Sam & Joel, The Video

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jobo

Re: Sam & Joel, The Video

Post by jobo »

cherry.pie wrote:
josie andrews wrote:
cherry.pie wrote:To be fair to Rads my previous comments may have been a little harsh. It is very possible that he wasn't aware of the incident.

If the bar owner reported it to the club it doesn't necessarily mean that it reached Rads given he's effectively top dog with Lenagan spending more time on other things. That means the incident was probably reported to someone else. In which case saying there will be an investigation into the circumstances would also include investigating who knew and tried to brush it under the carpet.
:lol: :lol: You must be joking! Of course he knew!
I bow down to your greater knowledge. I simply thought it was a little harsh to be blaming Rads initially when I wasn't certain what happened.
I was open to the possibility that someone else (i.e the coach, since he doesn't live too far away) could have gone to sort it out and been the one to try to keep it quiet.
It seems pretty clear someone was trying to protect the players.
Exactly. I don't know if KR knew about the video. If he did, there's a case to answer. Any way up, it's now looking like Joel is about to get binned, despite an exemplary record for the past 14 years.

Happy days for some.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

cherry.pie wrote:
josie andrews wrote:
cherry.pie wrote:To be fair to Rads my previous comments may have been a little harsh. It is very possible that he wasn't aware of the incident.

If the bar owner reported it to the club it doesn't necessarily mean that it reached Rads given he's effectively top dog with Lenagan spending more time on other things. That means the incident was probably reported to someone else. In which case saying there will be an investigation into the circumstances would also include investigating who knew and tried to brush it under the carpet.
:lol: :lol: You must be joking! Of course he knew!
I bow down to your greater knowledge. I simply thought it was a little harsh to be blaming Rads initially when I wasn't certain what happened.
I was open to the possibility that someone else (i.e the coach, since he doesn't live too far away) could have gone to sort it out and been the one to try to keep it quiet.
Rads doesn’t live that far away either. But to my knowledge, the club was informed the next day, on the Monday.

To be honest, when I was informed about the incident, I was completely shocked to hear that Joel was involved! He’d always appeared to be the more quieter & level headed of the two. Sam, yes, I’ve seen a few drunken videos of him.

On seeing the video, I was appalled & ashamed of them both. If I had anything to do with the disciplining of them, they would both have been sacked there & then NOT five weeks later just because the video has become public through social media. To allow them to carry on playing shows the club in a bad light.

They have disgraced the club, the fans & the town!

Escare was dropped because he was late for training!!

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wes

Post by Wes »

josie andrews wrote:I also think there should be a complete drinks ban during the season. They are supposed to be professional athletes.

I have also heard that a few backroom staff are also wanting away!
I think players need a drink/release but personally liked the Madge way, we go out as a team with families or we don’t go out!
Wes

Post by Wes »

josie andrews wrote:
cherry.pie wrote:
josie andrews wrote: :lol: :lol: You must be joking! Of course he knew!
Rads doesn’t live that far away either. But to my knowledge, the club was informed the next day, on the Monday.

To be honest, when I was informed about the incident, I was completely shocked to hear that Joel was involved! He’d always appeared to be the more quieter & level headed of the two. Sam, yes, I’ve seen a few drunken videos of him.

On seeing the video, I was appalled & ashamed of them both. If I had anything to do with the disciplining of them, they would both have been sacked there & then NOT five weeks later just because the video has become public through social media. To allow them to carry on playing shows the club in a bad light.

It is a complete joke if Escaré was dropped for that!!! I hate the club has favourites!!

In your opinion Josie who is the problem at the club SW, KR or IL or all of them 2 of them etc.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

DaveO wrote:
Exiled Wiganer wrote: We don't know what Rads was told went on, and he is saying that he only saw the video on Saturday. I would be inclined to believe him, and think that he may reasonably have hoped for this to be the end of the matter at the time, as the victims were satisfied. Since it entered the public domain, we seem to have acted promptly and firmly, with potentially more to come. We are employers as well as a sporting team, and will have some constraints as to how far we can go without landing ourselves in trouble.
Nope. What has happened here is the club only decided to fine the players and suspend one of them AFTER the video went public. If the punishment meted out now is appropriate it was appropriate five weeks ago.

