave