Gelling / Thornley

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Pies for ever

Re: Gelling / Thornley

Post by Pies for ever »

Heard that Kingy is not being offered a new contract for next season and will be off to pastures new with even the possibility of going to the dark side. So much for working hard and keeping your nose clean, perhaps he should have had a dump on a hotel carpet or come from South Wales, then he may have got a chance.
doc

Post by doc »

Although Thornley took his try well and positionally played a better game then Gelling he seemed to lack pace quite a few times which lead to us missing out on 2 or 3 tries. Would Gelling have scored them?... I don't know, but it shows that they both have their faults as wingers.
cumbria_warrior

Post by cumbria_warrior »

I was disappointed with thornley yesterday, lacked pace and did not seem to have any confidence in his self on breaks, several occasions where broke through and almost stopped when looking for someone to pass to but got pushed in touch. Certainly not a full time replacement out wide
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

I think we all agree that neither Gelling or Thornley are wingers. The worrying thing for me is that neither of them look like being capable of passing the ball accurately with any consistency, which is not a good trait for a centre.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Thornley never played wing. Let us give him some games before some posters hang him.
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

As I said before Thornley was resigned, his core skills arent that great and at academy level he was a typical big lad that struggled once those around him had caught up strength/size wise. This is one of the reasons he was shunted off into the 2nd row in his final season.

Gellings core skills are even worse and his lack of general RL skill and knowledge is quite amazing considering he was once on the books of a NRL club. He may be out of position but he has had plenty of games on the wing now and I see absolutely no improvement in his general RL play. Some of the simple mistakes he makes are shocking and wouldnt be made by a schoolboy. Many of them should be easily rectified and for whatever reason Gelling does not seem to be learning.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Gelling had an excellent game for the 20's this weekend, people need to remember he wasn't signed to play 1st grade football this year.

Gelling will make a good centre/2nd rower.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

29wes28 wrote:Gelling had an excellent game for the 20's this weekend, people need to remember he wasn't signed to play 1st grade football this year.

Good to hear Wes!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
michael inch stoke

Post by michael inch stoke »

29wes28 wrote:Gelling had an excellent game for the 20's this weekend, people need to remember he wasn't signed to play 1st grade football this year.

What position did he play for the 20's, Wes?
bocco

Post by bocco »

I think Gelling will e an excellent centre in the future, it just takes time to settle & playing on the wing does not help. Also playing far from home does not help give him time to settle.