At best this is incompetence as it shows the club completely failed to spot the seriousness of the incident when it was reported. For a bar owner, who is also a club sponsor, to go to the lengths of reporting it to the club should have told them this was more than a bit of foul mouthed behaviour. As it is the club now looks like it was trying to hush it up and has only reacted after the video came out. Even if the club has not seen the video previously and is not who has allegedly paid hush money it's resulted in astonishingly bad PR due to a total mishandling of the incident. It's done massive damage to the clubs reputation.

Personally I find it incredibly hard to believe the existence of this video is news to the club. I believe the bar also has CCTV so did no one ask to look at that?

Nope. They agreed a course of action with the bar owner and the barmaid. I wasn't there, so I don't know how upset they were, but generally a key consideration in dealing with harm to others is to make sure they are happy with the level of regret and compensation. If both of them said that they were ok with that, and it was not in the public domain, why should the club treat this in the same way as now? I suppose they could have said to themselves that it would all come out, and mete out the punishment on that basis, but that seems to require a leap of prescience which would be beyond most of us. Though probably not your good self. :)
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

4 Generations wrote:Must be great being perfect.Never lost ya rag,never been drunk,never woke up and thought,HO S... did i realy.Never swore,fought,nothing at all,just perfect.
The videos a joke,social media allows it to get to 8year olds,whos mothers post on here for the first time to voice how ther child idolises these role models. Thats whats available now to 8yr olds and anyone with a phone.They live on them.Living other peoples lives.Endlessly searching for a life.Worlds mad because of it.Ther is No excuse for the behaviour from either of the brothers.Perhaps they didnt subscribe to Mr Kiplings Warriors/rugby leagues code of coduct.

If—
IF you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!'

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
' Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch,
if neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Wigan Warrior my Son.

Only sign if you wish to be legally bound
Please sign here ...........

4G
What drugs are you on you absolute barm pot? What a load of waffle. I've been drinking plenty of times but never belittled bar maids and made out I'm better than anyone. Wake up! You have to be a numpty yourself if you think that kind of behaviour is acceptable. Both of the brothers are arrogant whoppers who don't deserve to wear the cherry and white. Do you know what our club motto is? Ancient and loyal, means nothing anymore apparently. We are at rock bottom, jobs for the boys culture has to change its done too much damage already as it is!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wes wrote:
josie andrews wrote:
cherry.pie wrote: I bow down to your greater knowledge. I simply thought it was a little harsh to be blaming Rads initially when I wasn't certain what happened.

It is a complete joke if Escaré was dropped for that!!! I hate the club has favourites!!

In your opinion Josie who is the problem at the club SW, KR or IL or all of them 2 of them etc.
It’s not up to me to say, especially on a public forum. I’ve never disrespected any of the clubs management, training coaching staff or players. I’m not going to start now, but I’m very sad & unhappy at the moment that the the club I love so much has been damaged in such a way.

For our club to be the talking point in every daily & rugby league newspaper, local tv news programmes for all the wrong reasons makes me very ashamed.

Also can I just add?

This nasty incident has taken away any interest in the health of young Ryan Sutton! I’ve messaged Ryan to express my sympathy & just hope the injury isn’t as bad as it looked.

The great win by the U19’s away v Warrington.

And also the fantastic history making win by Wigan Warriors Women in progressing to the second round of their Challenge Cup with a convincing win over Leigh Miners Rangers Women.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

ian.birchall wrote:Personally I decided that Sam Tomkins was a berk of the first order when he foamed at the mouth and bad mouthed Bilko.
A cheetah never changes its spots.
(A cheetah has spots, a leopard has flowers and not spots)
Me too!
moto748

Post by moto748 »

josie andrews wrote:
The great win by the U19’s away v Warrington.

Yes, very impressive. Some good lads there. Always looked like the ball-carrier in attack had two or three option runners on his shoulders, that's what we want to see.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

My only problem with the club is that its treated as if a different punishment is required if the public know vs the public not knowing.

If they'd have come out and said the incident was dealt with in the past to the satisfaction of all involved, they wouldn't have an issue from me.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