Millward sacked - Post Here

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Knutsford pie man

Re: ian.birchall are you c...

Post by Knutsford pie man »

I am sorry but were the hell does this club think it is going if we sack a world class manager everytime we get a bad run of 5 results? Milward needed 2 years at least. I could see what he was doing and were we were going but oh no Maurice speaks again and we're back to the drawing board. We deserve to get relegated.javascript:emoticon(':exc:')
Exclamation
ChrisA

Re: ian.birchall are you c...

Post by ChrisA »

Knutsford pie man posted:
I am sorry but were the hell does this club think it is going if we sack a world class manager everytime we get a bad run of 5 results? Milward needed 2 years at least. I could see what he was doing and were we were going but oh no Maurice speaks again and we're back to the drawing board. We deserve to get relegated.javascript:emoticon(':exc:')
Exclamation
Pretty much my feelings, Millwards record was average at best at Wigan. He needed time, Lindsay doesn't afford anyone that luxury though does he.
ryan_warrior_4life

Re: Millward sacked - Post Her...

Post by ryan_warrior_4life »

when i heard the news i danced, i only hope a familiar face will return to coach, i never liked milward,

the players mistakes can be blamed on inexperience, but not however on milward, he is a scapegoat for a failing squad.

why do we get rid of such talent as luke robinson, danny sculthorpe etc...

i cant wait for the saints game on friday, i just hope the players will play with pride in their hearts and ancient and loyal on thier chests, not doomed and useless.
RADLINSKI... my favourite ginner ever, 2nd Scholes, 3rd bread man
robjoenz

Re: Millward sacked - Post...

Post by robjoenz »

I think Mike explained it best... if Lindsay was going to give Millward full control he shouldn't be sacking him for asserting his control and before he has had chance to do his job.

This suggests to me that Lindsay isn't willing to back his coaches 100% and sit out of proceedings. I am a believer that Millward would have turned this team around by the second half of the season then following recruitment next season we'd have been a force in SL with 17 players selected by the coach to play as the coach wants.

My concern now is that we'll get another coach in, Lindsay will think he has learnt from this experience and, continue as he has in the past, to make all the changes in the team.

If we don't get a strong coach in ASAP then Lindsay will go out and recruit replacements for all our departing players (Orr, Moran...). Players that it is essential will fit into the team (not two supporting half backs that can't control a game).

IMO sacking Millward now is admittance from Lindsay that he cannot choose a top coach. I would suggest a change of scenery, could he not slip solely into the Latics role and out of the Warriors. Then he can throw money at their charge for EUFA cup?!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

robjoenz posted:
I think Mike explained it best... if Lindsay was going to give Millward full control he shouldn't be sacking him for asserting his control and before he has had chance to do his job.
I don't think we can lay the blame for the sacking at Mo's door. There is now a board of directors at the club and unless the majority of them agreed with this then it would not have happened.

It was only last week Mo was backing Millward for the long haul and this leads me to believe it may even not have been Mo's idea.
I am a believer that Millward would have turned this team around by the second half of the season then following recruitment next season we'd have been a force in SL with 17 players selected by the coach to play as the coach wants.
A similar thought crossed my mind in that we already have some of Millwards chosen players here and now the new coach will want to play differently which may mean players such as Higham end up playing an unfamiliar game so we are back to square one again.

Dave
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

DaveO posted:
robjoenz posted:
I don't think we can lay the blame for the sacking at Mo's door. There is now a board of directors at the club and unless the majority of them agreed with this then it would not have happened.

It was only last week Mo was backing Millward for the long haul and this leads me to believe it may even not have been Mo's idea.
I am a believer that Millward would have turned this team around by the second half of the season then following recruitment next season we'd have been a force in SL with 17 players selected by the coach to play as the coach wants.
A similar thought crossed my mind in that we already have some of Millwards chosen players here and now the new coach will want to play differently which may mean players such as Higham end up playing an unfamiliar game so we are back to square one again.

Dave
So, what criteria do we use for selecting a new coach? One with good results? One who the players will like? One that Lindsay and the board will like? One who will do what he's told?
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

DaveO posted:
robjoenz posted:

I've mentioned it elsewhere, but it might be worth remembering that our blue cousins have at least as much experience as us at firing coaches in times of trouble. Wasn't it 3 in one season prior to Jewell's arrival? The two Latics directors will have had a say in this as well, not just ML, and there may also be the hand of DW in there as well.

Thinking about the 10 coaches in 10 years, they're not all down to ML either. West, Hughes, Monie and Goodway were all pre-ML's return. Endacott was fired for losing to Salford and London despite the club being almost top of the league (how times change when you get fired for such mistakes as losing to Salford!), but probably his face didn't fit. Raper had already decided to leave and the club presumably felt he was no longer motivated at Wigan. Gregs' leaving was nobody's fault, and most people couldn't wait to get rid of Betts. Sacking Monie was a disgrace, but I don't think many would argue against getting rid of Hughes or Goodway.

Dave
Millward had made a huge number of changes to the club since he took over, including an almost complete revamp of the backroom staff. Someone reminded us that IM said he was going to change things to solve our massive injury problems last year, and all that's happened is that we've got different types of injuries this year, but the number of wounded players is equally high. The players are no more motivated than under Betts, and he seems to have completely failed to get some talented players to perform. Should he have been given longer to change things? Maybe, but he would have needed to show some plan of action and to me he seemed increasingly lacking in ideas except to say that things during games weren't going as they were in practice. I'm assuming the board thought the same thing.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

GeoffN posted:
So, what criteria do we use for selecting a new coach? One with good results? One who the players will like? One that Lindsay and the board will like? One who will do what he's told?
Millward was always a controversial character, and I never really saw that aspect of him fitting in at Wigan. I also have ML as being very ego-centric and wanting to be the main man, and he doesn't seem to like it if the coach has more visibility than him. Again it seemed strange to me that he would appoint someone who was always going to attract the attention of the media. Last time we had a coach like that (Endacott) he didn't fit in with ML either because he was media-friendly. Raper, Gregory and Betts weren't really people the media would focus on (some of us still need subtitles for Betts!) allowing ML to make his big announcements to the world. So I think someone a bit less high-profile is likely, which probably rules out Brian Noble who has been rumoured.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
meatpie2005

Re: millward sacked

Post by meatpie2005 »

Be alreeeeeeeet, just go down 2 stains, get pissed and eat pie. :(
LatTolly

Re: millward sacked

Post by LatTolly »

Right decision. Such a bad start and I think coach was guilty of that.

Lets pray for new excellent coach. :blush: