Wane without a whole team!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
morley pie eater

Re: Wane without a whole team!!

Post by morley pie eater »

fozzieskem wrote:
moto748 wrote:Surely the difference between us and Leeds and Hudds is, Leeds' senior players have either retired, or are getting on. Hudds rely heavily on Brough, who is, what, 34? Lockers aside, we have a young squad with their best years in front of them, something neither of the other two can say.
And to think Leeds have it all to go through again when JJB,Maguire and Burrows decide to retire
And Ablett :lol:
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Wormburner wrote:This season is a right off, it has all gone tits up, best to get everybody fit and healthy and ready for next season :exc:
Same was said last year, look how that turned out! :wink:
Depends on the person's agenda. For a few it might have been bitter sweet.

TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Wormburner wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Wormburner wrote:This season is a right off, it has all gone tits up, best to get everybody fit and healthy and ready for next season :exc:
Same was said last year, look how that turned out! :wink:
We were not this bad last year though was we, i am really worried that we will end up being the laughing stock again :(
...again?
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Wormburner

Post by Wormburner »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Wormburner wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote: Same was said last year, look how that turned out! :wink:
We were not this bad last year though was we, i am really worried that we will end up being the laughing stock again :(
...again?
1996, 2006
Let's is a contraction of “let us.” You use it to make suggestions about what you and someone else should do. Let's is NOT a promise
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Wormburner wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Wormburner wrote:We were not this bad last year though was we, i am really worried that we will end up being the laughing stock again :(
...again?
1996, 2006
Bloody hell Meds! :lol:
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Peet_1987

Post by Peet_1987 »

we are under the cosh that is for sure - do you not feel our signings have been poor as well though, fair enough sam and joe where great players for wigan but we haven't seen the reward for them. How is it that teams like Cas seem to find quality in all positions and standards, they must have a good scout! I am all for home grown talent but you still need to extend the net and bring in great talent the like Bateman, not wigan born but wears his heart on his sleeve every game for us.
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

Peet_1987 wrote:we are under the cosh that is for sure - do you not feel our signings have been poor as well though, fair enough sam and joe where great players for wigan but we haven't seen the reward for them. How is it that teams like Cas seem to find quality in all positions and standards, they must have a good scout! I am all for home grown talent but you still need to extend the net and bring in great talent the like Bateman, not wigan born but wears his heart on his sleeve every game for us.
Joe would stroll into any side in the league, including Cas.
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
Peet_1987

Post by Peet_1987 »

yokozuna wrote:
Peet_1987 wrote:we are under the cosh that is for sure - do you not feel our signings have been poor as well though, fair enough sam and joe where great players for wigan but we haven't seen the reward for them. How is it that teams like Cas seem to find quality in all positions and standards, they must have a good scout! I am all for home grown talent but you still need to extend the net and bring in great talent the like Bateman, not wigan born but wears his heart on his sleeve every game for us.
I am not saying every signing we make is bad but lets be honest most are worse than good
markill

Post by markill »

Peet_1987 wrote:
yokozuna wrote:
I am not saying every signing we make is bad but lets be honest most are worse than good
Are they though? If we try to be objective, rather than going off our high expectations that influence our subjective criticisms.

Joe Burgess - 7 tries, 3 assists in 7 Super League games, and a hattrick in the WCS. Yeah, he's been suspect when defending in the centre, but if you're holding that over him you has unreachable standards/expectations.

Sam Tomkins in 2016 - 14 SL games, 6 tries & 10 try assists 71% win success. He was better last year than we think, because he has been injured lots we downgrade his actual contributions when he did play.

How many other of the genuine outside signings have then played in Grand Final teams over the last few years? Every player signed since 2013 has been part of a Grand Final squad. And you can't say that was all on the academy products. Green and Smith won a double as our halves getting MoM each in finals, with other signees like Richards, Taylor, Dudson, Flower in those sides in 2013.

I don't feel our signings have been poor in general. I think the odd one hasn't been as good as I would hope, the odd one hasn't played as much as I would hope, and yes there are some players other clubs have been able to sign that I would now like to see at Wigan but hindsight is great and I still haven't seen most of those clubs in a Grand Final in recent years.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Since Lauaki our signings have been superb. Leuluai, Burgess, Escare and Navarette are all great signings in their different ways.
The one issue the club has is that our players get injured all the time, are out for a long time and then take ages to get up to speed.