Tonights Game v Catalans Dragons

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
archiekeith

Re: Tonights Game v Catalans Dragons

Post by archiekeith »

fozzieskem wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:59 am Are they, missing Briers?
I'm having doubts re- MP hope it's temporary!
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Barney841 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:45 am
No straw damn us wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:41 am Morgan Smithies 62 tackles with only 1 missed!
My only criticism of him last night would be the two penalties he gave away.
This is the problem with how some talk about our players. Look at all the tackles he’s done, he needs to his game than just his tackling. This is exactly what people say about Powell
He needs more to his game, that should of said
WIGIAN

Post by WIGIAN »

There lies the issue with both Smithies and Powell if we look at defence, pretty solid if we look at attack (lets not forget they are hooker and loose forward) they offer very little. Needs balance but, play Isa at 13 or 9 if its all about the tackling. Spine is 1/6/7/9 and 13, have to admit other than Jai there's got to be a concern. Needs a big improvement for Hudds away.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

It's a while since I've watched a game and thought that we were beaten by a better side in pretty much every area.
Cats have realised that the game has changed this season - there is far more lying-on and it's not going to be penalised, except in extreme circumstances. I wish it wasn't so but we're going to have to adapt.
No one had a great game - I'll exclude the wingers because the ball hardly ever got to them.
Mago did make good yards but it always seemed to be on the fourth play and he died with the ball, never looking to offload. I'm guessing he was under instructions because manic offloading is usually a part of his game.
Powell was so slow in thought and reaction that he was frequently tackled before he could pass and any planned move broke down.
I've given up with Smithies. He's not going to change and the club seem happy for him to carry on as he does so we're going to have to put up with it.
I knew King couldn't jump or defend properly but what I was worried to see was his sheer lack of pace. If you can't defend, at least be quick in attack and he seems to be neither.
Bit hard to see where we go from here. We can smash the weaker clubs but struggle against the better ones. That's really not the Wigan way.
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

I actually thought smith had a decent game in atrocious conditions, I’m not ready to write him off yet. Mago and cooper had some good carries and that’s where the positives end. We need to desperately sort out that right edge defence, Cust, King and KPP are absolutely garbage in D. All out of position and crap at tackling. There was times last night that Cats just needed to ship the ball out wide and it would have been a walk in. All for giving players chances but King wants shipping back to where he’s come from, rather have thornley in, we let a better Centre than king go in Halsall. Agree that the pack needs an overhaul, sad thing is I can’t see us doing it to the level we need to.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

The Smithies bashing is hilarious.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Suzieb wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:42 am Can anyone tell me how many times on a rugby match a player can play almost all of the game and not pass the ball once Smithies achieved this last night very poor
Your posts always have comedy value!

If that’s your criteria for success then Powell was our best player.

It will be down to tactics than the player himself.

One thing I will say is that having a 9 and 13 who don’t offer in attack is limiting us very much.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:36 pm The Smithies bashing is hilarious.
Why?

He's good defensively but after that I struggle at times to see what he's bringing to the team at the moment
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Nathan you obviously do not know anything about rugby so I suggest you keep quiet
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:38 pm
Suzieb wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:42 am Can anyone tell me how many times on a rugby match a player can play almost all of the game and not pass the ball once Smithies achieved this last night very poor
Your posts always have comedy value!

If that’s your criteria for success then Powell was our best player.

It will be down to tactics than the player himself.

One thing I will say is that having a 9 and 13 who don’t offer in attack is limiting us very much.
That’s basically what we’re on about.
So I don’t get the comedy value comment?